when you slip on low carb do you feel funny the next day?

Options
skinnyeascolady
skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
Hey everyone I have a little question. All my meals during the day have not gone over 25 carb grams each day for 6 weeks I average about 50-60 net carb grams a day. Last nigt I had pizza for the first time in months. Today I feel so off. Cranky and just not myself. I am wondering if it is a sugar thing happening from the white flour in the pizza curst. I have had no bread, pasta, potato or rice in over six weeks. Everything I have had has been veggies and protein. Doing South beach but phase 2 not 1.Could it be a sugar thing? Man I feel so off today!

Replies

• jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I feel off right after I eat something high carb, esp. if it is sugary. I'm on SB phase 2.
  • skinnyeascolady
    Options
    Bear in mind I add this meal at 9pm last night because we got home very late. I just didn't care at that point. I ate and went to bed. Today I just feel so off. light headed, dizzy, dull feeling that type of thing.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yes! I feel dizzy, light headed, and my stomach is achy.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    The worst part isn't the carb hangover the next day... but the cravings come back for me :grumble:
  • skinnyeascolady
    Options
    I never before relized until now I was so senitive to carbs. I know about Pasta for a long time. Where I would look at it and gain weight. No wonder I have not been well feeling for so long. I feel better eating low carb. I will have to figure out what foods are reactive and which are not so much.

I am now going to do phase 1 of south beach this monday coming. Wow I think when I get back to phase 2 I will be adding stuff back very very slowly instead of one new thing a day. I will wait to see how I react to each indiviual item.

Thanks I knew there had to be a connection. Just didn't realize how strong an impact carbs made for me.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No--I don't. The only problem I have is when I go too low like 20g I can't exercise as much as when I add a few carbs. Yesterday was a real high carb day because I was out to a luncheon. Feel more energy today if anything. Maybe it is the type of carbs (sugar--junk food--processed food etc) that makes a difference.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    For me it's not the fact that it's a carb that would effect me, it's that there is gluten in the pizza crust. Too many refined carbs I get jittery, shaky and ravenously hungry. When I'm glutened I get brain fog, nauseated, achy muscles, can't concentrate, sinus headache and a whole lot of fatigue. That's why low carb works well for me, it cuts out two issues in one. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm funny every day of the week.

And currently available for weddings and bah mitzvahs.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the type of carbs (sugar--junk food--processed food etc) that makes a difference.

Yes you have the bad types of carbohydrates such as candy, junk food, cakes/cookies, baked goods. bleached-processed flours, the majority of pasta, the majority of rice, corn, white family of potatoes - these cause the body to dump buckets and buckets of insulin to try to rid the body of these molecules. If you pair that up with a person whose body has non-receptive cells to appropriately work with the insulin and incapable of sending impulses to the brain to stop the insulin-dumping, then there is trouble.

The good types of carbohydrates exist only in fresh foods: vegetables, small limited list of fruits, some whole grains.

Even with a modified intake, the healthy grains are still those types of foods that need to be limited because their carbohydrate counts per serving, are still high.

1oz of Hodgson Mills Whole Wheat Couscous - dry still contains a WHOPPING 23.4g of carbohydrates!!!! http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-couscous-whole-wheat-dry_f-ZmlkPTE4Mjk3Mg.html

2oz dry serving of Barilla whole grain thin spaghetti is just as guilty as couscous - WHOPPING 41g of carbohydrates!!!!
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-pasta-spaghetti-macaroni-whole-grain-spaghetti-thin-dry_f-ZmlkPTE3ODkxMA.html

So if you are watching your total daily intake of carbohydrates, this can add up real fast.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    For me it's not the fact that it's a carb that would effect me, it's that there is gluten in the pizza crust. Too many refined carbs I get jittery, shaky and ravenously hungry. When I'm glutened I get brain fog, nauseated, achy muscles, can't concentrate, sinus headache and a whole lot of fatigue. That's why low carb works well for me, it cuts out two issues in one. :)

^This. It's how I figured out I'm gluten-sensitive. And I just thought I had a bad digestive system all these years! :laugh: I get most of what she described (fatigue/general laziness, brain fog for DAYS!), plus tummy issues if I'm glutened. :grumble:
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have done that but I get it not to long after I eat it even. Helps me to stay LC. I hate that sickly icky feeling and then I get sweaty sometimes too. Like I am going to get really sick but I maintain...
    Screws up my whole system. I still 'cheat' here and there but am learning to pick and choose how and how much I do it carefully. I try to stay very LC before and after.. sometimes it helps but not always. Carbs are no longer my friend so I am doing my best to avoid them as much as I can. I still have 25-30 pounds to lose. I know I will have to readjust once I reach my goal though.