Jillian's Daily Emails

Options
aprrae
aprrae Posts: 172 Member
I have been receiving Jillian's Daily Emails after signing up with my 30 free day trial. I no longer have access to the site, but I am getting her emails. I thought you all might like to see some of the daily info she sends out.

June 7th, 2012:

Putting Your Heart Into It
Did you know that doing a lower-body workout is one of the most effective ways to elevate your heart rate and burn calories? Well, it's true! In fact, it's why your daily routines are designed to work your lower body during each and every training session.
I like to divide muscle groups into the categories "front" and "back." You should work the front of your chest one day, and your upper back the next. This breakdown allows you to combine exercises for your upper body and lower body in a swift sequence called a super set. This drives the blood back and forth between your upper and lower body, allowing you to burn about twice as many calories! The extra calorie burn results from something called peripheral heart action, or PHA.

PHA is at the heart of my program (no pun intended), and it's one of the reasons I get such great results. As if burning more calories weren't enough, following this kind of routine also reduces the formation of lactic acid, which is the cause of muscle fatigue.

JILLIAN'S TIP OF THE DAY

How to Do It

Working your lower body effectively isn't as tricky as you think. You can sandwich upper-body moves like chest presses with interval cardio exercises to achieve PHA. Or you can do what are called compound moves, which combine lower-body exercises with upper-body moves. For example, you can do biceps curls while doing forward lunges. All it takes to achieve PHA is a little planning and coordination. If you're a member of my online program, I've done all the planning for you — just follow the circuit-training workouts on the site!

Replies

• mcmom0725
    mcmom0725 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I never signed up for that so thank you for sharing! Makes a lot of sense! Have a great day!
  • ttomlinson
    ttomlinson Posts: 22
    Options
    It makes perfect sense but my body just isn't getting the hint. I'm not getting results. :frown:
  • aprrae
    Options
    June 8, 2012:

How to Take Off Those Last 10 Pounds
    You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds.
    The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Today's society pressures us to want to look a certain way, so for aesthetic reasons we try to be thinner than our bodies want us to be. Personally, I have gained and lost the same 8 vanity pounds more times than I care to admit.

Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes.

Now, don't get me wrong — you can lose the weight if you want to, but it will require you to muster a tremendous amount of restraint and willpower. If you're really up for it, do the following for 30 days:

Cut your sodium to 1,000 mg a day.
    Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily.
    Cut out processed foods.
    Abstain from alcohol.
    Train at 85 percent of your MHR (maximum heart rate) for 1 hour 5 times a week.
    You can do a lot in 30 days — in fact, I can pretty much guarantee you will lose at least 5 pounds. And you'll feel like a rock star!

JILLIAN'S TIP OF THE DAY

Reward Yourself

When you achieve your goals, find ways to treat yourself like a king or queen, but without resorting to food. Try relaxing and pampering yourself. Take a long bubble bath; treat yourself to a manicure or a massage; buy yourself a little something you've been wanting; give yourself time to read a book. By taking the time to look after yourself, you're reminding yourself AND stating to the world that you're worth it and that you know you deserve the best life has to offer.
  • aprrae
    Options
    June 8, 2012:

Foods That Boost Muscle Growth
    Whether you're a girl or a guy, if you're trying to get fit, you're in the testosterone-boosting business. (Unless you have polycystic ovary syndrome, or PCOS, in which case your body produces too much testosterone.) Testosterone gives us energy, builds muscle, and heightens our libido. It also helps protect our bones and brains — all good stuff. Some foods can help increase this helpful hormone — here's how you can take advantage of them.
    Add some garlic and onions to your meals. A study conducted with rats found that garlic coupled with a high-protein diet increased testosterone levels. Allicin, a phytochemical found in garlic and onions, may also inhibit cortisol, which can compete with testosterone and interfere with its normal function.
    Get more niacin in your diet. Niacin, a B vitamin, has been shown to boost HDL cholesterol (the "good" kind), high levels of which have been associated with high levels of testosterone. Niacin is found in many foods, including dairy products, lean meats, poultry, fish, nuts, and eggs.
    Choose healthy vegetable fats. Vegetable fat intake has been shown to increase dihydrotestosterone, a form of testosterone responsible for the growth of body hair. Just take it easy on the soybean, corn, safflower, and sunflower oils — instead get your vegetable fats from heart-healthy canola and olive oils.
    Eat zinc-rich foods. These include oysters, Dungeness crab, beef, pork, dark-meat chicken and turkey, yogurt, cheddar cheese, cashews, almonds, baked beans, and chickpeas. One study found that restricting zinc in healthy young men led to a 75 percent reduction in their testosterone, while supplementing zinc-deficient older men doubled their testosterone.
    JILLIAN'S TIP OF THE DAY

Steer Clear of These Testosterone Reducers

Just as some foods can raise your testosterone level, others can bring it down. Studies have show that alcohol reduces testosterone levels in men, and one study revealed an increase in testosterone levels among alcoholics who became sober. Just one more reason to hold yourself to one drink a day, tops. Not getting enough fat or protein can also cause testosterone to take a hit — so make sure your diet is balanced.
  • pashalia
    pashalia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you soon much for sharing this emails