Newbie to group, but not to dieting

Options
heres2anewme
heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
Thanks to HarlanJen I started tracking my food yesterday and she swears I need to eat more to lose weight. So a little about me: In Aug. 2007 I had lapband surgery having been at 303 as my high weight. I lost about 30 pounds over 3 years with my band but had to have a second surgery to replace my port that the nurse punctured and I quit losing all together and actually started gaining my weight back. I think I kept off maybe 8 lbs total. So in Jan. 2011 I revised from band to Rou-en-Y gastric by-pass, surgery date I weighed 292 and am now down to 228, but have been stalled since around Christmas.

Jen doesn't think I eat enough because I try and keep my calories below 1000 a day and try to eat 75 g protein, less than 50 g carbs and 27-30g fat. I have been doing this since August 2007. Jen suggested I change my goals to 1200 calories a day with 150 g protein 75 carbs and 30 fat. I didn't make the protein or calories today and I went way over my carbs, just trying to get in enough protein, which wasn't near enough. Jen visited with me this week-end and also started me on an exercise program, which I had not been doing much of because of remodeling my house. I have worked out today like she showed me, but I have also found that in eating more calories I am also hungry, which rarely occurred when I was eating more like 700-800 calories a day and many less carbs. I have got to figure out a way to keep my carbs down, and my protein in calories up. All suggestions appreciated.

Jacqueline

Replies

• Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    did your doctor set you up on a 1000 calorie diet?
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think Jen is on the right track. You should calculate your TDEE and BMR cause even 1200 isn't enough.

As for food ratios, decrease your bread and watch out for some fruits that can be high in carbs. If you love the breads, pastas, etc, choose whole wheat with more fiber but reduce the portions. You have to check the food labels cause carbs are everywhere. as you log your food during the day, adjust your meals if you see you're going way over. Focus on eating more protein...I think the carbs will go down naturally because you'll be more full on protein and may not crave the carbs.

You're feeling hungry because you're body is burning fuel and liked the increase you gave it. Your metabolism might be kicking into a faster gear! Yes, it's all normal. Have more protein, it helps!

Read the stickies posted in this group about getting started. Good luck
  • heres2anewme
    Options
    My doctor said between 700-1000 calories but to stay closer to the 700 mark
    did your doctor set you up on a 1000 calorie diet?
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow really? Im not a dr but I think thats terrible advice!?
    700 calories are waaayy too low to fuel your body enough and keep you healthy!
    Use the Scooby calculator to get your numbers I think.

Oh and welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I think the problem is the gastric banding
    There is no way, unless taking it as liquids, that you can eat a lot of food.
    Nevertheless 700 kcal is REALLY too little
  • heres2anewme
    Options
    I don't think the gastric by-pass is the problem, without it I could not lose and I tried and tried, I mean I couldn't lose with the band although I kept my calories where the doctor wanted them. There is nothing that any one can eat that I can't eat, just can't eat as much. I will admit that eating more scares me to death because I do not want to gain my weight back, but am giving this a try and did lose 1 lb today, but I realize that could be back tomorrow, but this is the first time since Feb. that I have been at 227 lbs. and I am happy and it encourages me to continue. I am just going to have to eat much more frequent than most so I can get more calories.

Thank you all for the info and advice.

Jac

I think the problem is the gastric banding
    There is no way, unless taking it as liquids, that you can eat a lot of food.
    Nevertheless 700 kcal is REALLY too little