Off subject...but need support/advice

Options
txsgirlK
txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
I just found out from the vet that my 8 yr old male cat has diabetes. Anyone else have a pet with this? Looks like it's special food and twice a day insulin shots for now. Good news is this can go into remission with proper diet after about 3-6 mths. I certainly hope so!

Replies

• jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I do have experience with pets and Diabetes. I had a cat with Diagnoised with diabetes when he was 2yrs. old. We had to feed him wet food 2x daily, and give him insulin shots 2x daily. Once he got used the food and shots he was fine. We gave him his shots and fed him roughly the same time each day so he had a pattern and knew the routine. He did great. Unfortunatley he passed on about a year ago, MISS HIM DEARLY :( But he was with us a good 14 years.
    There is hope, your pet can live a good life even with the shots and special food.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Aww, poor kitty.

I've never had a cat with diabetes, but I did frequently cat-sit for one who did. She was fine, acted at perfectly normal energy levels, etc. I had to give her pills every morning and night, and she only got about 1/2cup of special food a day.... but she was SERIOUSLY obese, she was enormous. I took care of her on and off for about 3 years, and she was about 10 or so and going strong when I stopped (because I moved, not because she passed away!!)

I'm sure with the right diet & meds everything is fine. Still stinks, but maybe it can even be reversed :) Don't stress too much.