Energy gels and stuff....

Options
natvanessa
natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
So I never paid attention to all those energy gummies, shots, and gels but now that I've started running and checking out these forums I keep hearing about them.

I am training for a half marathon and wonder if they will help. It's just that sometimes, like early in the morning, I feel sluggish and have a hard time getting my legs to move LOL!

Do these energy gels really work? What is in them? Are they natural or chemicals?

Also, I have been looking around local retail stores and can't find much selection. I'd like to try to find GU (as I almost worked there once and they gave me a ton of samples at my interview...but I wasn't an athlete back then! They just tasted good), but I can't find GU anywhere.
I haven't checked sporting good stores yet but was hoping to find other types of places that carry this stuff.

Thanks!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    So I never paid attention to all those energy gummies, shots, and gels but now that I've started running and checking out these forums I keep hearing about them.

I am training for a half marathon and wonder if they will help. It's just that sometimes, like early in the morning, I feel sluggish and have a hard time getting my legs to move LOL!

Do these energy gels really work? What is in them? Are they natural or chemicals?

Also, I have been looking around local retail stores and can't find much selection. I'd like to try to find GU (as I almost worked there once and they gave me a ton of samples at my interview...but I wasn't an athlete back then! They just tasted good), but I can't find GU anywhere.
    I haven't checked sporting good stores yet but was hoping to find other types of places that carry this stuff.

Thanks!

They are chemicals etc.

I personally cannot take them. I've taken gummy type of stuff for longer races. I don't find the need in a half but i routinely train without so I have conditioned my body to use stored energy more efficently.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They are processed, but effective if you are accustomed to them. You'll need to go to a sporting goods store to get them though. Personally I like the Gu Chomps better than the gels, but to each their own.

Just make sure you train with them if you plan on racing with them.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Your local running store should have many to choose from. My local running store has a bewildering array, lol.

I have never used them, but my longest run so far is only 6 miles. Some runners just use gummy bears and mini-pretzels. Others make their own with honey. That's probably what I will do if I need something like that.

I already make my own sports drink. 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons local honey, 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Tastes good, seems to work great on my 80+ minute cross training sessions.

I also make my own recovery drink. 2 cups water, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons local honey and half a scoop (13 grams) of whey protein isolate unflavored. That gives the drink a 4:1 ratio, carbs:protein. Works great for me after my longer runs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't find the need in a half but i routinely train without so I have conditioned my body to use stored energy more efficently.

This.

I train without them, with the exception of a test run or two with the gel that I intend to use in a race. For a HM, I will take one 15 minutes before the gun and then one after about an hour. For a marathon, I do one 15 minutes before an then one every 45 minutes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    According to Jeff Galloway sugar cubes or candy works just as well.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just for fun, compare the ingredients to a package of jelly candy. They're pretty close. I started out by using gummy bears and candy fruit slices and hard candies. I eventually switched to honey (you can find it in the ketchup-style packets) and fresh clementines.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I make my own (a Fuel Belt gel flask - equiv to about 4 or 5 gels - costs me a little over $1 and is enough for 2 Sunday long runs)

The measurements aren't precise but the recipe goes like this:

Fill the flask to the 3 line with honey
    Add molasses (to the 4 or 4.5 depending on how thick you like it)
    add a pinch of salt
    top up with water to dilute and shake vigorously

I've found it works as well as any of the gels I've tried, is 100% natural and is a fraction of the cost (plus it tastes like the old fashioned candy kisses that you used to get at Halloween)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I make my own (a Fuel Belt gel flask - equiv to about 4 or 5 gels - costs me a little over $1 and is enough for 2 Sunday long runs)

The measurements aren't precise but the recipe goes like this:

Fill the flask to the 3 line with honey
    Add molasses (to the 4 or 4.5 depending on how thick you like it)
    add a pinch of salt
    top up with water to dilute and shake vigorously

I've found it works as well as any of the gels I've tried, is 100% natural and is a fraction of the cost (plus it tastes like the old fashioned candy kisses that you used to get at Halloween)

Can you pack up a bunch of them for me in foil packs like Gu and send them to me? :) I'd do this, but I'm not wearing a fuel belt for a race. No way, no how.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Can you pack up a bunch of them for me in foil packs like Gu and send them to me? :) I'd do this, but I'm not wearing a fuel belt for a race. No way, no how.

:laugh: The flask will clip on to any race belt. (I have an aversion to pinning bibs on to my shirts & they're convenient if you're doing a du or tri as your number has to show on your back for the bike & front for the run)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I try to limit the processed stuff I eat but while training for my half I found that once I was out for more than an hour I would get really REALLY tired - especially when it was hot/humid out. I found these organic energy chews on amazon and they are basically honey and electrolytes and I can't complain. They supply sugar for quick energy without a crash and electrolytes for when you're sweating hard. They're called honey stingers and I eat 1-2 every 10 minutes or so after 6 miles. Sometimes I don't feel like I need them but sometimes I do. I carry them in the pocket of my hydration belt but I stashed them in my bra for my race and it went fine.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like the GU gels - I used 2 during my half marathon and they helped so much! I felt like I had more energy a minute or 2 after eating them.
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ging3rNinja08
    Ging3rNinja08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Torq gels and love the Rubarb Custard flavour, for long runs I tend to alternate between these and Jelly Beans/Haribo every 45 mins or so.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

The brilliant thing about most gels though isn't so much the carbs as you can get a sugary kick from a lot of places but the addition of electrolytes (especially for those of us in the South). Personally I try to limit the use of these in training. Mostly long runs (>90 minutes) and long rides. For run races if I anticipate finishing in under 90 minutes I usually just go with the sport drink on course for nutrition. Anything over 1.5 hours I start with a GU Roctane at 40 minutes and take one every half hour there after.
  • cybershaz
    cybershaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have tried (what feels like) every gu, gel, gummy under the sun and they just don't play well with my stomach. For HM I don't take anything - as a previous poster said, my body is just used to it. For my 30km this year I did bring some trail mix - the mix of dried fruit and nuts was a good energy mix.

I also take electrolyte pills (salt stick) for longer runs / heat just so I'm not losing too many electrolytes (I get major nausea with that). No extra energy, but stops me from bonking.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    bump, good info, I was wondering the same thing.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

The brilliant thing about most gels though isn't so much the carbs as you can get a sugary kick from a lot of places but the addition of electrolytes (especially for those of us in the South). Personally I try to limit the use of these in training. Mostly long runs (>90 minutes) and long rides. For run races if I anticipate finishing in under 90 minutes I usually just go with the sport drink on course for nutrition. Anything over 1.5 hours I start with a GU Roctane at 40 minutes and take one every half hour there after.
    Something I just discovered and tried this weekend is that blackstrap molasses has nearly a perfect blend of electrolytes and carbs. So just mix a tbs into your water bottle with a little salt. It also is good for mixing a Tbs into a recovery drink. For those who run long a lot in the heat this is a lot less expensive than commercial gels and drinks.
  • jquinn1971
    jquinn1971 Posts: 14
    Options
    Something I just discovered and tried this weekend is that blackstrap molasses has nearly a perfect blend of electrolytes and carbs. So just mix a tbs into your water bottle with a little salt. It also is good for mixing a Tbs into a recovery drink. For those who run long a lot in the heat this is a lot less expensive than commercial gels and drinks.

Thanks for this! I've recently been using Hammer Gels, which are a little thinner than Gu and have some aminos mixed in, but would prefer to move away from the highly processed. Blackstrap molasses is on the shopping list.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I've recently been using Hammer Gels, which are a little thinner than Gu and have some aminos mixed in, but would prefer to move away from the highly processed. Blackstrap molasses is on the shopping list.

Hammer is generally regarded as the worst option out there amongst the bigger companies. GU, Cliff, Powerbar are all better options profile wise. From their gels to Endurolytes to the fact that Perpetum (sp?) can spoil in the heat it's no bueno. Salt Stick is another option if you prefer pills as far as quality electrolytes.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i like Infinit. you can make it into a paste or mix it with water, and you can customized it to your own likes