BP progress since joining MFP

Options
angelcop74
angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
After 3 months of diet and exercise on MFP, trying to keep my sodium below 1500mg per day, and quitting smoking and Decongestant.. my BP is down to 141/87 -- Down from 170/100!

It's still high, but it's down so much i feel great. I just have to keep up the hard work!

Replies

• idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! It's amazing how much better a person feels after eating healthier and being more active.
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. I just started today to apply the DASH diet principles and track here. I am prehypertensive and trying to avoid meds. I have been in the 135/90 range so goal is to get under 130 for short term. Highest ever was 155/98. Keep up the good work!!
  • angelcop74
    Options
    hopefully the more i do the better it gets! Im eating alot better than i was 6 months ago!
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Since I joined this group my salt intake has gone way down. I still eat some foods that are not good for me, but I am relying on the many really good foods to help balance my body. BP-134/80. And that's before my med! Before I started this group it was running "really" high, and that was with 2 anti-hypertensive pills. Thanks for all the support.
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    I love seeing everyone's positive stories...

My bp has dropped drastically since joining back in march (when i started following DASH), but then again I had just started my latest/newest regiment of pills. Previously it had jumped up to the 200+/120+ range during one ER trip (and I was on 2 pills at the time)..
    Right now my bp is sort of seesawing. In the afternoons it has been as low as 100/60 (too low, i get dizzy leaning over and then standing up) but when I get off work at 2am it will be 130/80, I take my meds at noon and midnight.

I see my cardiologist Monday and I'm hoping to reduce one of my 6 meds... I have lost around 20 pounds, we'll see what the official "doctor" scales have to say. So far the loss has been all diet, no exercise. Except that as I lose weight I find I'm walking faster, less winded and I tend to get up to do stuff more often (more energy).
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Congrats Scott! I hope you can start taking less pills! That would be a great achievement!
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hooray, Scott. I hope you have a positive report from your MD. I'm having an easier time limiting my salt intake than I thought. Some days are still higher than I'd like, but overall am doing better. I'm going to visit family in about 12 days. I hope I can keep up the good habits.
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    I had my appointment today, I took along my spreadsheet with my daily bp readings (when I remember to actually write them down). I took my bp right before leaving the house, it was 105/65 at the office it was 124/74 (I get white coat syndrome plus they used a small cuff and my personal one is a large cuff).

The doctor was very pleased, I mentioned that I get dizzy especially when I have been working in my vegetable garden and doing a lot of bending over. I told him that when that happens and I check my bp that it's usally under the 110/70 mark. Based on that, he recommended cutting out the hctz tablet (..25mg) especially since my exforge is a combination pill and has an equal dose of hctz in it already. When I mentioned that I occasionally get leg cramps (at night/in bed) he said I should reduce my nifedipine from one pills twice a day to half a pill twice a day.

They are baby steps.... but the dash diet appears to be working!
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That is great!!!
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love seeing everyone's positive stories...

My bp has dropped drastically since joining back in march (when i started following DASH), but then again I had just started my latest/newest regiment of pills. Previously it had jumped up to the 200+/120+ range during one ER trip (and I was on 2 pills at the time)..
    Right now my bp is sort of seesawing. In the afternoons it has been as low as 100/60 (too low, i get dizzy leaning over and then standing up) but when I get off work at 2am it will be 130/80, I take my meds at noon and midnight.

I see my cardiologist Monday and I'm hoping to reduce one of my 6 meds... I have lost around 20 pounds, we'll see what the official "doctor" scales have to say. So far the loss has been all diet, no exercise. Except that as I lose weight I find I'm walking faster, less winded and I tend to get up to do stuff more often (more energy).

20 lbs should make a difference with your blood pressure. Good luck at the doc!
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's what I would like to hear from my Physician next month. Great job Scott!