TDEE and Fitbit

Options
kay_bear52
kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
Good afternoon EM2WL friends.
I got my Fitbit yesterday and started wearing it today. so my question....right now at 5 pm today, per the fitbit my calories burned is 1350. So....with that said....at the end of the day should I see what it is and then adjust my TDEE to a lighter activity? This is a basic day for me so I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I do work at a desk most of the day. Right now I have it set at moderate and my TDEE is 2015. I'm not thinking I am going to get my calories burned up to that so I'm just trying to figure out what the correct thing to do is.

Replies

• trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    I would wait for at least a week, if not a month, of data before making any big adjustments. If you are eating an average TDEE-15%, your exercise cals are spread out through the week, right? Before you had the Fitbit you were eating the same number of cals each day whether you did exercise or not. Keep doing that and wait a week or so to see if the numbers you calculated match up with what the fitbit shows. Once you get your exercise days in there, I'm sure it'll start to even out.
  • trosewine
    Options
    Also keep in mind that Fitbit time counts steps/activity until 12 midnight. That's about 1/3 of your day that still remains which means if you are at about 1350 at 5pm, you will have at least 500 more cals burned at this same level of activity (assuming sedentary). If you do any extra walking or other exercising or cleaning house or shopping, that will go up.
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take an average of the previous 7 days to make sure my TDEE is still acurate.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At the end of the week, you will get an email report from fitbit that shows you the average daily calorie burn from that week among other data. I love my weekly report!
  • jamala19
    jamala19 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is the fitbit calorie measure really accruate for the TDEE and BMR? I think the fitbit is only capturing the calories burned on activity not on basic body function (like BMR)?

I ask also since I have been doing very little acitivity the less couple of weeks recovering from surgery. Some days, my fibit has registered around 1000 calories for the day-- but my BMR is around 1400 and that is prob not considering extra calories used to heal? Just want to make sure.
  • trosewine
    Options
    Is the fitbit calorie measure really accruate for the TDEE and BMR? I think the fitbit is only capturing the calories burned on activity not on basic body function (like BMR)?

I ask also since I have been doing very little acitivity the less couple of weeks recovering from surgery. Some days, my fibit has registered around 1000 calories for the day-- but my BMR is around 1400 and that is prob not considering extra calories used to heal? Just want to make sure.

As long as you entered your info (height, weight, gender, etc) on the fitbit site, it will calculate BMR using a typical BMR into your daily numbers that come up on the device. So, if you are only getting 1000 cals for 24 hours, you should check your settings on your fitbit account.

After using Fitbit for a week, then a month, I found it to be pretty accurate to my activity overall, especially on days when I walked, ran, played tennis or did nothing for my exercise. (Strength training it doesn't doesn't measure as well since there is lots of exertion, yet not a lot of movement.)
  • jamala19
    Options
    Thanks. Hmmm-- right now it is registering 1168 calories for the day (PST). I am at work, desk job. So, I haven't really moved around much today. But have walked back and forth to bathroom, around the office, etc. That seems low to me if ~1450 is my BMR according to Fat2fit and they recommend to lose 1700 for sedentary activity.
  • jamala19
    Options
    I guess I will burn another 300 calories before the day is done, but then I am around 1400 for BMR and sedentary. KWIM? Then I am way overeating at 1700 calories!
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was definitely surprised at how closely the Fitbit number came out to my TDEE -- I too have been tracking my daily numbers (nerdom FTW!) and over the past month I've been wearing it Fitbit says my daily expenditure is 2288. At my current height and weight and activity level, Fitness Frog calculates my TDEE to be 2204.

I've decided against getting a Bodymedia Fit for this reason, at least for now. If *something* doesn't happen in the next month, I might look into it, but Fitbit appears to be motivation and recorder enough for me.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Re: Fitbit's current numbers: give it a few days. See if there's a trend. If the Fitbit numbers continue to be vastly different than your TDEE, return and let's discuss.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    I have fitbit.. my days are various between 2,300-2,900 (depending on activity I do. I burn more during the weekend because I'm not working (I work at desk job). So I make sure to eat extra when I go under my net.) However most of days fitbit gives me seems ok.. always a bit over the tdee I get. so I'm ok.. I'm going to finish the reset within 4 weeks then do the cut :)
  • jamala19
    Options
    Scooby puts me at 1441 for desk with little exercise (1412 BMR). So I guess that would give me a little deficit, since I will likely make it to 1700 today? I had selected 1-3 hours exercise, since I I have been taking short walks during my recovery. But that gives me 1700 to lose and that's just breaking even right now.

But, I looked back at some of my previous entries when I was working out and I was getting between 1900-2100 per day.

Anyone else having issues with their FB syncing right now?
  • thelandofwin
    Options

As long as you entered your info (height, weight, gender, etc) on the fitbit site, it will calculate BMR using a typical BMR into your daily numbers that come up on the device. So, if you are only getting 1000 cals for 24 hours, you should check your settings on your fitbit account.

After using Fitbit for a week, then a month, I found it to be pretty accurate to my activity overall, especially on days when I walked, ran, played tennis or did nothing for my exercise. (Strength training it doesn't doesn't measure as well since there is lots of exertion, yet not a lot of movement.)

I could have written this post and second it! My Fitbit is scary accurate to my adjusted TDEE for a 2lb weight loss a week. It will auto adjust based on your activity levels too which is cool.
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. finished off the night at 1934 and I think the goal on fitbit was 2100. so not too bad. I have to give it credit...it motivates me. I was running up the deck stairs and took an extra lap around the yard so that I could get more steps in. I love that...lol
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit...

Although today I find that I burnt 546 cals yesterday and only ate 1853 putting me under my BMR of 1411....

I need another base station I think as I have mine at work!! Just dont think I could manage another 100 calories :sick: