Work Snacks & Work Lunches

Options
cdngrl81
cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
Can anyone help me with some ideas for snacks & lunches at work? I have been eating fruit/veggies and hardboiled eggs, but I swear I will throw the next hardboiled egg I see against the wall (way too many over the last 30 + days). I am usually pretty hungry when I leave work and I am trying to find something that will tide me over til dinner.

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky

And these bars are very Paleo: http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/main.cvw
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Tuna, carrots and guacamole have been my lunches lately. I don't like mayo anyway, so I just add random spices (paprika, garlic powder, oregano and dill today) and mix it together. The guac is the Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs. I made pancakes the other night and reheated them yesterday for a snack (almond flour pumpkin pancakes). I reheat dinners a lot too. Apples and sunbutter are an obsession of mine also.

Edited: Lara bars are good too. And I pack 1 oz/nuts per day, dried fruit for the fiancé and frozen broccoli for me.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I usually bring either homemade beef jerky or a good trail mix for my snacks at work. Veggies & a dip also works, I like the "Sunshine sauce" by Mel @ The Clothes Make the Girl (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/ ). I'm a dork and usually have a few cans of tuna and a little container of mustard in my drawer at work for emergencies too!

For lunch, quite honestly I usually just make twice as much as I need for supper and then bring the leftovers. If I'm forced to buy lunch at work due to poor planning, I generally stick with grilled chicken, veggies and a salad, which I can get pretty much anywheres. I ask for no cheese and I don't fret over whatever dressing it comes with, though I will ask for a vinegarette typically.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the hard boiled eggs!! :)

I usually bake about 4-5 boneless/skinless chicken breasts on Sunday (with different spices depending on what I want), and then just take/reheat and eat with some veggies for lunch.

The Wholly Guac is good too, and I also usually make twice as much dinner for my husband and I so that we can both take something that tastes good/is good for us to work the next day.

I also like the Laughing Cow swiss cheese wedges - I spread them on sliced peppers or celery.

Snacks are usually nuts - almonds, pumpkin seeds (our current favorite), and some trail mix (either homeade or from Trader Joe's - they have a pretty good selection).

Good luck!
    Jane
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have looked for Wholly Guacamole in my store. Where do you guys purchase it? What store and isle?
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have looked for Wholly Guacamole in my store. Where do you guys purchase it? What store and isle?

For me (at my chain grocery store in Cleveland) it's in the produce section, buy the vegetable dips (like Marzetti) and the less-chemicalized dressings that have to be refrigerated. It's nice because now it comes in 2 100-cal packs in each box, so I usually buy them when they're on sale and throw the extras in the freezer.

--Jane
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Costco for Wholly Guacamole :) They have huge boxes of the 100 calorie packs.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Safeway had Wholly Guac near the mexican cheeses and refridgerated pastas.
  • jackalope37
    Options
    I usually slice up chicken breast, add some spices, and bring that into work. Then I pop one of those 'steams in the bags' frozen bags of veggies, and that's lunch.

For breakfast, I have a stash of frozen egg cupcakes in the freezer, and occasionally have one if I need a late day snack.

Today I picked up some trail mix and beef jerky.

But yes, oh my - I would throw the hardboiled eggs if I ate one every day for 30 days too!
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's possible that what you currently eat isn't giving you enough fat to trigger the fullness feeling. You might want to consider ways of adding more of that.

If leftovers, or a microwave aren't an option...

There's a lot sandwich alternatives you could try - Use cucumber slices instead of bread and top with chicken or tuna salad. Lettuce wraps w/ turkey, ham or roast beef. Open Nature is a brand I see at several chain grocery stores that are nitrate-free.

I bring a lot of salads to work with either chicken, shrimp or crab as a protein source and several veggies.

Guac and veggies, celery & almond butter, nuts or fruits are my go-to options to help round out a meal.

If cheese is part of your "ok" list, what about toothpick spears of grape tomatoes, mozzarella and basil (drizzled w/ olive oil)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I hate, hate, hate Walmart - but I do venture in there every few weeks because they have thier house brand of guacamole in 100 calorie packs (6/box for under $4)...there is no difference between that and the Wholly Guacamole - same packaging and everything...ours is in the produce section...usually with the fridge dressings and things like fruit dip...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    snack ideas

nuts - I usually have a mix of pecans and almonds

Guacmole with assorted veggies to dip (carrots, red pepper strips, cucumbers)

jerky - watch labels if you buy it inthe store - many have added perservatives and are loaded with sodium...easy enough to make your own

pork rinds - like jerky - check the label - I love Carolina Country Snacks (ingrediants pork rinds and salt - fried in lard)

tuna - single serve packs...mix with some homemade mayo or guacamole

fruit - lower sugar/carb berries - strawberries, blue berries, cherries