Energy Level on the Decline

Options
nixirain
nixirain Posts: 448 Member
Ok, so I have been putting off asking this question because I have had a few changes recently and wanted to make sure that I got myself settled before I started Making changes to my calorie intake/macros etc. I am 30 years old 4'11" and as of this morning 141lbs. I have gone up and down 1 lb for the last 4 months (since I started eating more than 1200 calories). Same with measurements. I am bouncing back and forth the same 3 inches or so.

Based on an average of all the calorie calculators known to man, I have been eating 1600 calories and making sure I at least net my BMR which is between 1250-1300. I have gone over some days because I am human but only once have I eaten over TDEE most of the time that I go over is within 50 calories. I also keep my macros as close as possible to 40/30/30

I started doing NROLFW on 4/30 and did that 3 days a week for 3 weeks straight (about 45-50 each session including warm up/cool down and walking to and from the gym) and took my dog on a 20-30 minute walk on my off days.

I was so beat!!!! I had no energy and finally took a break from working out for 2 weeks and started again this week. I thought I might do 2 days of cardio and 2 days of lifting (45 min each session) and walking my dog for 30 min on off days, but so far I am having the same problem with low energy again. Other than my work outs I am pretty much sedentary for the rest of the time.

Finally my question/plead for advice: I want to have a work out routine that involves a combo of lifting and cardio and a calorie goal that will allow me to do long term. Meaning that I don't care how long it takes me to lose just as long as the measurements are going down.

My goal is to get around 21-24% body fat right now and hopefully a size 4. (I am a size 10 right now) According to BF calculators online I am between 34.5 and 32% body fat.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    How frustrating for you- once you get this figured out you'll be golden because you've already proven you can stick with it. Four months! Nothing to sneeze at there.

My first question- are you sure you have yourself set at the right activity level? Sedentary isn't for most folks- find a minute by minute calculator for your day - this can help shine some light on your activity level and get you the correct numbers. I'm a housewife who spends four hours a day on the internet- so sedentary right? Nope- turns out I'm mildly active. This is important to do so I can't recommend it enough.

Take a typical day and make note of what you're doing. How long did you do dishes? How far did you walk in Walmart? Did you stand on the sidelines at the Soccer game? How long do you vacuum? These things add up faster than one would think.

Here's a good calculator-
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

Second question- are you getting enough protein and fat and carbs? Ratios- are you REALLY hitting them? I thought I was fine on protein till I took a look at some long-track numbers.

Hope this helps a bit
  • nixirain
    Options
    Thanks!

I think I am not at the right activity level. But I do not feel confident enough to pick it, lol! For the 1600 calorie goal it was based on lightly active. I really am a bad house keeper so there isn't much else I can add to my activity level other than I have a 3 level house so I go up and down the stairs alot. (1 level garage, 2nd level living room/kitchen/3rd level bedrooms) I push paperwork all day so I only get up to pick stuff op off the copier (which is less than 10 feet away) Most of my free time is spent watching TV.

I am kinda lost if you can't tell!
  • nixirain
    Options
    I also wanted to add that I had my thyroid checked 2 weeks ago and it was completely normal.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I would say you are in the higher end of the light activity level. You are calculating based off of Sedentary right now?
  • nixirain
    Options
    The 1600 is based off lightly active TDEE with a 15% cut.

Do you think I should up it?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Before changing,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/604089-patterns-emerging-for-hunger-satiety-energy-and-fatigue

Let me know if you are in the normal pattern here :)
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Are you maxing your protein out? How many grams are you eating a day? Ever since I've increased my protein to 140g-160g my energy is through the roof.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Before changing,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/604089-patterns-emerging-for-hunger-satiety-energy-and-fatigue

I thought about this so I kept my calories the same while I took the 2 week break from my work outs. I had no loss/ but way more energy by still eating 1600 calories sedentary. I am talking I was falling asleep during dinner and I am super tired all day at work once I started working again.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Are you maxing your protein out? How many grams are you eating a day? Ever since I've increased my protein to 140g-160g my energy is through the roof.

I eat 100 to 120 grams per day which is my 30% goal. I have physical stomach problems eating more than that per day on 1600 calories. If I had to up my calories I would increase, but my body seems to like the 40/30/30 balance.

I think my level is right since it is usually recommended to have .8g to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass (which is 94-104lbs per online calculators). I may be wrong.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Before changing,

I thought about this so I kept my calories the same while I took the 2 week break from my work outs. I had no loss/ but way more energy by still eating 1600 calories sedentary. I am talking I was falling asleep during dinner and I am super tired all day at work once I started working again.

You can try to increase to 1700 calories for a week while working out. Then again to 1800 to see if the energy levels go up/down. This is a good test, but can slow weight loss, but is pivotal in learning what your body needs.
  • nixirain
    Options
    I will try 1700 then for a week and see if it helps with my energy level. Thanks!!
  • nixirain
    Options
    What about workouts? Should I do more or less or stay the same. I am new to this whole working out on a regular basis thing and feel kinda lost. I like NROLFW, but I like cardio too. One of my friends said it may be a good idea to have a goal like training for something. There is a marathon in February that I could do a half then and train for that. I don't know. I just want energy to work out and I guess I feel lost.

I think it's almost worse for me because I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past (8-9 years ago and 70lbs) by doing a VLCD and no exercise. Eating more and working out does make sense to me but it is hard to do when your body reacts this way and you don't know how to fix it.

Thanks guys!!!
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What about workouts? Should I do more or less or stay the same. I am new to this whole working out on a regular basis thing and feel kinda lost. I like NROLFW, but I like cardio too. One of my friends said it may be a good idea to have a goal like training for something. There is a marathon in February that I could do a half then and train for that. I don't know. I just want energy to work out and I guess I feel lost.

I think it's almost worse for me because I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past (8-9 years ago and 70lbs) by doing a VLCD and no exercise. Eating more and working out does make sense to me but it is hard to do when your body reacts this way and you don't know how to fix it.

Thanks guys!!!

From everything I understand, it's somewhat counterproductive to do weight training while doing heavy cardio or other endurance training (marathon training, triathlon training) as you burn up the muscle you've just worked so hard to increase. NROLFW seems to only advocate HIIT, and not an intense amount, either. I was doing crazy cardio at first, but my BF was staying the same. Switched to NROLFW and cut waaaaay back on the cardio (only do HIIT 3 days/week now) and I have lost 1% BF FINALLY! Cardio has definitely NOT been my friend, but lifting has started me on the path to that healthy, strong, lean and toned body I want.

Can anyone else jump in with a more "scientific" explanation? ; )
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11'' and 120 pounds. My TDEE is 2000 and my cut is 1700 calories. I lift 2-3 times a week and run once or twice, pretty similar to you. I would up your calories.

Also make sure you are not anemic or some other medical reason for your fatigue.

Good luck
  • nixirain
    Options
    @TiffyChick: That makes sense about the cardio. Maybe I will change my cardio days to HIIT instead and keep up with the NRLFW.

@Yanicka1: I thought I needed to but I was scared to up too much and run into the same problem. You are at my goal weight right now so you give me hope!! Good call about he anemia, but I actually have really high iron and have to watch what I eat. I know it sounds crazy, but its a condition that alot of people in my family have and I shock doctors all the time with my blood work! lol