Calculators and personal data don't match, need advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Why not use the MFP for your goals? This is a pet peeve of mine but why not try it this way for a while? If it doesn't work for you can try something else, but try it for a while and see...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

I was directed to this group on Monday and I used the Scooby calculator (used the Mifflin-St. Jeor formula) to calculate my cut value and got 2760, using -15%.

My stats are: 23,5 year old female, 5ft 6in (almost) and I currently weigh 290 lbs. I do have a large frame though and a bit of muscle mass underneath since I was (an overweight) athlete as a teenager. According to the military BF calculator on fat2fit I have about 48% BF.

BUT.. I'm a data junkie and I decided to figure out how much I've been netting for about 10 weeks, since March 25th when I upped my calorie goal to 2110 (rarely hitting it though).
    The results are:
    Average net calories consumed: 2545 (2740 when not subtracting exercise cals)
    Average exercise hours weekly: 5
    During these 10 weeks I've fluctuated in weight between 290.5lbs and 292 lbs. I'd call that maintaining, wouldn't you?

So my question! Since my TDEE seems to be about 2740 calories given these exercise values, shouldn't I calculate my cut value from my own numbers instead of a calculator? How do I figure out my BMR when I know my approx. TDEE? I tried all 4 formulas on Scooby's and only Katch-McArdle comes close to TDEE at 2867 calories.
    Do I use my own TDEE (2740) -15% for cut value? (2329 cals)

best regards,
    Disa

Yes., You have personal data over time. That is better than any BMR/TDEE estimator. Assuming you keep everything else the same set your target at 2329 to lose about .75lb / week.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If I ate 1200cals one day and 3000 the next, my body wouldn't know what to do,

Yes it would. You body stores energy for later use quite easily.

Ok well I 100% know that that's not how my body works, and I was talking from personal experience.

So what does your body do with extra calories?
  • thordisintho
    thordisintho Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why not use the MFP for your goals? This is a pet peeve of mine but why not try it this way for a while? If it doesn't work for you can try something else, but try it for a while and see...
    I started using MFP's goals in July 2011, used until November and lost 10kg. Gained 5 of those back during November/December and just can't eat so few calories anymore :) I was always tired and didn't have much energy for exercising, so I think I need more fuel. I've been eating 500-1000 over the "lose 1 pound a week" MFP gives me and I have maintained for 10 weeks. I feel like it's time that I educate myself.
  • thordisintho
    Options
    Yes., You have personal data over time. That is better than any BMR/TDEE estimator. Assuming you keep everything else the same set your target at 2329 to lose about .75lb / week.

thank you! Do I worry about BMR at all? Do I use a calculator to figure that out?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

thank you! Do I worry about BMR at all? Do I use a calculator to figure that out?

No. BMR is really irrelevant on it's own but can be helpful in estimating TDEE.
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Options
    OK, I'm going to try
    Well we all know that every body is different
    Surprisingly this is not true. We are more alike than we are different.....
    , I'm just saying if you're just starting out/changing your diet/trying to eat TDEE or a cut or whatever, that consistency, esp at the beginning, is important. If I ate 1200cals one day and 3000 the next, my body wouldn't know what to do, even though the average of those cals is 2100.

That is irrelevant. The amount per day does not matter.
    For me, personally anyway, I gain weight when I don't eat enough/enough times/consistently throughout the day. Before I started trying to get healthy again, I wouldn't eat until like lunch time, and would probably only eat about 3x/day and those were all after noon. And I'm certain that except at certain times, I never ate more than 2000-2500 cals and I was (am) obese.

How often you eat has zero bearing on body composition/metabolic rate etc. You could eat one meal a day and if the composition/total is the same as 9 smaller meals you will have the same effect.
    It wasn't until I started eating consistently that I started losing any weight. So zigzagging or whatever may work for some people, but it wouldn't necessarily work for all, and esp not at the beginning.

I think you should think about what other changes were made at the same time because the timing of meals or "consistency" of meals has nothing to do with body weight/composition.

Once again, I'll say it, I know my body and what I do and eating 2000 cals at one meal does not do for me what eating 2000 cals over 6-7 meals does, it never has. I'm 28yrs old, and I know my body. FOR ME it is not strictly and solely what I eat but HOW I eat. Period. Having some random person online tell me otherwise wouldn't change my mind.

EVERY single time I stop having several small meals a day I gain weight. EVERY time, so that's not a coincidence in my opinion.
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Options

Ok well I 100% know that that's not how my body works, and I was talking from personal experience.

My body likes to store fat if I don't eat with consistency, seeing as how being INCONSISTENT with my eating is how I got to 227lbs
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you consistently eat between 2300-2700 calories a day (2300 for a very large cut and 2700 for a smaller more manageable one), and continue exercise as usual, you should lose weight. and not be hungry.

It's tempting to turn into a science project (I admit I'm a victim to this mentality) but once you have your "magic number", resist the urge to keep calculating or figuring more numbers in. If you are consistently losing weight, then you will probably need to steadily decrease your calories-in, but for now I think you should focus on 2300-2700. Reevaluate when you lose 10lbs or so :)
  • thordisintho
    Options
    If you consistently eat 2300 calories a day, and continue exercise as usual, you should lose weight.

It's tempting to turn into a science project (I admit I'm a victim to this mentality) but once you have your "magic number", resist the urge to keep calculating or figuring more numbers in. If you are consistently losing weight, then you will probably need to steadily decrease your calories-in, but for now I think you should focus on 2300. Reevaluate when you lose 10lbs or so :)

thank you, I will re-evaluate after 10lbs :)
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I guess the big problem with inconsistency is that it makes it difficult to track things. Some days you will go way under BMR, some others you will go way over your TDEE. If this becomes a daily thing, the body will not like it. If this only happens every now and then, the body will readjust (sickness, big eating/drinking weekend, etc.)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I guess the big problem with inconsistency is that it makes it difficult to track things. Some days you will go way under BMR, some others you will go way over your TDEE. If this becomes a daily thing, the body will not like it. If this only happens every now and then, the body will readjust (sickness, big eating/drinking weekend, etc.)

Consistency is a big deal. Not only physically, but mentally as you get going on your weight loss journey, Some may disagree, but it will be easier to have some momentum behind you if you stay consistent. It is much easier to fall off the band wagon and fall into this on again, off again mentality if your eating 4000 calories one day and 1200 the next.
    I know in my personal experience (as well as many of those in this group) that there will be fewer weight fluctuations (from water) if you keep your calories consistent,
    For us as women, we have enough water weight fluctuations as it is, we don't need any help in that department,
    Your calorie goal of 2300-2700 sounds great. The bottom line is pick a calorie goal and stick to it. It's hard to know if you're making any real progress, or the reason for it, unless you remain consistent.
    It sounds like you did a great job of staying consistent throughout your reset, and you have a great idea of what maintenance looks like.
    Keep us posted on your progress!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

My body likes to store fat if I don't eat with consistency, seeing as how being INCONSISTENT with my eating is how I got to 227lbs

Body fat is stored energy
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You know, there are people that have opinions and that is fine and all, however many tend not to participate in some of the other forums, groups etc because the vibe just isn't cool. If you don't agree with the EM2WL views, concepts, practices etc...that is ok, but don't come on our boards to debate, refute or undermine what we are teaching. People are here for a reason....they will be treated with respect, will not be responded to in a condesceding and/or demeaning manner ever.

This string right here is reminiscent of that which I don't like to see...I don't mind people sharing views and opinions, but to go through the threads to refute what our beliefs are...not acceptable.

Lucia
This discussion has been closed.