Barbell/Dumbell @ home newbie

Options
Rennae9
Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
Hello,

I need recommendations. I can only weight train at home 3x's a week. I am not certain what exercises to do each day. I want to of course make certain all muscle groups are covered as best as they can be at home. I have found a couple of websites, Muscle and Strength and Bodybuilding.com. They provide lots of information on how to do the weight lifting properly but I was wondering if anyone knew where I can find what workouts work better grouped together.

For instance, Monday I would do chest/ab and biceps/triceps -- Wednesday I would do Legs/Glutes ---- Friday I would do back/abs.

Oh and another questions! I do cardio 6 days a week. On the days that I lift should I do the lifting before the cardio?

Thanks in advance for any information! :smile:

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to do full body workouts 3 days a week instead of splits. Compound lifts-squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press are great for the whole body!

I do lifting before cardio and most days cardio on non lifting days. I want all my energy for the strength training.

http://www.myomytv.com/nia-shanks-k-i-s-s-strength-training-workouts-and-programs/

here is a blog post with some more info on strength training and sample program.
  • Rennae9
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I am going to go check out the link you gave me. :smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I agree with deni. Unless you're an advanced lifter (years of training) then full body workouts 3x per week are best. The key is to challenge yourself and progressively lift heavier weights while maintaining ideal form. Compound movements like squats, push-ups, rows, step-ups, deadlifts, shoulder presses and lunges are all great. Add in different core (ab) moves each time you lift.

Check your local library for books on strength training.
  • lhiota
    lhiota Posts: 4
    Options
    i started with full body workout for two weeks, with a 10 min warm up cardio before weights.
    Now i am doing split trainning for 30 min and then cardio for 30 more, 4 days a week. it has been working great for me this way, and the thing is my workout sessions changes every two weeks to work on different muscles each time and adjust the weight i lift when i get used to it.
    all i do it under a trainer´s supervision and so far so good. :)
  • byrdamy
    byrdamy Posts: 40
    Options
    I agree on the full body workouts, that is what my trainer has me do as well. Everything I have read says lift first then cardio. Jillian michael has a website, I believe there is a trial period, she will recommend workout circuits, that can be printed, you could print a few then cancel if you didn't like the site. Her circuits are full body, manageable and don't require a lot of equipment.
  • Rennae9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info! So I will focus on "full body" workouts then instead of each muscle group. Thanks again...I am off to do more research. :smile:
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Bump ( so I can read later)