AM running vs PM running

Options
My first half is in less than a month! I am so excited! Like many of you, I work a Full Time job - mostly M-F 9-5/6 type hours. I constantly debate when to do my long run. The hot summer sun doesn't help this equation. I'd rather not run in "high sun." I have done it Tuesdays after work for the past couple of weeks. This worked well - it was cooling off outside and I was just able to get my run in before dark.

This week I will do my last long run before tapering off (insert excited squeal here!!) Since my half marathon is in the morning, should I run in the morning for a long training run to prepare or am I okay to continue to run in the evenings? I prefer evening runs, but I am just afraid that I will not be fully prepared for race day if I don't practice getting up, eating breakfast, giving it the proper amount of time, then running, etc. I have done short runs in the AM, but that is not the same. What does everyone think?

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've not done a half yet, but my initial thought is that I would want a run close to the same time of day. Logistically, there will be things to think of that aren't an issue for an evening run. How exciting that you're so close! Good luck!
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    I agree, I would spend the last few weeks adopting a schedule as close to your race as you can.
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    That you both! It confirms what I was thinking. I think I need to start doing at least 1 run/week in the AM. I don't think it's possible to get more than that in. I already get up at around 6 AM to get ready for work, so getting up early enough to run would not lead to me being productive at work. Haha. It would also be way earlier than race time and hard to fuel before.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    In a couple of months, I start training for a night time half marathon, so I will have the same problem in reverse. I'm a morning runner who will have to adapt to running in the evenings.... I'm not looking forward to that! LOL

But agree with the previous posts, that you should run a few of your runs around the same time as the race. Good luck!!
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I was sort of worried about this leading up to my half because I would run after work 3 days a week and only ran in the mornings one day on the weekend. I didn't alter my schedule any leading up to the Half and it turned out completely fine. I was honestly so pumped up with andrenaline that the time of day didn't matter at all. I had a light breakfast about an hour and a half before the race started (I had aimed for an hour before race start but the race ended up being delayed by a half hour) and I felt great the entire time. Good luck! You'll do great!