Hi everyone

Options
missmgray
missmgray Posts: 152 Member
I'm Michaellynn,

Found this group and was instantly intrigued by the idea. Let's get to talking about it!

Soooo...what's for dinner? =)

I am making minestrone soup and homemade bread.

Replies

• RealHealthQuest
    RealHealthQuest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I just started trying to eat whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I really think this is the way to go to take me from diet to lifestyle change. So far so good. I started a food blog at www.realfoodquest.com to help me on my way. I am open to ideas, suggestions, recipes and support. Excited to start a healthy relationship with food!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hi. This group sounds like it could be my kind of thing, but I'm not sure. :)

The idea of eating foods made from unaltered ingredients has a certain appeal to me. I tend to think that a balanced diet should be created by eating foods in the proper proportions, and not by taking unhealthy foods and mucking around with them. I'd also like to hear what other people are doing in light of those ideals, especially since I live in Israel where it's hard to find fat-free, sugar-free anything.

That said, I'm a little worried by the pro-raw milk bit in the group description. Pasteurizing milk prevents some pretty deadly diseases. And I also recognize that specific health issues require flexibility on the nothing-processed ideal.

And dinner was two hard boiled eggs (but only one yolk), two miniature buttermilk biscuits, and some jam.
  • missmgray
    Options
    Nice blog! Looking forward to seeing it flesh out over time. I agree that we should all try to get back to our roots when it comes to food. My family Is a great example of that to me. All excellent cooks and no one over weight until my generation. We are the ones who have eaten fast food and convenience foods most frequently and in quantity. I don't think my grandma (who is still with us, thank God) has ever been to taco bell after a night out drinking. Not that I do regularly but I had some serious fun in my twenties. =)

I love that I get to be a stay at home mom for right now and that it had allowed me the time to reevaluate my values when it comes to food and cooking for my family. Looking forward to swapping ideas and recipes with everyone!
  • vagthoa
    vagthoa Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi. I'm Jan. I am in my 60's and need to lose about 20 pounds. But more important to me is that I am putting healthy food into my body. "Do No Harm" is my motto, and we all know that processed food does harm. So, while I won't be drinking raw milk anytime soon, I will look for organic and locally produced foods.

Tonight, I am having crabmeat Louie.....salad with crabmeat, hard boiled egg, and homemade russian dressing. I am on a wheat-free diet, so no bread for me! But I will have dessert.....maybe rhubarb crisp or homemade vanilla ice cream.

Jan
  • missmgray
    Options
    Hi Jan. Rhubarb crisp sounds awesome. How do you make the crisp part wheat free?
  • RealHealthQuest
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about real foods recently and what I love about it is that nothing is off limits. That's right, enjoy butter, full fat cheese, raw milk if that's your thing (personally I like my pasteurized 2%) and your fats! The point is to think about what food was, including sweets, back when your grandma was a kid. The cookie that is homemade from real ingredients has got to be better for you than the cookie with a giant list of chemicals which your body can't process.

Since eating more non-processed foods I have found cravings decrease, things are actually too sweet sometimes, I feel better, and I can eat a hell of a lot of food with lower calories than what I used to eat when buying 'health' foods.
  • RealHealthQuest
    Options
    My husband will do a crisp with sugar, butter, and oatmeal for the crust. It's amazing.