Swollen thyroid?

Options
I was at the doctor for an unrelated illness and my doctor noticed that my thyroid was swollen. I used to take Synthroid when I was a teenager for this exact thing (there were nodules all over my thyroid) but it's been so long I don't remember what the deal was.

Anyone else with nodules? Can you tell me exactly what it is that you have, like is there a name for it? I just made an appointment with my GP so I can get a referral to an endo and I was looking to read up a bit so I'm not going into the appts blind and in case my GP doesn't want to refer me.

Replies

• BetherFace
    BetherFace Posts: 48
    Options
    Oh! Also! After getting on a treatment plan that worked for you (with any thyroid problem) did anyone notice a return of sex drive if you had a low one before?
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    my mom has this, and I have a milder version because I eat healthier than her. The poor lady can't eat processed carbs or sugary things without her thyroid getting swollen. At first she thought it was just her thyroid in general but she realized it happened mostly after a few days of eating high carb, high sugar, processed foods, or processed dairy. Cut out most of those things in your diet for 2-3 weeks and see if it helps.

I was on synthetic thyroid hormone and after changing my diet to eliminating most of those foods mentioned above, I haven't had to take it. :)
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    No clue about this! There are foods that cause goiters on your thyroid, but I don't think that's the same as a swollen thyroid.
    You can search on swollen thyroid on www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Terri
  • heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, with Hashimoto's Disease one gets goiters (big nodules) and many small ones. They do not pose a threat of any sort, mine are managed through medication and living a better life style. I hope this helps.