Fasting before blood work?

Options
brooke800
brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
I started Levothyrozine 6 weeks ago and need to go get my levels checked. Last time I got them checked was when I was first diagnosed. I was also having my cholesterol checked so I needed to fast. Should I fast this time too for consistency?

Thanks!

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi Brooke,
    That happened to me too... but no, you don't have to fast for this test. :happy:
  • brooke800
    Options
    Thanks, Debby- And one more question..should I take my medicine? I'm afraid because I take it first thing in the morning (right before I need to go for the blood work) it will make it appear that my TSH is lower than it really is.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Terri suggested that it would be better to take it after your blood test for that reason... when I asked the same question. A couple hours won't make that much difference, as far as being late taking it.
    Hope things go well!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Agree - T4 has a longer half-life, so it won't hurt to not take it right before blood work. But you don't need to fast for thyroid. Drink lots of water.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have been on Levoxyl for 9 years now and have always been told I need to fast before bloodwork and not to take medicine until afterwards. I would confirm with your dr.
  • heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been on Levoxyl for 9 years now and have always been told I need to fast before bloodwork and not to take medicine until afterwards. I would confirm with your dr.

I do the same thing. I always fast before blood work and I also take my medication in the evening because I get better results and feel better during the day then if I were to take it in the morning. (under a Dr's. guidance) But really jus talk to your dr. and ask what he/she wants you to do.
  • brooke800
    Options
    Thanks all! I wasn't able to talk to the dr today as my actual appiontment isn't until next week and I didn't ask the lab tech. I decided to not drink coffee and not take my meds, but I did have a handful of cereal. I figured that wouldn't make much of a difference either way!
  • 35again
    35again Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing for levo is that you are consistent. If you fast or don't, take it before or after, continue to do that in following tests so the results are more accurate.
  • cndpsu4ever
    Options
    I normally have to fast for all of my blood work because my doctor is always testing for other things as well. If you can do your bloodwork early, I would fast. I have had the misfortunes on some days where I would have to fast all day and then I get cravings all night.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just had my blood work done and my Doctor told me to wait until after the test to take my Thyroid medicine. I take Armour though, maybe it's different for Lavoxyl or Synthroid.