Alcohol

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I feel so guilty when I strive to eat healthy all day, and then decide to drink a beer in the evening. Does anyone else feel guilty for this?

Replies

• kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I'm fighting that desire as we speak!!! :laugh: In all seriousness, I do feel like it defeats the purpose... especially when you're doing a lower carb diet!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Red wine is ok, right??
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Beer, being grain-based, is not generally considered a part of the paleo/primal lifestyle - mostly because since it is not a distilled beverage, most of the things that makes grains a bad thing are still there.

Wine, although made from fruit, is more accepted because the primary no-no - sugar - has largely been converted to alcohol.

Distilled spirits are a toss-up. Nearly all are grain-based (except tequila), but the distillation process leaves all but a minute fraction of impurities behind.

Personally? I gave beer up, drink red wine as the adult beverage of choice, and have a nice single malt scotch when I feel I deserve it. ;)
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many I have. But generally not.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cookies make me feel guilty. Booze does not.
  • banksave
    banksave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been dabling in Bud Select 55's... like only 1.7 grams of carbs and obviously 55 calories... run an extra hour on the treadmill and you might be able to get a buzz :)

:smile:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I notice a big difference in my scale for several days after I have had more than a glass of wine. I try to do one or two glasses of really good wine if I am having a great meal. I type this after leaving a 4 day trip to Vegas where I committed some paleo-sins
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty, but I don't feel good, either. I never thought I would say this but I could aaaaaalmost give up alcohol completely. Ever since getting on the Paleo/Primal wagon I just don't enjoy a drink like I used to. I get hangover effects from less than 2 glasses of wine. :-/
  • kaiman1
    kaiman1 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am very surprised to see that about 15% of my daily calories come from Alcohol. This includes the glass of wine here and there and one or the other beer.
    In total amount of alcohol this is not a problem, health wise, but is actually in the range of where alcohol is healthy ( think that was up to 40g per day).

However, I do feel guilty because beer is grain based.
    I try to keep it to a minimum, but since beer is a huge quality of life factor for me (I am Bavarian :-) ) I will not cut it out.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think Alcohol is the "20" of my 80/20 aim (OK, I really am trying to stick to more of a 90/10 primal:"SAD" foods ratio). After a week of eating healthy foods and fitting in a couple workouts, I see nothing wrong with my friday night glass of wine...or two