10 Things I Learned Training for a Half Marathon

Options
New to the group, and just completed my first Half Marathon this past Saturday (2:38). I'm starting training next week for my second in October - though I guess maintenance would be a better word for it. I was thinking today about all the things I've learned in the past 5 months. I've never been a runner (this was my first distance race of any kind), I played tennis and softball way back when but I never had the endurance for running. Little did I know what I was missing (or maybe I was just too lazy to care). At any rate, this is what I've learned, read on if you want a good laugh, there are a few nuggets of genuine wisdom in there somewhere. :)

1. No matter what anyone else says, I am not in fact crazy! And the next person to ask me 'Why?' when I say I'm training for a Half Marathon will receive the following answer: "I'm preparing for when I survive the apocalypse so I'll be ready to outrun all of the zombies."

2. The only person who cares how my butt looks in my running pants is me. And even then I only care for the first half mile or so, after that my rear and I reconcile our differences and agree to work as a team to get through the next several miles in one piece.

3. Bengay should only be used AFTER a run and BEFORE a shower. Reversing these two only leads to disaster.

4. It's better to listen to your body the first time, because she's always right and she'll just end up saying 'I told you so' later. Save yourself the headache, and all sorts of other aches, and just do as your told.

5. The squirrels are not really out to get me. *Though I still maintain that *kitten* threw the branch at me and then practically fell out of the tree laughing. This lesson does not apply to snakes, snakes are most definitely out to get me, and I secretly suspect they hunt in packs and are lurking behind every tree, bush and rock on my route just waiting to jump out at me.

6. Hydration, nutrition and recovery time are as important as any other aspect of my training. I have to take care of my body if I expect it to meet my (at times unreasonable) demands.

7. Few things are worth the price we pay for them, sports bras, running shoes and socks are the exception. And to that end, only buy seamless sports bras (just try getting bandaids to stick THERE after an unfortunate chafing incident); try on as many pairs of running shoes as it takes to find the right one for me no matter how many dirty looks the sales person gives me (though in my experience they are much friendlier and patient at the Running Store).

8. Do not fear other runners, they are not out to get me; nor will they attempt to bite, shove or kick me. They won't judge me or talk down to me because I'm a novice. In fact it's better to run with a group of strangers who offer unconditional support and experienced advice, rather than alone.

9. Everyone is nervous before their first race. Just don't barf on anyone before it starts and you'll be fine. Make friends at the start line, find a Pace group with a hot Pacer and everything else will fall into place.

10. If it feels like work, I'm doing it wrong.

Replies

• nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I am currently training for my first half as well (June 23...so close!) and it was great to hear some tounge in cheek advice!
    Congrats on your first run!! I am hoping to finish around the same time...we shall see!!
    Also - I know how you feel about squirrels - some of them really are out to get me....eek!
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    :) It's always good to keep a sense of humor about it! And I'm sure you'll do great! I genuinely got very nervous in the days leading up to it, thinking that despite all my training I wasn't prepared and would fail. I couldn't have been more wrong. As long as you pace yourself and put in an even effort you'll do great! Good luck!
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    I.Love.This!

Thanks for sharing!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I replied on the other board too, but what the heck, why not here too? lol... Does anyone else get chased by dogs or am I just that lucky? I love dogs by the way - have a beautiful basset hound doggy that I adore. But seriously, my love diminishes when they're running towards me and I don't personally know them and think they might be protecting "their" bit of sidewalk that I happen to be running through at the time. Nothing like a little unplanned speedwork I guess!
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    nice list! I like it!!

Except for number 10! I really struggle with that one! You see i have this idea in my head that running or exercise is EASY for everyone else! Except me LOL

I have only recently come to terms with the fact that if you look pretty after a run, you aren't working hard enough :laugh:

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by it? :)

Sweatpants i don't get chased by dogs, and i love dogs too!! Well i love all animals really LOL
    But at times they do run towards me, and whether or not i have my older girl there, it really annoys me that people can't control them!!

Even when i run by myself and i can see by their body language that a dog is happily running towards me, it annoys me that owners allow their dogs to just come up to strangers! I mean that don't know whether i am an animal lover or not!
    I have friends who were bitten by dogs as kids, and they still have a fear of strange dogs running up to them! One of my friends will hide behind whoever she is with if she can!!

But the other thing that annoys me about it, is that i then have to break my stride / rhythm to dodge the dog :ohwell:
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    New to the group, and just completed my first Half Marathon this past Saturday (2:38). I'm starting training next week for my second in October - though I guess maintenance would be a better word for it. I was thinking today about all the things I've learned in the past 5 months. I've never been a runner (this was my first distance race of any kind), I played tennis and softball way back when but I never had the endurance for running. Little did I know what I was missing (or maybe I was just too lazy to care). At any rate, this is what I've learned, read on if you want a good laugh, there are a few nuggets of genuine wisdom in there somewhere. :)

1. No matter what anyone else says, I am not in fact crazy! And the next person to ask me 'Why?' when I say I'm training for a Half Marathon will receive the following answer: "I'm preparing for when I survive the apocalypse so I'll be ready to outrun all of the zombies."

2. The only person who cares how my butt looks in my running pants is me. And even then I only care for the first half mile or so, after that my rear and I reconcile our differences and agree to work as a team to get through the next several miles in one piece.

3. Bengay should only be used AFTER a run and BEFORE a shower. Reversing these two only leads to disaster.

4. It's better to listen to your body the first time, because she's always right and she'll just end up saying 'I told you so' later. Save yourself the headache, and all sorts of other aches, and just do as your told.

5. The squirrels are not really out to get me. *Though I still maintain that *kitten* threw the branch at me and then practically fell out of the tree laughing. This lesson does not apply to snakes, snakes are most definitely out to get me, and I secretly suspect they hunt in packs and are lurking behind every tree, bush and rock on my route just waiting to jump out at me.

6. Hydration, nutrition and recovery time are as important as any other aspect of my training. I have to take care of my body if I expect it to meet my (at times unreasonable) demands.

7. Few things are worth the price we pay for them, sports bras, running shoes and socks are the exception. And to that end, only buy seamless sports bras (just try getting bandaids to stick THERE after an unfortunate chafing incident); try on as many pairs of running shoes as it takes to find the right one for me no matter how many dirty looks the sales person gives me (though in my experience they are much friendlier and patient at the Running Store).

8. Do not fear other runners, they are not out to get me; nor will they attempt to bite, shove or kick me. They won't judge me or talk down to me because I'm a novice. In fact it's better to run with a group of strangers who offer unconditional support and experienced advice, rather than alone.

9. Everyone is nervous before their first race. Just don't barf on anyone before it starts and you'll be fine. Make friends at the start line, find a Pace group with a hot Pacer and everything else will fall into place.

10. If it feels like work, I'm doing it wrong.

The part about the squirrels (we have a ton of grey ones here where I live) had me in stitches...so true, and they tend to chatter angrily at me when I run to close to their trees, what gives? We musn't barf on other runners before a race, that would just be bad manners...lol

Congrats on your time, AWESOME!
  • oonga
    Options
    hahaha you guys have squirrels we have Magpies!!

OMG they are horrid and scary !! :laugh:

They even try and swoop the Rottweilers!

Thankfully their breeding season is over for now :)
  • JulieWillRun
    Options
    Hysterical! I want to vomit before races. Thankfully I haven't.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I love this list! Thanks for sharing! :happy:

I've had a few squirrells scamper out of my way, but luckily none have seemed out to get me.

We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood and it cracks me up that if you run by them (basically ignoring them) they will look behind you to see if you are being chased and if they should run too. But if you walk by them, they bolt like you are out to get them. :laugh:
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    nice list! I like it!!

Except for number 10! I really struggle with that one! You see i have this idea in my head that running or exercise is EASY for everyone else! Except me LOL

I have only recently come to terms with the fact that if you look pretty after a run, you aren't working hard enough :laugh:

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by it? :)

Exercise in general isn't easy, you are not alone there! We all struggle at times with all sorts of issues, motivation, fatigue, injury, etc etc. But what I mean is, if I'm feeling tense, if I'm in my own head arguing with myself about how far I'm going to go or justifying quitting early, if I'm feeling like I'm just out there doing this because I have to - not because I want to or enjoy it, if I can't wait for it to be over ... I'm doing it wrong. It took me a long time to get to this point, but I look forward to my runs and I know if I battle through whatever my struggle is for that day, I will feel so much better for it. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing (ok I'll amend this for all of us real people to say nothing PG rated that is) feels better than the rush/high/triumph I feel after a run. If you're tense, stressed out, etc ... you have to make yourself relax, find your stride and pace so you're putting in effort but not so much that you can't sustain it for at least an hour. I may be sweating and burning crazy calories, but I've got a smile on my face while I'm doing it, I'm enjoying leaving my day on the pavement and I go home feeling relaxed and accomplished!
  • oonga
    Options
    ahhhh got ya!! Thanks for the explanation it makes total sense now :)

Its interesting how running can now be a release for stress too! Like i had to go through a stressful experience a few weeks ago, and i found the next day i ran longer than i was supposed to because I needed that release to help with the stress!! :)

Never would have thought running would help with stress, but it really does!

How right you are about the feeling after a good workout!!!
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    I love the snake comment! Terrified of them!!! I stayed away from a trail for two weeks after seeing a snake because I couldn't quit picturing it! I still haven't ran that section of the trail since the "incident." I start somewhere else. I know there is no logic in that.
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I love the snake comment! Terrified of them!!! I stayed away from a trail for two weeks after seeing a snake because I couldn't quit picturing it! I still haven't ran that section of the trail since the "incident." I start somewhere else. I know there is no logic in that.

I think there is logic in that!!! :) I tried a new trail about a month ago, it didn't have the same steep inclines as my other route and I wanted to give my IT band a break. So one afternoon I go on this new trail, it's got great views, it's pretty isolated on the far south side of town on the top of a bluff. There are some walkers and runners out, a team practicing on one of the softball fields; safe, right? I'm about a half mile in to my first lap and I round a corner and there is a 3 foot long snake in the middle of the path. I start dancing around like, oh my God, oh my God, then I actually start saying out loud "someone make it move, someone make it move" - I don't know what this was suppose to accomplish since there was no one around!! Then I lean down, pick up a stick and chuck it at the snake hoping to make it move. Not only is my aim so poor that I miss the snake and it still didn't move, but a split second later out of the corner of my eye I spot movement right next to me. There had been another snake, bigger, sitting right next to the path, mere inches from my foot and probably centimeters from the stick I just picked up and I didn't see it. It goes slithering off. I swear to God I've never screamed that loud in my life. I speed walked/ran to the nearest exit from the park, all the while looking around nervously like they were following me or something. Then I got in the car and called a friend of mine in hysterics. Never been back there!!! And it even made me paranoid to run my regular route too! Like I said, I'm convinced they hunt in packs and are waiting behind every tree, bush and rock to jump out at me!!

I still get hysterical thinking about it! If my hometown weren't full of horrible drivers I'd stick to the roads, but I'm more terrified of being hit by a car than I am of the snakes!
  • deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    Options
    I would like to add to this list that dogs might chase you (and their owners might yell at you like this is your fault), and best to try to run w your mouth closed and your nose pointed downwards, unless your chosen source of protein is mainly flies.
    Also people will stop to ask you for directions even if there are loads of other people about and you are the only one obviously running and w headphones in.

Finally an AMAZING tip someone once told me. If u really don't feel like running, just go for a walk in your running clothes. You will inevitable end up running.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I replied on the other board too, but what the heck, why not here too? lol... Does anyone else get chased by dogs or am I just that lucky?

You are not alone, I've actually been biten by two different dogs in the last year of running...dogs that their owners are running/walking with I mean, not 'loose' dogs.

I'm actually about this >< close to taking a gun with me when I run. Next freaking doberman that bites my hand because his owner isnt keeping him in check, I'm shooting it.
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hilarious! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Zombie apocalypse is a serious threat in these times.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Great points!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I replied on the other board too, but what the heck, why not here too? lol... Does anyone else get chased by dogs or am I just that lucky? I love dogs by the way - have a beautiful basset hound doggy that I adore. But seriously, my love diminishes when they're running towards me and I don't personally know them and think they might be protecting "their" bit of sidewalk that I happen to be running through at the time. Nothing like a little unplanned speedwork I guess!

I have 4 dogs of my own and generally run shorter runs with one of them and encountering dogs is my biggest fear... I've been chased, nipped, yipped, etc... the owners invariably blame me
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I replied on the other board too, but what the heck, why not here too? lol... Does anyone else get chased by dogs or am I just that lucky?

You are not alone, I've actually been biten by two different dogs in the last year of running...dogs that their owners are running/walking with I mean, not 'loose' dogs.

I'm actually about this >< close to taking a gun with me when I run. Next freaking doberman that bites my hand because his owner isnt keeping him in check, I'm shooting it.

I've yelled ahead that I"m running through and please corral their dogs. They give me a dirty look, but I don't get bit :)

In addition to this, I'm a hyper alert dog walker and always bring my dogs into me when I see a runner because I have big dogs and I don't want people to be afraid :)
  • ChylaF
    ChylaF Posts: 2
    Options
    I love this... made me laugh... Ive never ran until this past November when I decided that I would make a huge goal and sign up for the Detroit Half Marathon this October. I got on the treadmill at the beginning of November and have been training ever since. I hated it to start.. but now that Ive begun running outside I like it much much better.... I dont quite love it yet but I am always happy after a run... and Ive been dropping the pounds with my new goal... Bonus!