No step for step-up!

Options
Hello!

I just started NROL4W and it went well (today was my first day of stage one!). Unfortunately I couldn't complete it as recommended because I couldn't do the step up. Why, you ask? Because my building's gym has no steps! None, zip, nada. The only things it has is those half-balls (you know the ones with the flat bottom and round top that you stand on for stability). Otherwise I could have stood on the edge of a (non-moving) treadmill but that wouldn't work. I searched high and low, and there are also no stairs anywhere nearby.

What do you guys recommend as an alternative for a step-up in this section? Something like a pistol squat or something maybe? Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I just started NROL4W and it went well (today was my first day of stage one!). Unfortunately I couldn't complete it as recommended because I couldn't do the step up. Why, you ask? Because my building's gym has no steps! None, zip, nada. The only things it has is those half-balls (you know the ones with the flat bottom and round top that you stand on for stability). Otherwise I could have stood on the edge of a (non-moving) treadmill but that wouldn't work. I searched high and low, and there are also no stairs anywhere nearby.

What do you guys recommend as an alternative for a step-up in this section? Something like a pistol squat or something maybe? Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice?

There is nothing you can step up on that is stable there? Do they have the step thingy for the step aerobics class? I think I read on here someone using the benches to do their step ups.

I used some weird thing attached to the machine to do my step ups the first time. It was behind a bench press machine.But because I need the Swiss ball I just take my dumbbells with me into another room with my Swiss ball set up the steps with those aerobic things and do it there.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could use a weight bench? It may be a bit high, but if you start with body weight it'll probably be fine.
  • andreabrightside
    Options

There is nothing you can step up on that is stable there? Do they have the step thingy for the step aerobics class? I think I read on here someone using the benches to do their step ups.

I used some weird thing attached to the machine to do my step ups the first time. It was behind a bench press machine.But because I need the Swiss ball I just take my dumbbells with me into another room with my Swiss ball set up the steps with those aerobic things and do it there.

No, there's nothing for step aerobics or anything :(
    Maybe you could use a weight bench? It may be a bit high, but if you start with body weight it'll probably be fine.

My problem with that would be that I'd probably be using momentum to get me up instead of my muscles. I'm only 5'3 and the benches are just a little lower than knee height. Plus they're padded and they seem like they'd tip over if I didn't balance correctly (I have really bad balance)
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I just did lunges instead. So I had lunges in both workouts. Now in Stage 2 I do my step ups on the weight bench (my height is 5'5). I use a little less weight than in my lunges but it works.
  • Fairieluv77
    Options
    I've actually been using the BOSU ball (half ball). I have one at home but no step. I figured it be working my legs just a little more but would be ok. So far I haven't had any issues.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Tell the gym to get one, at least the aerobic steps. You are paying to go there, and a place to do step ups is a pretty basic piece of equipment.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm using bench - the one to do crunches
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    How high is the bench on, say, the row pulley?? (Should be lower than the bench on, say, the bench press.) I would try that.

Otherwise, are you *sure* the bench height, from the bench press is too high for you? (Meaning, when you step on it, is your knee NOT at a 90 degree angle?) If you are "sure" it is too high for you, I would do step-ups at home, using your stairs, or other sturdy home bench.

It is *more* important to get the form down, with a HIGH-enough bench, than to up your weights. And, I think it is *more* important to get your balance down (on a bench press bench, for example) than to go up in your weights.
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    I've actually been using the BOSU ball (half ball). I have one at home but no step. I figured it be working my legs just a little more but would be ok. So far I haven't had any issues.

I'll try that next time and see what happens. Hopefully me falling off of it doesn't happen ;)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You can start with both feet on the bench-like bench for bench press or any other bench. Start with both feet up and lower slowly one leg down to barely touching the flour, do all the reps. on one side and switch.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I use a bench for my step ups. I'm also 5'3", just find the lowest bench in your gym. I've found the need to think about balancing really helps with my focus in the gym.
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you not supposed to step on the floor when you are doing step ups? Like your non dominant leg isnt supposed to touich the floor???