Chi running, anyone?

Options
_Amy_Budd
_Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
After looking at many half marathon training programs, I chose Chi running. Wondering if there are others out there using this... or something similar... Let me know!

:)
Amy

Replies

• deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    Options
    I had to google this. And to be honest I still don't understand it.
    I have good run/walk half marathon training app by exercise in pink
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I looked into a method and kind of use it. But I disregard the part about leaning forward. Another site that I came into said that runners naturally lean forward and that trying to lean forward while running can cause lower back pain. I had begun to have lower back pain, so I decided to disregard that part of the method - back feels fine now. But I do think overall it's probably good stuff. - says the person who's only been running for three months :embarassed: Perhaps someone with real experience will have some thoughts on this.
  • deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    Options
    I still don't get it! Someone tell me what it is?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm a ChiRunner. I mainly started with research when I wanted to start running. There was a lot of information on "training" but not a lot on form and how to stay injury free. It's something that if just starting, I would recommend taking a class from a certified instructor. The video is a little better than the book. And using a metronome really helped make me more efficient as a runner. I don't choose to use it now, but I think the biggest benefit to me was the mind/body awareness of form, function, and overall making certain I wasn't just out pounding pavement, but moreso aware of the functionality of the activity I was doing. I learned more about stride length and cadence than I was getting from any other source.

I'm entertained by the forward lean and back pain, which is interesting, because if the poster understood chirunning or had taken a class, it's not an involvement of the back whatsoever. If there is pain, it's not from the 'lean' or the 'lean' is clearly done incorrectly if there is back pain. The ChiRunning has kept my back very healthy.

I would suggest using the forums on www.chirunning.com, it's moderated by very experienced individuals who are super about answering questions, asking questions to your question before answering, and a super wealth of information into this system for running.

@ Deesaf - ChiRunning is a running form instruction used for training form and body to run more efficiently to avoid so many of the runner's injuries. There is also the Pose method - I don't know much about, just know it's out there. There are articles written on the pros and cons of using a specific form vs a natural form, it's all up to the individual runner IMO as to what to take out of these methods.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I'm a ChiRunner. I mainly started with research when I wanted to start running. There was a lot of information on "training" but not a lot on form and how to stay injury free. It's something that if just starting, I would recommend taking a class from a certified instructor. The video is a little better than the book. And using a metronome really helped make me more efficient as a runner. I don't choose to use it now, but I think the biggest benefit to me was the mind/body awareness of form, function, and overall making certain I wasn't just out pounding pavement, but moreso aware of the functionality of the activity I was doing. I learned more about stride length and cadence than I was getting from any other source.

I'm entertained by the forward lean and back pain, which is interesting, because if the poster understood chirunning or had taken a class, it's not an involvement of the back whatsoever. If there is pain, it's not from the 'lean' or the 'lean' is clearly done incorrectly if there is back pain. The ChiRunning has kept my back very healthy.

I would suggest using the forums on www.chirunning.com, it's moderated by very experienced individuals who are super about answering questions, asking questions to your question before answering, and a super wealth of information into this system for running.

@ Deesaf - ChiRunning is a running form instruction used for training form and body to run more efficiently to avoid so many of the runner's injuries. There is also the Pose method - I don't know much about, just know it's out there. There are articles written on the pros and cons of using a specific form vs a natural form, it's all up to the individual runner IMO as to what to take out of these methods.
    \

Yes. The forward lean is from doing chi running incorrectly. That's why the review of chi running that I read suggested that runners using Chi not *try* to lean forward as many runners new to chi running will lean too far foward and that can lead to lower back pain. I experienced it - it can happen. Many people don't have access to a certified instructor. So I don't intentionally try to lean forward and my body feels better when I allow the lean to happen naturally.

It's helped me to run with no injuries thus far.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Yes. The forward lean is from doing chi running incorrectly. That's why the review of chi running that I read suggested that runners using Chi not *try* to lean forward as many runners new to chi running will lean too far foward and that can lead to lower back pain. I experienced it - it can happen. Many people don't have access to a certified instructor. So I don't intentionally try to lean forward and my body feels better when I allow the lean to happen naturally.

This still doesn't make any sense to me. Not sure who wrote the review. But the forward lean is important in chirunning. The lean is not initiated in the back, but from the ankles. And with pelvis tilted, another chirunning form focus, there would again be no way to lean and injure or stress the lower back. The "lean" is ever so slight, the fall forward point, which in essence is a lot of the basis in running. I would strongly suggest re-reading or watching the video of the forward lean. The reviewer, I would hope, would have done better research before making such a suggestion.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

This still doesn't make any sense to me. Not sure who wrote the review. But the forward lean is important in chirunning. The lean is not initiated in the back, but from the ankles. And with pelvis tilted, another chirunning form focus, there would again be no way to lean and injure or stress the lower back. The "lean" is ever so slight, the fall forward point, which in essence is a lot of the basis in running. I would strongly suggest re-reading or watching the video of the forward lean. The reviewer, I would hope, would have done better research before making such a suggestion.

The reviewer wasn't saying the forward lean is unimportant. He was saying that his concern with Chi running is that new users who don't have a certified trainer to show them can easily misinterpret the lean (which is what I did). I'll see if I can post the link so you can see exactly what was said. Overall it was not a negative review of Chi running by any means!