What should we do mid-binge??

Options
I just stopped myself in the middle of a "mini" binge. I wanted to have an all-out binge, but I ended up only having a 1/2 a cup of ice cream. I told myself to slow down while I was eating, and I thought to myself "I'm trying to be binge free, this isn't worth it." I put down the ice cream and threw it out. I wrote this about a month ago when I had a similar experience mid binge:

"So my dad bought a gallon of ice cream, for the first time in about a month. He was standing up and binging on it (yeah, it runs in the family). Ice cream is a HUGE binge trigger for me. I don't know why. I ended up binging on it and had about 2 cups, which isn't so bad, considering I usually will consume massive more amounts of it. And my net is still 1500!! This is the first binge I have ever had in which I did not feel guilty during or after the binge. I felt a content awareness while binging. I was able to spot my food trigger (the ice cream), reflect on my mood (which was irritable all day), and reflect on what I ate today. I came to the conclusion that ice cream is a trigger food, I was moody all day, and I didn't eat enough nutrients for the day. I burned a lot of calories during spin, and was only netting 1,000. I don't think this was enough for me, which triggered cravings and the binge. I have come to the realization that I am going to pathologize my binge eating habits and treat it the same way as AA would treat a person who suffers from alcoholism. I am a binge eater, I have always been a binge eater, and I will always be a binge eater. I had a relapse, and will probably have future ones. It is going to be a lifetime struggle that I'm going to have to work on each day. A binge is not a setback, it is an opportunity to reflect on what triggered my binge and to get back to track the next day. If I could find my triggers, I could more easily find another coping skill besides binging. This is a huge breakthrough for me. I have never binged and felt no guilt afterwards. I actually feel content. I feel that I have a stronger awareness of my psych in relation to the binge. I don't think that I will ever gain a significant amount of weight again (knock on wood). A binge is usually a setback for me, and causes me to binge and binge because I already ****ed up. I honestly feel that after a lapse, I can just move on and eat healthy during the next meal. I am so happy right now. This is a first after a binge!!!"

During today's binge, I realized that the ice cream is a trigger for me. I was also having some anxious thoughts today. I ate pretty nutritiously for breakfast and lunch though, so I don't think lack of nutrition was a factor today.

I think that if we can be more aware of our triggers and emotions, especialy during a binge, we can tell ourselves to slow down. In Geneen Roth's book, "Women, Food, and God" (I highly recommend it. I am going to read it again), she quoted: "Compulsive eating and awareness cannot co-exist." Thus, if you are self-aware, you will not binge. There is a lot more to it than this, but that is the main premise.

Replies

• SkrillexAsh
    SkrillexAsh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just talked myself out of a binge too.. I'm bored today and i know that's why i want to binge. I also just gave my secret stash of chocolate to my brother before i could dig into it! lol.. But it seriously helps if you just stop for a second and talk to yourself.. why am i doing this?? am i actually hungry or just bored?? then i think about the 4lbs i have lost so far and think.. is it really worth it to ruin my progress over this food?? NO!!
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you and LOVED what you wrote!! I have a bunch of tips posted on my wall of options to do when I feel I'm going to go on a binge. The problem is, I feel like that once I start binging, I have to finish. I feel like if I dont, I am a failure at that. WHEN NOOOO, if I stop mid-binge, then I am a success & can perhaps avoid the feeling horrible and guilty feelings Im stuck with after a binge.

I have a good idea of what sets me up for a biinge, but sometimes I binge to punish myself if I wasn't good that day whether it being eating right, messed up, etc. It's such a cruel cycle because I figured well WAY TO GO, you ****ed up your day so might as well continue effing it up all day & night until you force yourself iinto bed feeling disgusted with yourself.

Now that I have this group, I'm going to take on some tips everyone has mentioned, esp HOW AM I FEELING, WHY AM I EATING, and do what my nutritionist and I set up - which is we wrote down a LIST of OPTIONS of things to do before eating or after I'm done eating and want to eat more. I have it hanging on my wall. Also I have poster of things I wrote saying "BE INTUITIVE"

I wish I could say I've been binge free, but it's still a battle - ONE that I'm ready to commit to breaking esp for this month with summer coming !
  • Sejanus203
    Sejanus203 Posts: 12
    Options
    @SkrillexAsh and meganraelo--I admire that you both can rationalize out of a binge! I really wish I was at that point. I find that by the time I start, there is very little chance that I will be able to talk myself out of it. For me, my best bet is to not even start a binge (which isn't easy either :frown: )
  • cwnicol
    cwnicol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but I haven't really been able to stop myself mid-binge. I admire all of you who have been successful at it.... I wish I could. Only if other people are around, can I pull myself together, but if I go home to an empty house after having sweets at a party, watch out! I'm out of control. Desserts really are a trigger for me so for me the best thing to do is to not start.
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    Once I start I don't stop until I am in physical pain, so I have no idea. :frown:
  • pinkbook77
    Options
    I once heard "you might be out of control one minute but you can choose to be in control the next."

I remind myself of this if in the middle and it reminds me I am in control of my choices....(it works, some days better then others)
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    for me, i say `slowwwww down.....forgive yourself.` its become a mantra for me. i tend to negatively self-talk to myself with fuels my binges. so like, instead of telling myself `ugh what a fat grotbag why the **** are you doing this might as well keep going, youve ruined yourself enough already` i tell myself `slowwww down, baby. forgive yourself. something is bothering you. why dont we go into the other room to fix it?` its like, a snake charmer trying to calm down a wild anaconda and most days it just feels like i am ripping myself away from the kitchen cabinets

sometimes i get stubborn and gollum-like and that `binge voice` shouts back `NEVERRRRRR!!!! GON FINISH EATING` but i just keep telling myself to forgivemyself, forgivemyself, forgive myself. its hard to shovel food into myself when i treat myself nice like that. :ohwell:

also, listening to my workout playlist helps. i just pop in my headphones and i am instantly transported to that `place` at the gym.