Dr. Shintani's "Eat More, Weigh Less" book.......

Options
Has anyone read this book? And if so what are your thoughts? It was written 1993 with my book as a 10th printing in 1998. When I started this EM2WL group I was also browsing www.thriftbooks.com for books to read and I saw this book so bought it thinking it was the same thing. It pretty much is (I'm only half way through) but there are some things I've never heard of before. For example that complex carbs are only 1 cal per gram vs. the 4 cals per gram for all carbs. And fiber has no cals per gram. I have never heard this before. It also says that we should stay away from meat as much as possible but that its not a vegetarian book. So we basically just eat all grains with very little meat or dairy. Actually 50% carbs with 15% fat. it says to stay away from fat because fat makes you fat. When I was browsing bodybuilding.com they did only eat 10-20% fat. We are to get our calciium from vegetables (there is a graph on what veggies have a lot of calcium) as well as protein because we are eating however mjuch of veggies and grains as we can.

Posting this because I am just wondering since this was written in 1993 but 10 more printings with mine at 1998 is it just plain out of date or have you heard these things as well?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of this, I will have to check it out.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Have seen it and much of the info IS outdated. We have since found that fat is necessary, and all fat does not make you fat. Certain types of fat even help you to stay slim. We don't recommend anyone going that low in fat. Below 20% is not a healthy fat intake.

Bodybuilders are often going to unhealthy levels of bodyfat, and for very short time periods, just to peak for the stage. They cannot stay at that level of bf% for very long.

Absolutely not recommended.

Kiki
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Have seen it and much of the info IS outdated. We have since found that fat is necessary, and all fat does not make you fat. Certain types of fat even help you to stay slim. We don't recommend anyone going that low in fat. Below 20% is not a healthy fat intake.

Bodybuilders are often going to unhealthy levels of bodyfat, and for very short time periods, just to peak for the stage. They cannot stay at that level of bf% for very long.

Absolutely not recommended.

Kiki
    THANKYOU!!! What about fiber not having calories? and also complex carbs basically only have 1 cal per gram? I found that very odd.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    It's kinda true, and yet, not really... because carbs are all combined when considering a food as a whole. Fiber "technically" contributes no calories because it cannot be digested, so we subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbohydrate. The remaining carbohydrates consist of sugars and starches. There aren't very many whole foods where these items exist apart from one another. It would basically be another version of a low carb diet, which isn't recommended unless you have medical issues (ie. celiac, diabetes, gluten intolerance) that require you to omit carbs. Your fiber choices would become very limited as well, because with higher fiber comes higher carbs, with exception to a few foods like: flaxseeds, nuts, and veggies (which all still have carbs), and then there are the sources where the fiber is removed from the carb, like wheat bran, etc. which actually becomes devoid of its nutrients once stripped from the germ & endosperm of the berry.

Kiki
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou soooooo much kiki! Think I'm throwing the book out...lol.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's kinda true, and yet, not really... because carbs are all combined when considering a food as a whole. Fiber "technically" contributes no calories because it cannot be digested, so we subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbohydrate. The remaining carbohydrates consist of sugars and starches. There aren't very many whole foods where these items exist apart from one another. It would basically be another version of a low carb diet, which isn't recommended unless you have medical issues (ie. celiac, diabetes, gluten intolerance) that require you to omit carbs. Your fiber choices would become very limited as well, because with higher fiber comes higher carbs, with exception to a few foods like: flaxseeds, nuts, and veggies (which all still have carbs), and then there are the sources where the fiber is removed from the carb, like wheat bran, etc. which actually becomes devoid of its nutrients once stripped from the germ & endosperm of the berry.

Kiki

Depending on the type, Fiber can be fermented into short chain fatty acids, proving roughly 2 calories per gram.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Apart from what's been said already, I hate the part where "fat = fat on your body"... Fat from animals, and some plants, is a necessary source of fuel and for organ function (especially liver). Try to build muscle on zero fat, I dare you!

Thankfully nutrition has evolved since 1993. :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Apart from what's been said already, I hate the part where "fat = fat on your body"... Fat from animals, and some plants, is a necessary source of fuel and for organ function (especially liver). Try to build muscle on zero fat, I dare you!

Oh YES!!! Exactly what i was thinking when I read this. I'm like WHAT!!!??? Throwing the book out now. Just dont even want to finish reading it.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options

exactly. The low fat craze was and is detrimental to those who still believe it :grumble:

:heart: my fats.....and my carbs :blushing:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It's sounds pretty outdated to me! I am following the diet guidelines in NROL which seems much more up to date.