Coconut milk

Options
impyimpyaj
impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
So, I'm fairly certain that my grocery store does not carry coconut milk. But I'll be headed to the next town over in a week or two and they have a couple of larger chain stores, so I thought I'd look for it there. Where is it in the grocery store? Is it with the canned milks? The refrigerated section? Canned goods? Beverages?

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What you need to be looking for is the canned version - that has the highest good fat content...check in the ethnic isle - with the asian food. I always keep a couple of cans on hand. it will be thick - if you put it in the fridge you can then open it and scoop out the solid parts and whip it and use like whipped cream or add to coffee or tea. (I will use the liquid part to add to a smoothie) I use it a lot for a quick curry. You can also get a light version - I will use this on occassion when I am doing a strict program to use in place of coffee creamer because it will stay liquid in the fridge.

There is also coconut milk you can buy in the carton (in the area where they sell the rectangle shelf stable packages) or in the fridge section - that is basically a milk substitute - good for smoothies or things you would put regular milk in. But this doesn't have the higher good fat content the canned stuff has in it.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Thanks so much! :)
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    Get Native Forest brand if you can find it - BPA-free cans!

And yes, it's with the Asian/Indian/Ethnic foods.

Stay away from the carton ones they sell in the milk section!!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Get Native Forest brand if you can find it - BPA-free cans!

And yes, it's with the Asian/Indian/Ethnic foods.

Stay away from the carton ones they sell in the milk section!!

Yeah, I saw the coconut beverage there, but that's not what I want. I want the fatty stuff.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You may also find the Savoy or Gold Star or (the best) Aroy-D Coconut Cream in your local Asian market. Where do you live?
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"local Asian market"

*ahem* We don't have an Asian market. Or a Whole Foods or anything like that. I live in a little tiny town in Nebraska. They think everybody just wants corn and hamburgers around here. :)
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Oooo...I need to check out some of the Asian stores! I didn't even think of that!

Impy...I'm from good ole 'braska! ;)
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I think I might be able to find an Asian market in Sioux City, but we don't get up that way very often and I basically only know where Outback Steakhouse is. :laugh: I'll have to look into it.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think I might be able to find an Asian market in Sioux City, but we don't get up that way very often and I basically only know where Outback Steakhouse is. :laugh: I'll have to look into it.

You could try Amazon. I just read an article that said you can get it for a great price there.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

You could try Amazon. I just read an article that said you can get it for a great price there.

Seriously, that's the third time in a week that somebody's suggested I look for something on Amazon, and it never even occurred to me! I only think of Amazon for Christmas gifts. Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I found some! All I could get was Goya brand, but at least it's something so I can try it and see how I like it. :)
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can also make it yourself quite easily using dried shredded coconut (the unsweetened kind). Recipes are all over online.

I buy it off of Amazon, too... Roland Organic.
  • th301603
    th301603 Posts: 5
    Options
    Does anybody actually just drink the coconut milk? I've never liked cow's milk. I started drinking soy milk in college, but still only in moderation. I'm finding on the whole paleo plan, calcium is the one nutrient I'm just not quite consuming enough of.