Strength training

Options
imustbegood
imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
I started strength training a few weeks ago - the gym I go to doesn't have an free weights so I have been using the machines - I have over the last few weeks been upping the weights as finding it easier so I'm guessing what I am doing is doing good but don't feel like I have a plan Iykwim - at the moment I am doing 3 sets of 15 reps on each machine - was wondering if anyone out there can help / advise for or point me in the right direction of any good routines for the gym machines and strength training - thanks for any help x

Replies

• imustbegood
    Options
    Forgot to add - They do have kettlebells which I also use ;)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would up the weight and do less reps. I would aim for between 8-12 reps with heavier weight.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would up the weight and do less reps. I would aim for between 8-12 reps with heavier weight.
    That's what I am doing . Trying to reach muscle failure btw. 10 and 12 reps
  • jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can try mixing up your sets and lbs.

Example:

Chest Press
    12 reps at 10lbs rest no more than 1 minute
    10 reps at 15lbs rest no more than 1 minute
    8reps at 20 lbs rest no more than 1 minute
    6 reps at 25lbs rest no more than 1 minute
    12 reps at 15 lbs no rest
    Immediately do 1 more set of another exercise for that muscle group (12 reps 10lbs Chest Fly).

Exercises and lbs are just examples, tailor it to how much you lift.
  • imustbegood
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - really appreciate - have tried to search for info on strength training routines for the gym machines but finding it hard to find any info - if anyone can point me in direction then would be very grateful - ie what machines to do together etc x