Week 6, June 3 to June 9

Options
Week 5 was a doozy, but we did it!, Bring on Week 6!!

Day 1:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
five-minute cool down walk.

Day 2:
"Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)

Day 3:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
jog 2-1/4 miles (or 25 minutes) with no walking.

Remember to update the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqs2MH7Y8hmQdEszbjJSMEhyTTRRbE5ETkdZN0oyZFE#gid=0

Replies

• RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do week 5 day 2 tomorrow! I can't believe I've made it this far! I love to cycle, but running has never been my favorite thing. I'm growing to look forward to my runs, though! Thank God for my c25k iphone app!!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Just completed week 6 day 1, and signed up for my first post C25K race! , the race actually falls on day 2 of week 9 for me.. looking forward to it.
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have to repeat week 5 because of injury/getting sick. My race got bumped to September though, so I have time :smile:
  • sara6636
    sara6636 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note on how much this has been a mental exercise for me as well as a physical one. I was doing the 10 minute run, 5 walk, 10 run the other day, and for whatever reason, I forgot to stop after the first 10 minutes and ran for about another three. This meant I only had a 2 minute walk if I were going to stay on schedule. For whatever reason, this messed me up mentally, and for the first time in this program I had to walk during one of the run sections.

During the second 10 minute run I walked for 2 minutes to "make up for" what I'd lost in the first run. Physically, I felt ok (not great, I had just run 13 minutes! but ok), but mentally, I just couldn't do it. I need to really work on that aspect of the C25k-especially as the run portions get longer.

But as Scarlett told us, tomorrow is another day, so I'll be back at it again this week!
  • RoadkingDavid
    Options
    sara, i know the feeling! my program paused and i ran until i thought hmmmmmm i am running too long. Hahaha! I got aggravated and had to play with it to reset for the remainder of the program... all while jogging and fussing up a blue streak! But I did it!
  • sara6636
    sara6636 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Made it through Day 2 without stopping, but I think I might redo Week 6. I am looking forward to red lights a liiiittle bit too much on these runs to feel totally comfortable!!!
  • thebassdrumheavy
    thebassdrumheavy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a week behind, on week 5, but it's feeling like I'm going to have to repeat a little bit of week 4. My body wasn't liking the run yesterday. i got through most of it, but couldn't finish. I'm going to go back a couple days and repeat them before I start moving forward again. Great job everyone! I'll catch up to you guys soon! :)
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Did day 1 week 7 today. I made it through with one 30 seoncd stop but it was tough for me, esp the last 5 minutes. May be a repeat week. We'll see how it goes.

So, the podcast I listen to said it was a 25 min run, about 2.5 miles. My treadmill said I went 2.37 miles, my Nike+ on my Ipod said 3.3 miles. Which do you think I should go with? That's a big difference! I was going 4.3 mph.
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm about a week behind as well I did week 5 day 2 today but I plan to try and get week 6 day 1 in on saturday. I was wondering if there is something I can do to help increase my speed?
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are thebassdrumhe. I just ran week 5 day 1 for the second time, and I couldn't finish! I walked most of it. Sigh, oh well, i am sure it is just because I have not been running for the last week, being sick and all. Hopefully I will catch up soon
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Day 1 is in the books. I did it outside and it was hard, but I completed it!
  • RoadkingDavid
    Options
    I did it!! the first workout with 20 minutes of nonstop running!!! I wanted to stop so badly around 15 minutes, but I kept pushing and focusing on the horizon with my iphone rocking me on!! Woohoo!!!
  • peteb79
    Options
    I did it!! the first workout with 20 minutes of nonstop running!!! I wanted to stop so badly around 15 minutes, but I kept pushing and focusing on the horizon with my iphone rocking me on!! Woohoo!!!

Way to go!, it's an amazing feeling.. when my son and I did it, we were like, there's no way we can do this... but I almost find it easier than the short intervals because we didn't have to worry about looking forward to an 'end'.. we could just run.. and focus on breathing and form and of course the music!
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all who are making it through!!! Wow - hard to believe we've come this far!!

Just finished week 5 day 2. Was hoping to catch up but looks like i will be a week behind for the remainder of the c25k.

Read many post and agree with all of them : ). Almost easier to keep running now rather than taking a break. Tomorrow is my 20 minute run so we will see how it goes. Cant believe I can actually do this!!!!
  • peteb79
    Options
    Just finished week 6 day 3, 25 minutes!
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 6 day 3, 25 minutes!

How was it? Harder than the 20 minute run?
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note on how much this has been a mental exercise for me as well as a physical one. I was doing the 10 minute run, 5 walk, 10 run the other day, and for whatever reason, I forgot to stop after the first 10 minutes and ran for about another three. This meant I only had a 2 minute walk if I were going to stay on schedule. For whatever reason, this messed me up mentally, and for the first time in this program I had to walk during one of the run sections.

During the second 10 minute run I walked for 2 minutes to "make up for" what I'd lost in the first run. Physically, I felt ok (not great, I had just run 13 minutes! but ok), but mentally, I just couldn't do it. I need to really work on that aspect of the C25k-especially as the run portions get longer.

But as Scarlett told us, tomorrow is another day, so I'll be back at it again this week!

I completely understand. This is mainly mental for me as well. When I did the 20 minute run, I had to literally talk myself through it. I wasn't hurting, my breath was under control but I just wanted to stop. Running is not a fun thing for me but I am capable of doing it, so I have to mentally make myself go.
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    week 5 day 3 done and onto week 6 - YEAH.

This is too funny - i read every post and agree with everyone - even if its contradictory.

The first few minutes of the 20 minute run was a total mental game - i was thinking for about 3 minutesi will never make it. About 10 minutes in I though i never want to stop!! With about 2 minutes left i felt like I was going to die - but then the timer on the app indicated cool down and i didnt want to stop so i kept running another 4 minutes -- GO FIGURE!!

I also have never considered myself a "runner', but once i got into this run it was almost nice to keep running rather than worry about were i was in the program. And now I am actually looking forward to week 6. Cant believe I've been doing this for 6 weeks. How long does it take for something to be considered a habit --- is that 6 weeks - or 21 days straight? Something like that.

WHATEVER - not sure how longs it been since I've actually jogged for 24 minutes straight ---- hmmm 10 years???
  • RoadkingDavid
    Options
    Week 6 day 1 in the light rain this morning and it was wonderful! Honestly, this is the first run I found myself enjoying. I even ran a bit more!
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of all of you that are doing so well. I've been doing well on the treadmill but every time I take it oustside it results in epic failure. What the heck am I doing wrong? I knew transitioning from the treadmill to outside wouldn't be easy but I feel like I haven't accomplished anything in the last 6 weeks, that the treadmill work just doesn't count.

I'm not quitting. I know ultimately whether I run outside or in I'm still doing my body good. I just need to re-focus and start all over again...outside this time.