Doing Level 1 and Bodypump...any insight?

Rosemarose
Rosemarose Posts: 69 Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone on here is doing a combination of Les Mill's Bodypump and NROL?? I read the book and 3 weeks ago as I was getting ready to begin the NROL program I discovered Bodypump at the YMCA. It's a weight training class so I do this 2 times a week, NROL 2 times a week, and I also run about 3 miles 2 days a week. So, I guess my biggest question is: Do you think a combination of these workouts would sabotage my progress? I'm only 3 weeks in and I do see slight changes in my body, no weight loss yet though. For those who are not familiar with Bodypump: it targets every muscle group, high rep, it's definitely not heavy lifting like NROL, but heavy enough to create a struggle and you up your lifting weight every 2 weeks.
Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I personally feel that doing Bodypump will compromise your progress and recovery with NROL, since BP is sort of a cardio/lifting hybrid.

Even though you're not lifting as heavy in BP, you are still doing resistance training with similar exercises like squats and romanian deadlifts, so if you have any muscle soreness (and you will from NROL, trust), it's going to be a struggle and in my opinion, may still interfere with recovery of your fast-twitch muscle fibres, which is when all the inch-losing, strength-building magic happens.

My suggestion would be to pick NROL + cardio on rest days.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    I was doing Body Pump before I got serious with NROL4W. I decided to go ahead and focus my workouts on NROL for now. I agree with the fact it might interfere with your workouts. I have heard it is more of a cardio workout because of the high reps. It definitely is a good workout - I have the muscles to prove it! :) And it is good timing since they are still doing release #81 at my gym. Now when the next release comes out - I"m sure I'll go back to it a bit at a time since I do love it! But I am in Stage 1 so am trying to focus only on NROL4W for now so I can gauge if it is as good as body pump or not.

Sherry
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    I did bodypump for a while also. It was fun. But I didn't see the results with that that I am getting from NROL. I'm about to start Stage 3 and I freaking love it. I would ditch the Bodypump and get through at least Stage 1 with just NROL and your cardio. If you're pleased with the results, keep at it...if not, maybe look at bodypump again.

But seriously...2 months of NROL did more for me than 4 months of Bodypump.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    I also did pump before NROL. In the beginning I did NROL 2x and pump 1x a few times then decided that NROL would be better alone. I miss pump sometimes, but NROL is more effective. You definitely shouldn't do both 2x a week each. Same recovery rules apply. You need to make a choice.
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    I would definitely ditch Body Pump. I have done it off and on for years, and love it. Love the social environment, music, instructors, etc. However, when I decided to do NROL4W, I committed to it, BP would impede your progress. I got so much stronger so quickly with NROL. It's amazing.