well....this is terrifying

Options
HeatherLeahxx
HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
Ok, the thought of upping my calories has terrified me. But only eating 1200 cals a day for the last two months and exercising a looot, and the scale not even budging....seriously it has not moved...i don't even look slimmer so im not even gaining muscle..im going to try something crazy and up my calories.....and if this doesnt work, then at least ill have proved everyone wrong :P ....

my current stats are 125lbs..... 5'8......im not looking to lose weight, get rid of my love handles yes but just mainly want to tone up......would upping my calories do anything for helping me tone up or is it to just lose weight? :noway:

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories will feed your muscles that you're building (and then catabolising (eating themselves)) during your workouts. Thus building muscle and "toning."

So to make a long story short....

Yes.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Ok, the thought of upping my calories has terrified me. But only eating 1200 cals a day for the last two months and exercising a looot, and the scale not even budging....seriously it has not moved...i don't even look slimmer so im not even gaining muscle..im going to try something crazy and up my calories.....and if this doesnt work, then at least ill have proved everyone wrong :P ....

my current stats are 125lbs..... 5'8......im not looking to lose weight, get rid of my love handles yes but just mainly want to tone up......would upping my calories do anything for helping me tone up or is it to just lose weight? :noway:

I just posted about my experience upping calories. I went to 1900 - 2000 calories on May 11th to maintain. If you are affraid to gain weight, you won't as long as you are eating no more than your TDEE. In my case, I thought I was using the right TDEE but I got on the scale yesterday and lost weight (quite a bit actually). So not I am going to try 2100 -2200 and see what happens.
  • HeatherLeahxx
    Options

I just posted about my experience upping calories. I went to 1900 - 2000 calories on May 11th to maintain. If you are affraid to gain weight, you won't as long as you are eating no more than your TDEE. In my case, I thought I was using the right TDEE but I got on the scale yesterday and lost weight (quite a bit actually). So not I am going to try 2100 -2200 and see what happens.

hey thanks for the reply :) do u know any good tdee calculators?

And thanks for the reply also BradTheMedic :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    This is the calculator most of us are using.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Oh you are in such a great place...yes eat your TDEE and lift weights, you will hopefully gain some lean muscle while burning off the fat. Be consistent..if you find that you are losing at TDEE, then up a little. The calculator is an estimate.

Lucia
  • HeatherLeahxx
    Options

Oh you are in such a great place...yes eat your TDEE and lift weights, you will hopefully gain some lean muscle while burning off the fat. Be consistent..if you find that you are losing at TDEE, then up a little. The calculator is an estimate.

Lucia

You want me to eat 1700 calories a day??? :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    <--- eats 2600.
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Probably more I'm 5.2 and 124 and my TDEE is 2060 so as you a bit taller than me I suspect yours will be higher :-) eat at TDEE unless you do want to drop weight (which it doesn't sound like you needto but I know it personal pref) do weights and I'm sure you'll see results
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 115. I am going to attempt to eat 2100 -2200 (probably closer to 2200). Before that I was eating 1900 - 2000 calories and lost weight.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    <
    Also eats 2600. :tongue:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

I would say a lot more than that actually? Right?

Lucia

You want me to eat 1700 calories a day??? :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your TDEE is that low. Mine is about 1800 and I'm 4' 10.5" and 124 lbs.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1700 is enough to maintain.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options

Heather, I feel your pain, same situation here. I do not want to loose more weight, well maybe a bit, but I do want to tone up just like you said you do. Im 22, 5'7 and 132lbs. Eating 1200 cal per day makes me weak, and I exercise 6 days a week, Turbofire, to be exact. Only 3 weeks left to complete the program. Anyways, my TDEE is 2413, and my BMR 1399. Which is frightning, cause it means I should eat twice as much as I am now, but somehow I am terrified that I will gain weight if I eat more. My metabolism is not that productive :/ best of luck to us :)