Hi New to the Group

Options
Momma_Grizz
Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
Hi I'm Teri and I turn 50 this year. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. This is my second journey of weight loss. My first journey started in 2007 and I lost 153 pounds in 14 months. Kept it off for almost 2 and half years, but alas, have since gained back 50 (from my lowest weight). I'm looking at losing 30 of those additional pounds and would like to do it before my 50th birthday in September. Could be an unrealistic goal with the way my metabolism is these days....don't know, but I am going to try. I don't fully understand this other journey I'm on (the big 'M') but I know it's here (it's been confirmed through blood test) and I hope to take both journies with other women who are experiencing the same thing for support and to share tips and tricks, etc.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Greetings Teri, good luck with the weight loss and the other thing!
    Sounds like you already earned a medal with previous weight loss so what's your secret? Don't tell me hard work and persistence. :(
    I would love to visit your part of the world one day, but probably will never get the chance.
  • weoclo
    weoclo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, Teri! I will be 50 in Sept too... My weight struggle has been life-long, unfortunately. Some minor successes along the way, but currently feeling like a failure. Today is my planning and cooking day, tomorrow is just an over-all, chaotic, away from home day, so Monday is "the" day...

Sounds like you have enjoyed some great success in the past! How did you do it? Are you following the same plan this time?

Good luck! Together, we can do this!!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This time of our lives is definitely more of a challenge weight-wise. I just turned 52 and have struggled for a long time with my weight. It is finally, with persistence and accountability, coming off slowly. (30 lbs since 1/2011) I have had to readjust my goals as far as when I want to have the weight off. Be patient and willing to alter your plans of losing by a certain time. Losing slowly is much, much better and more long-term for keeping it off.

You'll also find, I think, that most of us at this stage in life have to watch our sodium and carbs very carefully. I found that setting my sodium at 1500 instead of the typical 2500 was a huge benefit. Whenever I go over that goal the weight does not come off.

Glad to have you in this group. You will get good encouragement here!
  • Momma_Grizz
    Options
    Sounds like you have enjoyed some great success in the past! How did you do it? Are you following the same plan this time?

Good luck! Together, we can do this!!

When I lost 153 pounds I was on weight watchers - it took me 14 months to get to goal. I made it to lifetime and worked for them for a while. Today I'm strictly on MFP and am finding the tracking easier (and way less expensive that's for sure - lol).
  • Mary831331
    Mary831331 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 in October, and in November, I had hammertoe surgery. I am also a WW member, and I became a lifetime member back in 2010, but I've since then gained back 30 lbs. I love this site. It's the best - so many motivating and supportive people on here. I am still going to WW meetings, but I thought that I would start tracking on here instead of in my journal. Seems much easier. Since I am a lifetime member, I only have to weigh in at WW once a month (and pay then too), so I'll just weight in at home, and once a month, weigh in at WW. Best of luck to all of you.
  • katiegc
    katiegc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was in Weight Watchers a few years ago and enjoyed Lifetime status. Congrats on that, it's quite an achievement. MFP has been a great transition for me as well. I prefer journaling here and the community is very friendly. It's just icing on the cake that it's free. :happy:
  • Momma_Grizz
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome! It is a nice transition and I'm finding it so much easier. And friendly!

:drinker: <----yes, that's a double fisted water drinker - lol.
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Grizz- That's impressive. I can hardly drink water with one hand. If I drink two glasses, then I feel like an acquarium with legs as I go about my afternoon. :noway: haha That is my goal for June and the rest of the summer-to increase my water intake.

What is everybody else aiming for in the short term? Those mini goals are important steps in getting to the big one. :wink:

Have a lovely day, everyone.