*HELP...* My hair!!!

Options
Natashia524
Natashia524 Posts: 35 Member
Hello ladies!

Okay, so I have a problem... I usually have my hair in cornrows when I workout but I have been wearing my (permed) hair lately and working out with it has been a DISASTER (shedding, breaking, looking a HOT mess)!!! I need some suggestions/tips ASAP!! How do you all wear it WHEN you workout… What do you do AFTER the workout… What hair styles (with your real hair) can withstand the sweat… etc?? All suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks ladies!!

~Tasha~

Replies

• KiKi429
    KiKi429 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hi... i usually wear my hair blown out... but with working out it usually doesn't stay that way as i sweat a lot in my head.. i have found a pretty good fix, besides not getting my hair blow-dried and just wearing it curly. For mother's day, my daughter bought me a hair wrap/band called save your doo. It's made by actress Nicole Ari Parker (she has a website for this). I must say i am quite impressed by this product!!!
  • Natashia524
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! So what does the wrap/band do... Why so impressed?? :o)
  • Pammilla2000
    Pammilla2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oooo girl, I feel you. I just recently did the big chop in August of 2011 so when I work out I twist or braid it up. When I wore a relaxer & worked out (I sweat easily & a LOT) I usually would wear weaves or a weave ponytail. That was the only way that I could deal with it without having to wash & condition it everyday.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    How are you with protein (in your hair?) I would co-wash (wash with a conditioner like Hello Hydration by Herbal Essence) and since you're relaxed I would try a more protective style like a loose ponytail or a wrap. If you've been trimmed I would try Jamaican Black Castor Oil for the ends and hairline. Lastly, keep your scalp moisturized but not oily/ greasy. Trapping heavy grease or dirt will clog the follicle break the hair and stun the growth.

Since you seem to have a weak shaft, I would try to stand clear of cornrows and manipulative styles...unless you have length and can get away with one or two cornrows.

HTH...GL
  • Natashia524
    Options
    Okay, so honestly I do nothing with my hair... I wrap it at night and wear it down during the day so I have no idea about the protein in my hair. I don't even wash my own hair... I let my beautician take care of all that stuff. *embarrassed* Typically when I workout with my hair I just wear a ponytail but after even a few days of working out, wrapping my hair gets much harder and it doesn't lay as nicely when I unwrap it. It gets bushy and curly at the scalp and I get major shedding. I think I'm just going to go ahead and cornrow it up until I can figure something out. I don't want to let this stop/hinder my workouts... I'm getting TOO FINE!!! LOL. Jk.

Thanks for the tips!
  • Apsalmss27
    Apsalmss27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can try doing wet set. This style works good hen you are working out. The older it gets, the better it looks.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For the summer I wear my hair naturally curly, but when I do flat iron it, I put it in a bun and wrap a scarf or sweat band around my head( edges) Also what is really effective for me is wrapping my hair while I am working out ( if I am at home) or as soon as i finish working out I wrap it really tight and that works well.

If I have a crazy work out day and am sweating like crazy I apply coconut oil to my hair blow dry it with a comb or low heat and wrap it tight. This gets rid of the waves at the roots and the coconut oil moisturizes and protects!
  • Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am 1 year natural. & I sweat in my head a lot too. I currently have a sew-in & it's a God sent. :love:

I had this conversation with other friends who lost significant amounts of weight & they either use this method or some other type of banding process (braids, twists, etc) for regular exercising.

I wrap my hair with a scarf tightly before I work out (just the edges). At least if the edges stay flat I'm ok!
  • Natashia524
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies!! It's really making me think about the best course of action here. See... wrapping my hair during (or after) the workout still doesn't seem to help much. My hair still doesn't lay as flat, or look as shiny, as it normally would AND my hair sometimes flies out the of wrap at the top during the workout so that messes it all up too. From what I am hearing, it seems like braids/cornrows or sew-ins is the way to go since I sweat so much-- I already have the hair appt set up for Friday morning!! LOL
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There was another post about this topic too. Anyway I tried out these Nike sweat bands. They were OK. But now that I have had them a few weeks, it seems that are poorly made. I see tiny holes at the seams right now.

I tried out this one today, it is cheaper and superior to the Nike one. I picked it up at Target, not I need to go and get a few more! My edges stayed dry and I was totally sweaty in my workout and walking to the gym since it was really hot.
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/dri-sweat-flex-active-wear-cap-women's/ID=prod6031163-product.

Definitely pick some up.

(I was thinking of getting Save Your Do, but it is headquartered basically 10 miles from my house, by the mall so I didn't want to pay $7 for shipping, knowing I go over there every couple of weeks. I tweeted them, emailed them and no response. So I had to boot them from the list for poor customer service.)
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm relaxed, but typically keep my hair bunned because I like to keep my ends protected for growth. I conditioner wash my hair more frequently because I do workout now and after carefully detangling, I let my hair airdry in the bun if I have to go out or let it airdry loose if I have time. I keep it well moisturized, which also helps with the breakage factor.

As another poster mentioned, twist outs or braid outs on moisturized relaxed hair work too. If you're working out and then flat ironing afterwards, the sweat combined with heat likely don't mix.

If you're wrapping your hair, make sure your wrap is silk rather than cotton.