New to Medifast

Options
Hello all!

I've never been on the Medifast diet or anything that is solely meal replacement. Im SUPER nervous. I tried doing this Dukan Diet thing I saw on Dr. Oz, and it was miserable. I didn't find out until AFTER I bought everything that this was a Ketosis induced program. The Dukan Diet was also A Ketogenic diet and I flippppped out. After like the 2nd or 3rd day I was literally in my cabinets searching for something with carbs or sugar to get my blood sugar back up.

I definitely need support to get through this first week! Please tell me how your first week felt! I'd like to keep in contact with as many of you guys as possible. I already added a few people from this group. I was told that if I can get through the first week the rest sort of falls into place and it becomes habit to do the 5&1.

Help guys! Im excited I just want to stick with it. Im 22, 5'4, 216 lbs. 221 was my max ever ever ever. And I cannot waiiiit to see 199. :D

Replies

• Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hey...medifast kind of hits all of the major diet "do this and you'll lose weight" stuff.
    1) It's ketosis, so you burn fat
    2) It's low calorie, so you burn fat
    3) Low carb, so you burn fat

The only trick is getting onto it. The first week sucks. I find it easier to start when I'm at work and i don't have much time to think about the refrigerator, and i'm not tempted to go out to eat (because I have no time to do that anyway). But I have been on it and then off about 6 times in the past year due to illness or vacation...things that kindof force me off the diet. I find that it's super hard that first week. Sometimes I get super moody. Sometimes I get super tired. Sometimes I fantasize about eating my dog, as long as she was on a bed of pasta. However, if you can just get through 5 days and your first weekend.....you'll realize you're just not that hungry anymore. Today, I realized that I still have 2 meals left at its 9:30. (crap, i better go eat a bar). Ok. Done.

But we are all here to support you, and if you become mildly deranged...we'll all forgive you. Or, I guess, we'll just unfriend you and talk about you behind your back.

Just kidding.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options

But we are all here to support you, and if you become mildly deranged...we'll all forgive you. Or, I guess, we'll just unfriend you and talk about you behind your back.

Just kidding.

Or, you could just put yourself on my friends list and listen to my craziness, too :)

Best wishes! I start my diet Monday!
  • marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey your starting stats is almost identical to mine but I am 5'5". Yes, getting to 199 was AWESOME.

Medifast tells the truth- it's fast. If you can follow the plan and eat the weird foods they give you, plus stay on target with your other meal, you will lose weight at a good pace. It is ketosis so if you had a rough time before I can't promise you will like this one any better.

A majority of the Medifast products are very dessert-esque so they seem like they have sugar in them. I like the pancakes since you can add sugar free syrup to them. Honestly, I can't taste the difference between sugar free and sugared syrup. It's all just sweet. Plus, I add honey to things when I need sweetness without using sugar.
  • DotKey28
    DotKey28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a Type II diabetic and I have been on Medifast for 3 months and lost 23 pounds. I lose slower than most because I only had 40 pounds to lose and I am 61 years old so you will probably lose faster. My blood sugars are PERFECT and I feel great, not hungry. In fact, it was my Endocrinologist that encouraged me to try Medifast. I would be surprised if you had a problem with low blood sugars on this diet. This is the most successful I have ever been losing weight. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    So there is a Medifast support group here on MFP. What a relief! I placed my first order tonight and, while I'm excited to get going on it, I have fear and trembling about my current MFP friends. They will freak if they know I'm doing this extreme diet. Yet, my metabolism is so slow and I need to beat some health issues once and for all. I reached the Land of Onederfuls at 199 a few weeks ago only to have a knee "injury" nix that that now I'm up to 207 again (it was 209 so I'm really focused here).

What do you suggest about my current MFP friends, the ones I really admire and respect? Do I lie in my diary when I start eating the Medifast? Or just not post my diary at all. . .that may be easiest. :-)

Also, I'd be interested in all the 50-plus Medifast users. I'm 55 and have found that we fiftiers do lose weight more slowly or something.

-Debra
  • Incredible_Shrinking_Jenn
    Options
    I am into my 4th week on MF and I've lost a predicted 13 pounds (My weigh ins are fridays). I used to be so stinking skinny and could eat anything. Then I got married and the weight started piling on and everyone told me not to worry about it and then people stopped saying anything and I realized I was 180 pounds. That was a year and a half ago. Last year I hired a personal trainer who came to my house 3x a week and after 3 months and only 5 pounds down, I fired her. Then I gained those 5 pounds back because I never even noticed they were gone. Then I completed 4- 7 week sessions of bootcamp (with 3 week break in the middle) and participated in running activities. I dropped about 11 pounds total over the course of about 6 months. When my husband and I started the process of adoption, I tried to watch my food but my focus was on my son being in Ukraine and paperwork and fundraising and not on me. I managed to keep 6 pounds off. I struggle from PCOS which is an infertility issue and make weight gain easy and losing it really really hard. Probably similar to what you are talking about with your age. To lose 13 pounds so quickly and find it noticeable so quickly makes it easy to not cheat. My husband and I are hoping to be traveling to Ukraine by Mid AUgust to pick up our son and I'd like to be down to my goal, or very close to it by then. Since I am a picky eater, I may bring a fair amount of MF foods with me to Ukraine anyway... just in case!

The food is good for diet food and some of it is good regardless of being diet food. Every time I hear someone talk about being STUFFED or in pain form over eating... i smile a little inside because I never have that anymore. I eat a lot of fish so I don't get too sick of chicken for my lean and greens. The brownies are delish, cookies just okay. I don't like the lemon meringue bars but my coach does so i guess it is a preference. I like the chocolate chip and spiced pancakes and don't even use syrup, but not a fan of the eggs. the sloppy joes are a MUST, as are the cherry pom shakes. I like the banana pudding much better than the chocolate.

As for your other MFP friends... who cares what they think. You have to do what works for you. this diet gets your body into fat burning stage so you can get the weight off and the important thing is to then spend your life keeping it off. learn to crave the healthy stuff and resist the temptations. Once you are maintaining, you can always give into the temptations as long as you are willing to do what you need to to burn those calories. Thats just my two cents! Good Luck!
  • stacey_mcleod
    Options
    Hi all. I started the Medifast foods yesterday. Wasn't as bad as I had expected and I lost 3 pounds in one day!

I'm 5'7 and yesterday weighed in 175. My goal weight is 145. I'd like to lose 30 pounds... so 27 to go :-) I'm getting married in about 6 weeks which is my immediate motivation but I really want to get to optimal health. I have day dreams of living an active lifestyle. Running marathons, doing triathlons, cross country skiing, rock climbing and I'd really like to spend a few months hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. But I can't do any of that in my current health state.

Here I am in the beginning stages of Medifast and prepared to give it my all. I quit smoking a year ago with very little problems because I wanted to quit. I WANT to be healthy and active. I am putting my mind to it this time!
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    thanks 34x34. You make a lot of sense.:flowerforyou: As for my MFP friends, however, I will have to hide my diary because there is a huge scare out there about starvation mode dieting and I just don't want to hear it anymore so I'll just turn my diary off. They do what works for them and I have to do what works for me.

I am excited to start on it and more excited to finish it. :bigsmile: Good thing for maintenance is that I've totally changed my eating and craving habits. I prepare my own foods, most of them fruits and veggies. I eat out rarely and don't purchase from commercial frozen or prepackaged foods. So, I think I'm in a better place to finish and maintain because I already know how to eat and cook nutritiously.

Look forward to getting to know all of you and hearing your experiences on this particular journey. My food should arrive sometime next week.

-Debra
  • oviedom81
    oviedom81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I started Miedifast today.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Today I officially recommited and I am GOING to do this!
  • Christy_dyan
    Christy_dyan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my new friends!

Today is day 5 for me on Medifast, and I'm down 6 pounds. I've already lost 2.5 inches around my waist. Is that even possible???? Who knew?!!

The most interesting thing I've found so far is that I feel GREAT!! Sure, I'm a little hungry fromtime to time. However, the emotional high of finally DOING soemthing about my weight, combined with the results, keeps me on track. I'm just happier without all of the crap food in my body!

Good luck to all!
    Christy
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome all new medifasters! I can tell you from personal experience that if you keep with it it will work. I for one had so much more energy while on it, partly from my body liking low carb and partly from getting all that excess weight off. One tip for you if you find you currently don't like the taste of something, the oatmeal for instance, put it in your cabinet for a couple weeks. Your tastes are going to change.

Good Luck in reaching your goals.