Adding to the program?

Options
jarrettd
jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
I was SOOO proud of myself for doing an unassisted chin up for the first time EVER this spring, and truly did not want to stop doing them.

I decided to add a superset to the end of A, doing chin-ups, dips, and back extensions, all 5x5 in a circuit.

To B, I added push-ups, pull-ups (hands facing away), and v-ups, also 5x5.

These are all body weight, for now, but I plan to add weight or modify the intensity if they become too easy. I have no plans to increase the reps.

Is this too much?

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    As long as you can do them, go for it.

I'm usually pretty trashed, but I've been adding in assisted pull ups to my bench/row day and incline push ups and inverted rows to the overhead/deadlift day.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    As long as you CAN, go for it -- dips and chinups actually used to be part of the program and he dropped them at some point (probably because a lot of people were like "oh god, are you serious?") If you can do it, do it. what's a V-up?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    @tameko2, a V-up is an ab move, where you are on your back on the floor and bring your feet to your hands above you, so that you are sitting up into the shape of a V.

I use a swiss ball, holding it between my hands and passing it to my feet and back again. I don't let feet, hands, or ball touch the ground on either end. And I count when the ball is at the head only, so it's really like 10 v-ups. KILLER, but love it. Thought about bicycle crunches or russian twists, but I seem to get more out of the v-ups, rep for rep.

I'm guessing I may get too wiped out in the regular session once I start pulling serious weight, but it's worth a try, right?