Anyone use a BMF and a HRM?

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
If so, do you ever check your numbers to see if they are similar for your workouts? I just did and they don't seem to match...shouldn't they be close?

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I do and sometimes they are off on MFP and sometimes its within 10 or so calories. I always go by my HRM (Polar FT4) unless it acts wonky during my workouts.
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have both, and my BMF is definitely lower. I use my BMF for strength and running, and my HRM for things like "Insanity" because it doesn't pick up on the movements as well.

I also have 2 HRMs.. a Polar f4 and a Garmin 410 - my BMF is more similar to the Garmin readings, Polar is higher...it's all confusing!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Can you see how many calories you have burned during a certain period on our BMF?
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Can you see how many calories you have burned during a certain period on our BMF?

Yes, but I'm not sure what to go by...it makes me wonder if my hrm has been off all this time or if the bmf is off. I think I need to just look at is as this - "I DON'T CARE"

As long as I am burning cals and eating under what my BMF says I burn a day, I should be fine, right?

HAHAHAHAHA - if only I could turn my brain off like that! :) LOL
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    How??? How do you find that number??
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    anyone?:flowerforyou:
  • clovr24
    Options

I have the link - not sure if that's what you have..but for me, during a workout I sync it to my phone and then you can go to workouts and start one- it will show steps/calories burned/etc similar to a HRM.

Or, I believe if you go to the activity manager online, you can narrow down a timeframe and it will show the calories burned for that period.
  • clovr24
    Options

Yes, but I'm not sure what to go by...it makes me wonder if my hrm has been off all this time or if the bmf is off. I think I need to just look at is as this - "I DON'T CARE"

As long as I am burning cals and eating under what my BMF says I burn a day, I should be fine, right?

HAHAHAHAHA - if only I could turn my brain off like that! :) LOL

I know exactly what you mean! I am driving myself crazy with all these numbers and questioning which to go by! For now, I'm just relying mostly on the BMF and hopefully I will see something happen...sooon! lol
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use both. I have the garmin F70 and love it because I can import the numbers into the activity manager on BMF website. I go by my HRM during workouts, especially when using the bike or elliptical since the BMF doesn't pick up movement that well.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    So I just locked into some blocks of time when I was working out and the BMF is way off from what my HRM would say. It said I burned 600 calories from 12-1:30 on Tuesday. I teach Combat and CXWORX back to back at that time. Usually my HRM says I burn over 600 doing Combat for the hour (it's very intense) and then 250 or so doing CX. It also said I burned less than 500 during my cycle class (I wore it on my left calf for cycle) when my HRM would always say I burned between 600--700 in the 60 minutes (I'm KILLING it the whole time since I'm teaching AND I'm talking which ups the burn) So which is right???:noway:
  • clovr24
    Options
    So I just locked into some blocks of time when I was working out and the BMF is way off from what my HRM would say. It said I burned 600 calories from 12-1:30 on Tuesday. I teach Combat and CXWORX back to back at that time. Usually my HRM says I burn over 600 doing Combat for the hour (it's very intense) and then 250 or so doing CX. It also said I burned less than 500 during my cycle class (I wore it on my left calf for cycle) when my HRM would always say I burned between 600--700 in the 60 minutes (I'm KILLING it the whole time since I'm teaching AND I'm talking which ups the burn) So which is right???:noway:

Yep..that's the dilemna..I have no idea which to go by. I'm trying to just use the BMF since it should be more accurate..but it is a little disappointing to see lower numbers.

ETA - I think the problem with HRMs is, your heart rate can go up for non-exercise reasons, and it will count it towards burning more calories when you're really not..
  • DoubleE615312
    Options
    This is how I do my daily burns....a friend helped me with it....

it might seem complicated but it works for me!

For example yesterday:
    BMF burn: 2346
    Calories consumed: 1949
    Calories on MFP goal: 1947
    Calories burned per HRM doing C25K W5D3: 231

BMF burn-Calories MFP goal=399
    399-HRM burned=168

I take 168 and add it to my exercise from yesterday (1 minute burning 168 calories per BMF)=399, this makes my green number on MFP=my calorie deficit on my BMF which =347

I hope this makes sense. It keeps my calories deficit on BMF the same with calories remaining on MFP. I don't pay any attention the the net.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This is how I do my daily burns....a friend helped me with it....

it might seem complicated but it works for me!

For example yesterday:
    BMF burn: 2346
    Calories consumed: 1949
    Calories on MFP goal: 1947
    Calories burned per HRM doing C25K W5D3: 231

BMF burn-Calories MFP goal=399
    399-HRM burned=168

I take 168 and add it to my exercise from yesterday (1 minute burning 168 calories per BMF)=399, this makes my green number on MFP=my calorie deficit on my BMF which =347

I hope this makes sense. It keeps my calories deficit on BMF the same with calories remaining on MFP. I don't pay any attention the the net.

I just ordered a HRM because I heard that my BMF is ok for everyday activities, but no so much when trying to get a accurate reading for weightlifting or using my elliptical.

So confusing :huh: as to which one to go by!!!!!!
  • clovr24
    Options

I just ordered a HRM because I heard that my BMF is ok for everyday activities, but no so much when trying to get a accurate reading for weightlifting or using my elliptical.

So confusing :huh: as to which one to go by!!!!!!

and I've stopped using my HRM for weightlifting because I heard it was only accurate for cardio...

it really shouldn't be this complicated! :sick:
  • DoubleE615312
    Options
    That's why I use both. Before my HRM I just use to go by the BMF, but it was almost like it wasn't real time and I know I wasn't getting an accurate reading on the elliptical or bike. My HRM and my BMF are pretty much the same when I do my strength training, regardless if it is lifting with weights or using body weight activities...

I am just a numbers gal, so I like to see everything balanced at the end of the day.
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was wondering whether to get a BMF as my HRM seems to stop now and again if I get really sweaty and move around a lot :( wondering whether its a good idea now :(
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am having this same problem! I just got my HRM and I am loving it so far, but it is WAY off from my BMF. This morning I rode my bike for about 30 minutes with my BMF on my calf and it said 210 and HR 260. Then this afternoon I did 30 minutes on the Arc and then a weightlifting circuit with (2) 5 minute sessions on the stair stepper. For about 70 minutes HR said 500 and BMF closer to 350. I don't know who to believe! I keep my calories set kinda low , 1650, and eat back all my exercise calories but I don't want to overeat if I am not really burning what my HRM says YA KNOW?! All this technology is going to drive me crazy!
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 10 mile run in the morning, I can't wait to see what the difference is for that....
  • PittGatorJD
    Options
    Whether or not a HRM is accurate for your lifting depends on what type of lifting you're doing. If you're doing a circuit style lift and keep an elevated HR, it'll be pretty close. If you aren't, it's probably going to overestimate your calories burned by around 30%.

As far as comparing the reading from your bodymedia to a HRM monitor, the data from the HRM monitor is more accurate for cardio. Bodymedia has commented on this and is in the beta stages of enabling your unit to pull data from any garmin HR monitor to give more accurate readings. Some of you may be able to use the function, some won't...To see if you have access to it go to the Settings tab. If Heart Rate is not an option, you do not have access to this feature yet.