When did you stop craving?

Options
After how many days after quitting did you stop craving for a cigarette?
Mine is always coming back as soon as I see someone smoking, doesn't even matter if it is in real life or not, watching mad men is now a torture :(
ps Been smoke-free for 2 weeks

Replies

• mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am at a little over a month now and I think the only time I have vaguely craved one is when I have had two or three beers. So maybe twice in the last three weeks. My fiance still smokes and when I smell his I remember why I quit.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My fiance quit 14 years ago and he says there is always a time that something triggers the need for one but he's never, ever even taken a puff since quitting.

It's been 2 months on and off that I've been quitting. I have days that I can go all day without even thinking about smoking. There are days that are torture. My son lives at home with me and he smokes, it's much harder with him around. It takes a lot of will power whether you do it cold turkey or with help from patches, nicotine gum or anything. Just stay strong. I intend to make it without any slip this time.
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    I stopped craving a cig after 3 weeks! But it was hell on high heels until then!!!
    I used Wellbutrin and cold turkey, no Nicorette or anything like that. I got tons of support from my friends, partner and family. I told people that I was quitting and I had a set date. I started Wellbutrin five days before my quit date. I actually used the Quitline 1x and went on stop smoking forums and such. I read about the withdrawals beforehand and during my quit.
    I have never been so happy to quit smoking and stay quit! I have been smoke free for 41 days and I dont see myself going back!! I am grateful to be smoke free! One great resource for me was Nicotine Anonymous - I didn't go to any meetings, but being part of another fellowship influenced me to read some of the literature. Great stuff and great slogans!
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    3 weeks, 2 days smoke free. I don't think the "desire" will ever go away but I am aware that ONE puff and I will be hooked again. I don't take that chance. Craving?? I think the nicotene craving is gone but the desire is still there. I have a lot of conflicting thoughts in my head ,I know its the addiction talking, so I refuse to listen or obey the addiction.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for 108 days and nicotine free for more than half of that time (I used the patch). I don't have serious cravings anymore...getting over that desire to have one first thing in the morning was tough for the first few weeks but in time, that diminished, as so most of the other cravings.

I still have a 'wow, it would be kind of nice to smoke' feeling every now and again, but I wouldn't call that a craving.

IMO, that goes away only in time. I would imagine in another 180 days things will be easier than they are now, and right now they're pretty darn easy!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Haven't touched a cigarette at all and stopped using the patch weeks ago. I find that there is the odd time in my mind I think I need a cigarette but if I smell cigarette smoke it stinks. I've been around people that smoke beside me and it doesn't bother me I keep thinking how long it took to get to where I am and I will not let myself slip. All it takes is one puff and it becomes a vicious cycle. I keep lollipops around, they help.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It is getting easier... I think sometimes they only come to my mind maybe 2-3 times a day and I push the thoughts out of my mind. It typically only last for a couple of minutes.
  • OasisintheDesert
    Options
    I quit 3 mths ago, using the patch and gum together. I've been off the patch for a month now, but am still using the gum, about 4 a day. I can't seem to stop having the cravings, or.....am I using it as a diet aid to stop the munchies? I don't know! But I quit smoking, and now I'm focusing on what I eat and getting some exercise, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it quite yet. But I do seem to be getting a lot of cravings still.
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I smoked my last cigarette about 1 hr ago! I pray I don't gain the weight back that I lost. That just might drive me back to smoking.