Already Getting Discouraged

Options
PamL66
PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
I've been at this one week and I'm already discouraged. That ticker at the bottom of my post? It was actually a 2.5 lb loss, but must have been a fluke. I got on the scale at home this morning and my weight was up one pound from that. I decided to check at work (medical scale) and was right back where I started. I've exercised every single day, counted calories, traded soda for water, made better food choices - the whole nine yards. I have no one in my life who remotely understands what I'm trying to do or seems to think it's necessary. My husband actually bought me a king sized Almond Joy the other day. I didn't eat it. I guess I just needed to vent, but if anyone has any advice, I'll take it. Thanks.

Replies

• OdysseyEpiphany
    Options
    I can relate. Sometimes the body can be stubborn, but consistency is really the key. I tend to get discouraged and then backtrack to old habits out of frustration, but if you stick with it, you'll get there :-)
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This happens to me everytime I start a new diet and workout program. It last for 2 to 3 weeks then I start seeing the scale drop. I think it has something to do with your muscles holding on to water to repair themselves when you start. Hang in there. It will happen!

Bobbie
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You just started so don't be too hard are on yourself. And maybe don't weigh yourself as often--stick to your diet and wait a few weeks. If you're making good food choices and exercising you'll start to lose inches perhaps before you lose pounds. I don't have a scale--I've weighed myself three times since I decided I needed to drop some weight (Feb 2012). Just last week I was able to fit into clothes I haven't been able to wear in 3 years (I only had 10-15 lbs to lose) but I don't know how much I weigh--I don't want to get hung up on what the scale says but rather on how my clothes fit. And to be honest, when I look in the mirror, I don't think I look skinnier, but I would have to be because how else am I fitting into the clothes I couldn't wear?! :smile: It's slow going. But you can do it!!:smile:
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    We all feel that way at times. Don't be discouraged. In two weeks I have only lost 1.1 lbs and I was not happy. I am moving forward and hoping for a better week. You can do it, just keep doing what you are doing. You are getting healthier !
  • CeliCasi
    CeliCasi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me I started a week ago and I weighed myself this morning and I haven't lost a pound. Its frustrating but at the same time I do notice small changes in my body and the way my clothes are fitting (and I mean small) but I notice...so dont take it to heart what the scale says as much as what you see in the mirror :o)
  • mumalow
    mumalow Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel the same, I started last week, i walk for 45min on the treadmill everyday, my eating is much better, can't quite get all my calories in but always over on sugar, not added sugar just sugar that comes in EVERYTHING!! I'm actually 2.2lbs heavier than before I started....I've tried weight watchers before and lost 3lbs my first week, I was hoping for the same results or at least a loss, I do find that tracking really helps me choose what NOT to put in my mouth before its too late. Better luck next week!
  • mumalow
    mumalow Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel the same, I started last week, i walk for 45min on the treadmill everyday, my eating is much better, can't quite get all my calories in but always over on sugar, not added sugar just sugar that comes in EVERYTHING!! I'm actually 2.2lbs heavier than before I started....I've tried weight watchers before and lost 3lbs my first week, I was hoping for the same results or at least a loss, I do find that tracking really helps me choose what NOT to put in my mouth before its too late. Better luck next week!:smile:
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    All I can suggest is "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper". Really, have your carbs in the morning and lunch and a light meal and lots of liquids at night. No sense going to bed on most of your calorie intake - may aswell burn it up during the day. If you remember Leslie Kenton, she has a great book called "Lean Revolution" which talks about exactly this. Don't be discouraged - if you can AVERAGE a loss of 1lb a week - that is a lovely steady weight loss - and likely to be permanent.
  • PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your responses! It's nice to know it's not just me and others have had the same experience. I think I do have a problem handling PM cravings. While I can't completely deprive myself (I'm not diabetic, but I do have blood sugar issues) I need to think about what I have for that snack - good carbs vs. bad carbs. I still need to drink more water, too, but that's tough because I teach and can't leave 21 8 year-olds unattended all that often for a bathroom break. I'm hoping that once school's out I'll be able to really up my fitness plan and make more permanent changes in my eating habits. Thanks again for your valuable input!
  • Rugbygurl
    Rugbygurl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Did you measure yourself as well. I lost only 1 kg but had actually lost an inch off my waist and hips which I thought was awesome. Try not to weigh yourself too much, you should just weigh in once a week same time same place. But I think that how you look, feel an the inches you lose are just as important as the weight. Keep up the hard work and it will come, we didn't put this weight on overnight so we won't lose it overnight. Take care and good luck
  • phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. You have to look at this like a lifestyle change. Take it day by day with what you eat but look at results after a month. As everyone says, you don't put on the weight overnight so you shouldn't expect to drop the weight overnight either.

Some of us with a lot to lose drop weight rather quickly at first but it does slow down.

What I've done is change up what I eat but still stay in my calories. I've focused on cutting out sugar as much as I can and that's really helped. I've also purchased a heart rate monitor so I can tell whether I'm burning enough calories.
  • Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been at this one week and I'm already discouraged. That ticker at the bottom of my post? It was actually a 2.5 lb loss, but must have been a fluke. I got on the scale at home this morning and my weight was up one pound from that. I decided to check at work (medical scale) and was right back where I started. I've exercised every single day, counted calories, traded soda for water, made better food choices - the whole nine yards. I have no one in my life who remotely understands what I'm trying to do or seems to think it's necessary. My husband actually bought me a king sized Almond Joy the other day. I didn't eat it. I guess I just needed to vent, but if anyone has any advice, I'll take it. Thanks.

The same exact thing happened to me. And as you can see after one week I lost less than you. I felt I was doing everything right, too. I was obsessed with the scale all week and saw my weight go up 1 down 2 up .5 up 2 down 1 etc. DROVE me CrAzY!! Losing 1lbs. made me even more determined. This time, I am paying attention to carb choices and less attention to the scale. Only weighing in ONE time (weighed the next day after weigh in and was up 1.5lbs arrrg!)

Don't give up...you can do this!!
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options

The same exact thing happened to me. And as you can see after one week I lost less than you. I felt I was doing everything right, too. I was obsessed with the scale all week and saw my weight go up 1 down 2 up .5 up 2 down 1 etc. DROVE me CrAzY!! Losing 1lbs. made me even more determined. This time, I am paying attention to carb choices and less attention to the scale. Only weighing in ONE time (weighed the next day after weigh in and was up 1.5lbs arrrg!)

Don't give up...you can do this!!

You should really only be weighing in about once a week. You weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds on any given day due to water retention and BM's.
  • iggyy
    iggyy Posts: 5
    Options
    I can relate to that! Keep trying.
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said - keep at it. I only weigh myself after I have had 4 good days in a row - usually Thursday or Friday a.m. No clothes, no carbs or sodium the night before. That can make a big difference. I have stayed the same for 3 weeks in a row and then all of sudden drop 2 or 3 lbs for no reason. Keep at it.
  • lostbuthappy
    lostbuthappy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting since January. Restricting calories throughout the week and eating what I want on the weekends. I have not been super strict but I have lost 10lbs. Not much when you consider I started way back in Jan! Anyways, my clothes fit way better. And I know my stomach has shrunk. I fill up much sooner nowadays. Don't think of it so much as a diet but a lifestyle change. You will notice yourself eating less and making better choices.
    After a few months of high stress I have decided to add exercise to my weight loss plan. We will see if that kicks the old metabolism into high gear.
    Just give yourself a break and realize it will take a while to get to where you want to be. You will gain and lose and gain and lose again. don't freak. If you stick with watching what you put into your body you will be healthier and eventually lighter too.