Circuit training steps

Options
marz42
marz42 Posts: 223 Member
I love the 30 minute circuit training at PF except for one thing..the steps they have there at my PF are just TOO high. I think the idea is your supposed to step up and down the whole time between weight stations, but the steps there are a lot higher than say a normal stair tread, and too high to step on for each time between stations without killing my knees. They are also not even bolted down, which makes me worry they might tip. I'm not very fit and am trying to work my way up...I have no problem with any of the machines, they are all very adjustable and I'm a couple notches down now on each, just that step

. I know you can just jog in place but I always feel kind of silly doing that. I wish the steps came in varying heights. Does anyone else have a problem with the step heights? Luckily there often isn't anyone else doing the circuit (except sitting and just texting grr) and so I can just do the machines and skip the steps then go work on the tredmill. If anyone else is there I jog or try to remember zumba moves in between.

Replies

• Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I saw one person stepping over them, side to side.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    there are so many ways you could use these steps.... their goal is to bring your heart rate up between exercises
    i do steps, i do sides steps, i do jumps, i do crossing up and down and back, i do jumping over... i forget the steps and do jacks, burpees, i use them to strectch , i do squats....
    the goal is really to keep your heart rate up there...
    so feel free to improvise... as long as what you do is done in a safe way ;) have fun... I love the circuit and still do it once a week... it has helped me getting in better shape and I give it full credit for the 50 lbs i have lost and my renewed energy ;)
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose 50?
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    there are so many ways you could use these steps.... their goal is to bring your heart rate up between exercises
    i do steps, i do sides steps, i do jumps, i do crossing up and down and back, i do jumping over... i forget the steps and do jacks, burpees, i use them to strectch , i do squats....
    the goal is really to keep your heart rate up there...
    so feel free to improvise... as long as what you do is done in a safe way ;) have fun... I love the circuit and still do it once a week... it has helped me getting in better shape and I give it full credit for the 50 lbs i have lost and my renewed energy ;)

I might try doing some other exercises on them or near them, but anything involving stepping up and stepping down on the big steps mine have is a lot for my knees right now. I've been riding my bike some and the one at PF too hoping that might strengthen things up a bit.

Meanwhile if no one else is there I just do the machines then go do the treadmill or bike, and if others are going around at the same time I jog in place or make up dance type movies remembered from other classes. So far I like strength training stuff better than the aerobic parts (though I'm doing both), but I can never decide how much to do what of and the circuit simplifies it.

Last time I saw burpees on here I looked them up, omg.they look just evil.
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are a few people at mine that don't use them either. They jog in place or do leg lifts next to the step to maintain heart rate.