Skinny fat!

Options
zsaoosh
zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
I am 5'6.5'' SW 152, CW 134, GW 130-125. I got my body fat checked by a few devices and most say I am around 23% BUT when I went into the bod pod it said I was 33%! Its supposed to be the second most accurate and I belive it because I am thin but I am not tone at all. So I started lifting two weeks ago and went from 1200 cals to 1500 (not eating back exercise), just my alot of cardio and started lifting really hard. Well my arms are amazing and I went down a few jean sizes and cut 5 lbs BUT when I went back into the bod pod I only cut .2% body fat! What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can we get a full body picture of you? 33% is seems WAY high for your height and weight.
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    I will try to get one but I dont have any of me within the last few months. BUT its not really, if I dont have muscles and my frame is small. My body wants to me little I guess but it doesnt want to get that way LOL
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    I will check those today.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time to build muscle, especially for women. Be patient. Follow a progressive HEAVY lifting program, lifting 3 times per week. Increase your protein to 25-35% of total calories by customizing your macros on MFP. Understand that the scale may show a weight increase so focus on your measurements instead. Good luck.
  • zsaoosh
    Options

Based off that I am 25% body fat. But the bod pod says different so now I am confused.
  • byrdamy
    byrdamy Posts: 40
    Options
    What is bod pod? Also from what I was told those calculators are bogus, they are based on calculating height, age, current weight, etc. But a toned 135lb, 5.6, 35 yr old, isn't a flabby 135lb, 5.6, 35 year old. (I am using ficticious #'s) but you get the point.

I was told the only true way to get body fat % is the Dr machine where they shoot electrodes (Sp??) through your body (not painful) to measure fat % compared to lean muscle.

Or a water density test also performed at Dr office.

Google the BMI factor and you will see it was started by insurance companies years ago, as a way to determine if people were at risk for health issues, but it doesn't take into account muscle is heavier than fat.
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    The bod pod uses air compression. Its almost as good as the water test.
  • byrdamy
    byrdamy Posts: 40
    Options
    Is the Bod pod expensive? Does a DR perform, I would love to know mine. I am going to google, you have me curious now. lol!!
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    I dont know how much it is. I am in the military and my HAWK does it for free. It was done by a health and welness physician. I am sure certain doctors and/or gyms have them.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I just googled as I was curious found this on the inaccuracy of them

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=175

ETA http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/how-good-is-the-bod-pod-49
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    It says "Other research has suggested that ADP might overestimate percent body fat by as much as 14% in lean women." But if its better then most other devices, I am pretty much screwed LOL
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    If you only started lifting 2 weeks ago, I highly doubt your body fat % would change THAT much in a 2-week-span. I would think that if you can manage to lose 1% body fat, per month, you are doing pretty darned good.
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    If you only started lifting 2 weeks ago, I highly doubt your body fat % would change THAT much in a 2-week-span. I would think that if you can manage to lose 1% body fat, per month, you are doing pretty darned good.

Wow I really need to proof read before I write. I started lifting over two months ago. It’s been more like 3 actually. Not weeks, sorry!