Wk4 Day 1 - Quite a jump!

Options
JHPlunkett
JHPlunkett Posts: 20 Member
This is my first post on MFP, so... HI! :bigsmile:

I just did Week 4 Day 1 today, and WOW it feels like quite a jump from week 3! Did anyone else feel like this was a huge shock? I made it, but I had to slow down some. I'm pretty slow anyway, but the podcasts I listen to keep telling me that I have to stay slow while I build endurance. I'm taking that advice to heart! MFP actually classifies my "run" speed as walking! (I'm doing my C25K on a treadmill, just FYI... keeps the weather from being an excuse not to do it!)

I can honestly say, I don't know if I have ever run for 5 straight minutes in my life. I never ran the mile for the Presidential physical fitness test thing in school.. I always walked after the first lap or so. Today I ran a total of 16 minutes including two 5 minute runs. I almost didn't make it through the last one, but I know next time will be easier.

I'm proud of myself, and I can see a difference in my body. I've been tracking my food for a couple of weeks (I didn't the first 2 weeks for some reason) so my weight loss started slow... it's picking up now!

For everyone who is trying to get off the couch and get started... do it. I've only been at this for a little over 3 weeks and already I feel TONS better... My wife is seeing my body change, and my work colleagues commented this morning that they are starting to see a change too! YOU CAN DO IT! If a 275lb guy with bad knees, bad ankles, high blood pressure who once swore he'd "never run unless something with large scary teeth was chasing him" can do it... YOU CAN TOO!

Replies

• buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am W2D1- I never ran before either. I got a heart rate moniter to accurately check my calories- (i have a naturally high resting heart rate)- BEST THING I EVER BOUGHT! I have a membership to our rec center so I sometimes go use their indoor track! (keeps me from excuses as well)

Keep up the good work! I know I am feeling better....soon the changes will come to my body as well......
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    You're doing great! I only made it to week six before being currently sidelined with a injured leg, but I found week 4 to be the hardest one for me. I repeated that week. Week five seemed a lot easier to me, even the 20 minute run. Keep up the great work, I'm incredibly frustrated to have had to stop the program, but have to let my leg heal. I was seeing such great improvements in cardiovascular capability in such a short time, it is amazing!
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was seeing such great improvements in cardiovascular capability in such a short time, it is amazing!

I have noticed that just in the W1 that I completed- don't feel as winded with normal everyday stuff! I hope your leg heals quickly!!
  • danner13
    danner13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 and day one was tough, the hardest run I have had so far. I was a little worried about completing the rest of the week, but it actually got easier with days 2 and 3! Now to conquer the dreaded week 5! Good luck and stay motivated!
  • JHPlunkett
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to hear that it go easier for all of you. I kept telling myself during that last 5 min run today "Friday's run will be easier... I can push through now, and it'll be easier next time". I'm glad I wasn't lying to myself :laugh:

Good luck to all of you!
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow ... Was feeling great, but only one day behind you ... Hope I can do next week ... Feels great so far
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    On one thread, someone said that on Day 3 of each week, she would make the last run interval extended into the increase for the next week. So, on Week 3, Day 3, she would have done 5 minutes for her last run interval and then started the 5 minute cool-down. I have tried doing that and it really helps.

Another piece of advice that I read is just try it. Don't expect to fail. Go into it thinking that you can do it and you will probably find out that you can!
  • JHPlunkett
    Options
    Wow ... Was feeling great, but only one day behind you ... Hope I can do next week ... Feels great so far

Like I said in my original post.. if i can do it, anyone can!

Was it difficult? Yes.
    Was it a lot of fun at the time? No.
    Did I feel awesome when I finished? Yes!

I actually went and walked about 30 minutes on my lunch break today... so i'm not even that exhausted.

It WILL get easier on my next attempt (and yours!). Don't be afraid of it! Just keep trying!

You are 100% more active than the guy/gal who is still on the couch regardless of how long it takes you to work up to it!
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are awesome!! I am totally struggling with week 4. On Monday I made it through the first 1/2 mile, but took small walking breaks during the second. And then today I'm pretty sure I just got lazy and took small walking breaks both times. I need to push myself! I really miss the feeling that I accomplished something I didn't think I could do.
  • Lilsluvsliverpool
    Options
    Awesome to hear how well you are doing. This morning was WK 2 Day 2 for me and I feel great and I thought I was going to get winded but nope. Usually I have been running outdoors and today was the first time on the treadmill, it was fine good to know how far I went and was able to check heart rate. :) I am eating less than I normally do and have been good re : night time snacking, so far I notice how great I feel afterwards, no change yet with my body as in changes but I am patient and know it will come!
  • JHPlunkett
    Options
    Decided to hop on the treadmill this afternoon and before I knew it I had run a mile in about 15 min. It is slow, but I did it! I haven't run a milein years, if ever. Certainly haven't done it in 15 min! I can't believe it. C25K really really works!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to leave week 3. The 3 minute run is still kicking my booty!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Then I would repeat week three :)
  • JHPlunkett
    Options
    Yep... repeat week 3 if it is kicking your rump. No shame! You're still lapping all those people on the couch! Keep up the good work! It's not about how long it takes, it's doing it that counts!
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner but have always been a little envious of those that are, and here I am on week 4! I was surprised when I did week three by how easy I found it (if easy is ending looking like I'm gonna have a heart attack!). I jog on a bike trail and do the run in one direction, then I turn around and do the entire workout again on the way back, so I'm getting it in twice in under an hour. On my last day of week three, I even ran through a lot of the walking breaks, plus picked up my speed! I actually felt like I was RUNNING for once. (On a side note, I picked up my pace because I felt like I was dragging, sluggish, my feet just didn't want to move, and it was either go back to walking or go faster. I went faster, and it felt better than the slower pace I had been keeping!)

Last night I did week 4 day 1. Dead. Hardest day by far.... although week one was killer :wink:
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am scared to start week five tomorrow! I changed my method from distance to time on Friday and it helped a TON. I was able to focus on technique, rather than thinking "the faster I go the sooner this is over!" and distract myself with music rather than trying to remember what lap I'm on (my track is 19 laps to a mile). So I actually did okay! But wow, in for a challenge next week!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the difference between a three minute run and a five minute run as much as I did between the 90 second run and the three minute run. Everything after about 2 minutes just feels like effort anyway! I actually found the second 3 minute run harder than the second 5 minute run. Still, I'm optimistic!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 day 1 today and just went slow slow slow. The second to the last run I only ran for 2.5 minutes and then walked 2 and ran 3. I kept looking at my stop watch wondering when I was going to be done. But I did it!
  • TennisQtpye
    TennisQtpye Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of week 4. So I'm repeating 2week 3 this week. Have a race in Aug and Nov. I better get it together