Does anyone have "cheat days"????

Options
I do EVERY Monday, I call it CARB MONDAY and look forward to it (eating trail mix as we speak...LOL) Sometimes I go extreme carbs, but most of the time eat some things I miss like pizza. The scale normally shows 5 lbs heavier the next day...is that normal??? I usually lose it within 2 days with extreme low carb within 2 days (no more than 10) May not be the healthiest idea, but it gets me through...anyone else do similar or cheat????

Replies

• jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did this for a couple of weeks ala Tim Ferris' "Four Hour Body". Crazy, but it worked nicely for losing 5-7 pounds. Sometimes I would weigh less the next day after the cheat day?? Strange. However, I did eat some carbs throughout the week - beans/vegetables/ cottage cheese. Also, before trying the planned cheat days, I might easily weigh 5 pounds more on some mornings - probably carbs/sodium but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time.

As long as you bounce back in a couple of days - your cheat days are successful!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    For my particular low carb plan (Dr. Atkins, original version), if I seriously go off plan, I technically have to start all over from phase 1. So that keeps me from cheating. The worst I will do is eat something on a higher rung of the Atkins ladder.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do, but I try not to call them cheat days.

I had one yesterday since I'm on TOM and was craving some things. Only had a hand full of chips/dip, had a cookie from a batch I made my BF, and had some slices of pizza for dinner. I had lost 6.4lbs in 7 days so I figured eating a few things during TOM wasn't going to ruin me. I wouldn't even bother with what the scale says the next few days. It's usually a mix of things (salt retention, water retention, etc) and not true weight gain. I end up just eating M/E and drinking lots of water after a carb day. After that, I just eat M/E for a week and drink lots of water and work out. I can easily lose any carb weight I gained, plus more. I think it's good to mix it every once in a while, but I don't think it's good to do several times a week. It shakes things up for weight loss, and I think can be something to look forward to. Although low carb is a forever WOE, people think that they can't have a cookie once in a blue mood. But I do understand some people just can't get off and get back on without problems. I think it's an individual thing.

I also typically avoid grains while low carbing, so if anything, I see a difference when I go off plan and get back on. It takes a few days for my system to get back going but I've never had any constipation issues on low carb, it's more or less the other way around. I also make sure to eat a lot of fat, and I also take magnesium at night.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    For me, my Friday night dinner, I will allow myself a serving of 'something' that I would not normally consume. When I get my mexican fix, Ill have the real tortilla for my shredded chicken quesadilla.... Grilled up, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Im just mental over this!!! It goes so well with my salad and my chile rellenos!
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If I had an entire day of cheating, I'd never lose any weight! But I definitely had frozen yogurt while on a date last night, because I refuse to be that person who has a list of 1000 things they can't/won't eat. And it was delicious :)
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Tuesday is "Taco Tuesday" at our house. Sometimes I use lettuce as the wrap...often I have a hot corn tortilla. It isn't really a cheat day, though, as it doesn't put me over my total carbs for the day (I'm following South Beach Phase2).

I've read a few things here and there about "carb cycling" being good for your thyroid (or something like that). I've been meaning to read more about it and see if I should follow it - add in a "cheat" day of higher carbs.

I had a petit four decorated for the Queen's Jubilee from the awesome local bakery. It was tiny, but a perfect cheat without going too crazy. (Dear god was it sweet!!! How did I eat normal sized pieces of cake?)

All in all, I cheat the most with red wine. We have a thing.
  • Sandown54
    Sandown54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This article might put you off cheat days. You come out of ketosis and have to go through the hoops to get back in

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

Cheats aren't worth it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This article might put you off cheat days. You come out of ketosis and have to go through the hoops to get back in

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

Cheats aren't worth it.

Thats not entirely true... If you plan your day knowing that this specific day will include foods that you normally dont consume, its no different than including other foods like ice-cream or that slice of cheesecake.

If I were to consume bread every day, I will end up in the hospital because my pancreas does not stop dumping insulin. Ive gone into Insulin Shock before.. it aint pretty.

But, if I were to consume one bread-type within one meal within a week (My Friday mexican night), Im perfectly fine and dont have the same insulin dumping that happens.

There are those who follow an extreme high-calorie day and go right back to the restrictions the next day to 'fool' the body. Its perfectly fine and would be no different than having a high carb day on one day, and then resume the normal the next.

Keep in mind, not everyone follows the typical "ketosis" status when low-carbing. And low-carbing doesnt mean everyone is striving for ketosis.

Cheat days are perfectly fine and definitely something doctors would not shun if you have learned to adapt your intake well. I know the doctors Im employed with have that principle belief.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use the term "cheat" - who am I cheating? What I do is have off-plan days. Only about once every month or 2 months. I usually have pizza and a delicious dessert.

I couldn't do it every week...the science behind Atkins (which is the same science in the article Sandown54 linked to) is adverse to eating high carbs once a week and still burning fat.

There's nothing I can't live without for a couple months. Heck, if I were really diligent there's nothing I can't live without for a year or more. If I am craving something I find it's easier to figure out a low carb substitution for it, or some other low carb indulgence or just figure out a way to get over it.

It's hard enough for me to eat all the right things every day and exercise and generally live right! I'm not going to sabotage it all for a stupid cookie! :)
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I do have "cheat days" every week. I am thinking of going to every other week or just one cheat meal a week. I lost weight just fine with going off plan every week but I don't like being bloated.
  • Zoey290
    Zoey290 Posts: 13
    Options
    I do have "cheat days" every week. I am thinking of going to every other week or just one cheat meal a week. I lost weight just fine with going off plan every week but I don't like being bloated.

I was thinking of changing it up too because although I REALLY do look forward to Mondays, I hate the way I feel the next day...feel like im in a "food coma"...lol. It has been working very well for me as I have been doing it this way for months and still lose weight. If I had alot of weight to lose I probably wouldnt even consider "cheating", but I really dont have much more to lose...
  • Sandown54
    Sandown54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the different take on this. I am learning every day! My body rarely goes into ketosis which is why I have joined this site to monitor my carbs. I am sure I shall have 'treat' days later in my (long) journey :happy:
  • mariaj1979
    mariaj1979 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" once every 2-4, the rest of the time I stay good. I dont see why having a treat is bad for you as long as its in moderation