Why did I do it to myself?

Options
bewitchinglife
bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
I made a glutenous cake for a friend on Sunday (and a GF one for me) and I heard nothing but rave reviews about my cake. So while alone in the kitchen I ate. ONE. BITE.

Four days later, I'm still achy, stiff, look pregnant and am having terrible belly pain. Why oh why do I do this to myself?

After being so good for so long I always get this intrepid feeling that one bite or maybe even one meal won't matter and I indulge and I always pay for it. Always.

Am I the only one that does this? Most of the time I'm crazy diligent, but every now and then I forget how bad it is for me. Sigh.

I wish I'd learn.

It was damn good cake though. :smile:

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're hurting.

This is exactly why my kitchen is GF all the time. It's too hard to avoid when its shoved into my face! (Well, that and I don't want to contaminate my baking utensils)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    So why did you do it? You need to answer that in order to move forward.

You made your own gluten-free cake. Why did you feel the need to eat a bite of the gluten cake?

For that matter, why did you make your friend a gluten cake instead of a gluten-free cake that would be okay for you to eat too?
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    yeah i do it. stupid, stupid, stupid. one day i will learn, as im sure you will too!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Stuff happens. Never forget how bad you feel.

I admit to still dreaming about eating food with gluten. No really, I do. Can we control our dreams? I don't know. The dream is like I eat something and then I'm in panic mode that I ate something with gluten.

Take care; hope you feel better soon.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hi there...

I just agreed to make cupcakes for a graduation open house. This is the first time I have made cupcakes since my diagnosis and going on a strict GF diet. I didn't want to do it... it was against my better judgement.... but then I thought, as long as I don't try it I will be ok.

You see.... I have had a cupcake side business for the last two years....

So I made the first batch last night. I have been sick all day today.... it is awful. I have to make two more batches tonight!

Needless to say, I will not continue to bake gluten containing desserts any longer....

Good luck, and feel better!
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I have never intentionally ingested gluten since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease two years ago. Trust me, it's certainly not becase I'm disciplined or I wouldn't be the yoyo dieter I've been all these years. It's because my GI doctor straight out told me how dangerous it was for me. For those with Celiac, I'd strongly suggest reading the book Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic by Dr.Peter Greene. I got more info in the first two chapters than out of all the searches I did on the internet. It really did help me to understand that for me, ingesting gluten is very similar to ingesting rat poison. Just not worth the damage being done. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Same here. Never cheat, never ever. Although I have( by accident) consumed something that I shouldn´t have. About 5-6 times in the 7 years I have been diagnosed. And I will say for sure that I have no doubt that I can´t eat it!!!

I do wish that I was as strict with my dieting as I am with my celiac :)

But hope you feel better and learn from your experience.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I have never intentionally ingested gluten since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease two years ago. Trust me, it's certainly not becase I'm disciplined or I wouldn't be the yoyo dieter I've been all these years. It's because my GI doctor straight out told me how dangerous it was for me. For those with Celiac, I'd strongly suggest reading the book Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic by Dr.Peter Greene. I got more info in the first two chapters than out of all the searches I did on the internet. It really did help me to understand that for me, ingesting gluten is very similar to ingesting rat poison. Just not worth the damage being done. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

I've also been told that the damage from eating 1/16 of a slice of bread will take six weeks to heal. I've never intentionally eaten anything either although i know how hard it can be. Luckily i have found a fantastic cake shop that makes delicious egg, gluten, diary and soya free cakes - I'm treating myself to a muffins when I've lost 25 lbs.
  • lakerschick275
    lakerschick275 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ugh I do the same thing too :/ Im gluten intolerant and casein intolerant and I do so well for x amount of days and then figure maybe one bite of something won't hurt and I pay. Do you swell and gain a lot of water weight as well?
  • Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I gave up gluten for the sake of my fiance who is highly allergic to it... Celiac disease is what I think it's called. If i so much as eat it and then kiss him he could feel a little sick so therefore it's hard to indulge in the foods that I loved as I love him more :) ...

I wish you the best on not eating any more gluten stuff :)
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!!!! Let me give you a suggestion that a doctor friend gave me.. Sounds gross but it works. Take that bite of cake, chew it and enjoy it.. Then SPIT it out..... You still get the flavor but not the gluten in your system......I have done that many times when I wanted to enjoy the taste of something good.....Because it is the taste of the food that you want.....
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I gave up gluten for the sake of my fiance who is highly allergic to it... Celiac disease is what I think it's called. If i so much as eat it and then kiss him he could feel a little sick so therefore it's hard to indulge in the foods that I loved as I love him more :) ...

I wish you the best on not eating any more gluten stuff :)

Awwww... what a gift to him! That's really amazing.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Ingesting even a crumb is enough to make some people extremely sick. There is no way you can put something in your mouth and chew it up and not swallow a tiny crumb of it afterward. Besides which, you will never wean yourself off of those gluten foods and may not have the willpower to spit it out afterward. I wouldn't suggest this!

You are not alone!!!! Let me give you a suggestion that a doctor friend gave me.. Sounds gross but it works. Take that bite of cake, chew it and enjoy it.. Then SPIT it out..... You still get the flavor but not the gluten in your system......I have done that many times when I wanted to enjoy the taste of something good.....Because it is the taste of the food that you want.....
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ingesting even a crumb is enough to make some people extremely sick. There is no way you can put something in your mouth and chew it up and not swallow a tiny crumb of it afterward. Besides which, you will never wean yourself off of those gluten foods and may not have the willpower to spit it out afterward. I wouldn't suggest this!

Yeah, please don't do this. You will never get off those gluten foods!!

I, too, get sick if my husband eats something with gluten and I kiss him. And I SWEAR gluten free can be just as good as the bad stuff. My family has been iffy on my gluten freeness for years, but even my super picky Dad has agreed that my cakes, are pretty dang good :). Devils food, vanilla, yellow cake, blueberry, apple, mulberry pie... it IS possible to create delicious tasting gluten free food. And every day they are coming out with more gluten free creations in the grocery store. When we started this journey, I couldn't find a decent loaf of gf bread. Now there's Kinnicknick, Udi's, and Rudi's - Trader Joe's has a store brand that's pretty decent.

There is no need to poison yourself.

The first couple of weeks are the hardest, after that it gets so much easier. I have not intentionally glutened myself since going GF. And believe me, it has been tempting!! Watching my husband eat my very favorite foods, and sharing with our youngest (our oldest is possible Celiac as well), its really freaking hard. But I know how bad I'll feel if I so much as stick my nose too close to smell it, and is it NOT worth it.

My kitchen is also GF because the risk of cross contamination is so bad. Husband has one bit of counter he can use for making sandwichesand his own toaster, but all my pots and pans, and my KitchenAid are GF. Flours get into everything, and its impossible to clean it all out.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    It can be hard to get your head around this if you are a celiac who is symptomless, or you don't have obvious or severe reactions. But it still makes you sick. Avoid it like the poison it is for you.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    I am not celiac but I have some sort of gluten intolerance and gave up gluten last week and after four days lost eight pounds of bloating and fluid retention. Makes me wonder what makes me eat it.