Flat shoes

Options
Tigermad
Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
Hello

I notice that lots of people do Deadlifts and squats in flat shoes like converse pumps. I am planning on getting a cheap pair of flat pumps today to help me stabilise on my squats as I tend to rock a bit.

My question is do you change back to gym trainers when you do the step ups and lunges etc. I can't imagine doing set ups in flat shoes but will feel stupid carrying a pair of trainers with me when walking between stations. . I already carry my towel, clipboard, water bottle, pen and car keys.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can't be bothered changing shoes during a workout, but I've read that too. Maybe you could try the squats & deadlifts in just your socks? Unless your gym floor is totally gross (or slippery?). Then of course you'd want to keep shoes on too.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have flat shoes and I wear them for the entire workout.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Flat shoes for the entire workout is best. I wear Converse Chuck Taylors and paid around $30 for them on sale at JC Penney. The site Zappos.com also has them in a variety of colors and sizes.

Many guys at my gym take their shoes off and lift in their socks. You need to be as close to the floor as possible when lifting, meaning no arch in your shoes.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Since I workout at home, I actually do the whole routine barefoot.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Why flat shoes? I've never heard of this before. My back and feet normally really hurt if I wear anything without arch support, so this is interesting to me...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ because cushioning can throw off your balance. when you work close to max rep weight little stuff like that make a difference in your lifts

i do em in my socks. can't be bothered with lugging 2 pairs of sneakers. i go with the sock for the deadlifts, squats, step ups and all of the power stuff like front squat push presses and 1 arm DB snatches.

i use these socks :
    http://www.gaiam.com/product/no+slip+yoga+socks.do
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I echo the socks. FEEL THE POWER IN YOUR FEET. Seriously. It feels like 100x better.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Another popular flat shoe for lifting are Nike Frees. The guy in the store called them $100 socks. I'll stick with my Chucks.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I wear my minimalist running shoes (not the 5 toed kind, but between that and a regular shoe). I wear them for the whole work (lunges, etc) out and for my running.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I wear thin soled trainers, New Balance and Puma both make nice ones. Nike makes one without an insole, which I can't buy into. I prefer to run in them as well, I like to feel the road.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Bought some Lee Cooper converse lookalikes for £10. Did stepups and squats fine. Will be trying 6b in them tomorrow.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Funny - until this thread I had never considered my shoes an important part of lifting, but this weekend, I lost my balance on a 100# squat. I was able to recover the lift , but I think if I had on flat hard soled shoes I would have been in better shape. I've always wanted a pair of Chuck T's anyway.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I took off my shoes for bulgarian split squats today (stage 2, workout B2), mainly so my rear foot would be more comfortable resting on the bench, but I found it a lot easier to balance too. I may try it for dumbbell one-point rows next time too, since the balance on those is killer!
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Barefoot all the way for me - have never even thought about doing it in trainers!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I took off my shoes for bulgarian split squats today (stage 2, workout B2), mainly so my rear foot would be more comfortable resting on the bench, but I found it a lot easier to balance too. I may try it for dumbbell one-point rows next time too, since the balance on those is killer!

Are we the same person? lol I did the exact same thing today. It was soooo much better!