AWESOME stuff you see at the gym

Options

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Remember the guy that busted out really fast Smith machine squats a few days ago?

Today, he used the squat cage, sort of.

He moved the j-hooks outside the cage, did some warm ups with just the bar, loaded on some weight and preceded to do about a half-squat.

He moved a bench behind him, so maybe he was going to progress the weight up and do bench/box squats, but his @ss was a good 6 inches above the bench, so I don't know.

I was done, so didn't stick around to watch any more.

Thing is, my gym has the cage and also two half racks.

I would think, if you didn't want to go inside the cage, you'd use the half-racks (which were open) instead of the cage.

I mean, why use the cage if you aren't really using the cage? (Serious question; am I missing something?)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I mean, why use the cage if you aren't really using the cage? (Serious question; am I missing something?)

because you don't' know what the hell the cage is for? Or because you're doing something stupid like ultra heavy shrugs and you can't just deadlift the amount up to shrug it so you have to have it racked in a certain place. (Because you're weak but you're doing shrugs anyway)

I don't know why else - actually sometimes we use the cage instead of the half rack because the rack is occupied but I'm assuming that wasn't the case here. (we almost ALWAYS end up doing it because there are 2 cages and one rack)
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    He uses it to pad the bar (its a pretty thick one and its folded so the hood adds an extra 2 layers) so he doesn't TECHNICALLY use the pad but he might as well be.

And then of course he does quarter squats. But its pretty funny and clever - he's not using the pad, he's just, you know, got cold shoulders. All the time.

Is it unmanly to use a barbell pad?
  • ishtar13
    Options
    He uses it to pad the bar (its a pretty thick one and its folded so the hood adds an extra 2 layers) so he doesn't TECHNICALLY use the pad but he might as well be.

And then of course he does quarter squats. But its pretty funny and clever - he's not using the pad, he's just, you know, got cold shoulders. All the time.

on more man-oriented sites I've seen it called a p*ssy (like cat) pad; does that answer the question?
  • tameko2
    Options

on more man-oriented sites I've seen it called a p*ssy (like cat) pad; does that answer the question?

Yeah in the BB circles it is not spoken highly of, but more importantly it changes the center of gravity a bit by shifting the bar an extra inch or two off your shoulders and its not as stable, so you're making it unnecessarily harder on yourself by doing that, and if you're doing it to prevent the bar from hurting your back you're either not holding it properly or you need to build your traps up a bit (if the latter, you can do low back squats until you build up your traps enough to do high back - if you don't want to do high back then low back makes it very easy to keep the bar from bruising you)
  • tameko2
    Options
    oohhh speaking of bruising I once saw someone doing jump squats wiht the barbell. it seemed like a really bad idea.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten about this one...

A bro went and racked up a bar quite heavy in the bench press area. He laid down on the bench and then put a couple folded up yoga mats on his chest. He then took the bar and began to bounce it on his chest.

That was the work out. He put the bar back, did not do a single press, but did do several more "sets" of the bounce.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten about this one...

A bro went and racked up a bar quite heavy in the bench press area. He laid down on the bench and then put a couple folded up yoga mats on his chest. He then took the bar and began to bounce it on his chest.

That was the work out. He put the bar back, did not do a single press, but did do several more "sets" of the bounce.

OMG. That sounds so freaking dangerous.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options

because you don't' know what the hell the cage is for? Or because you're doing something stupid like ultra heavy shrugs and you can't just deadlift the amount up to shrug it so you have to have it racked in a certain place. (Because you're weak but you're doing shrugs anyway)

I don't know why else - actually sometimes we use the cage instead of the half rack because the rack is occupied but I'm assuming that wasn't the case here. (we almost ALWAYS end up doing it because there are 2 cages and one rack)

from what I've read on other MFP SL threads, it is a THING ppl do, either because they're to lazy to move the bench out of the cage or they're just effin inconsiderate. i.e. people sitting on the bench in the cage doing curls! That would piss me off!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    oohhh speaking of bruising I once saw someone doing jump squats wiht the barbell. it seemed like a really bad idea.

omg. this is just ridiculous.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    There is a guy who is in my gym every single time I'm there (I'm there 6 days a week) for the last 3 years. He is a skinny little thing, wears a woven choker. Does hours and hours of isolate-type exercises. Some of them are so obscure you can barely detect any movement on his part. Never ever does any compound lifts.

I often wonder what he thinks he's accomplishing....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I didnt 'actually' see it, but a couple of weeks ago there was a full on fight in my gym over a fan!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I didnt 'actually' see it, but a couple of weeks ago there was a full on fight in my gym over a fan!

:laugh: As someone that sweats profusely (as in, "Why did that red-face girl jump in the pool with all of her clothes on"), I've often thought of taking people out over a fan.
  • gigishiree
    gigishiree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I once saw a guy running backwards on a treadmill. all eyes were glued to him ....just waiting. he fell like 5 times before the attendant asked him to leave. lol. i think we were all trying to figure out just what it was he was trying to achieve. idk.

oh and he had on rediculous knee socks. like with who does that?
  • gigishiree
    gigishiree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also once saw a guy doing these stupid looking karate moves ........while holding heavy barbells! Then one slipped and flew across the room. Such a freaking retard.

PS
    This didnt happen at the gym

PPS
    Im ashamed to say it happend at home and he was my weirdo ex bf. Real keeper, that one.
  • mandasimba
    Options
    I've more than a haldful of times, people using the assisted pull up machine for a leg worout. I go to a Lifetime, so it is a large gym with plenty of equipment so it isn't like they are lacking something.

http://deadsimplediet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Assisted-Pull-Up-Machine.jpg

They put one foot on the top step, the other foot on the assisting part and push down, over and over...
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    oohhh speaking of bruising I once saw someone doing jump squats with the barbell. it seemed like a really bad idea.

This is a legitimate exercise. It has been in a few workout programs I've used. As long as the barbell is in the low position, it really isn't particularly dangerous. The bar shouldn't be rising up and slamming back down as you land. I have seen others do it and it does seem scary, but when I tried it, I found it wasn't very scary, or painful, or dangerous at all. But one should still have lifting experience and exercise care.
  • mandasimba
    Options
    This isn't an oddball thing, but in fact an AWESOME thing I saw at the gym. I saw a early 20s kid with, what I'd call the college basketball physique - fit, but still kind of skinny, nothing buldging. He had, from what I could tell (didn't have contacts or glasses on, but my eyes aren't that bad) about 430 on a bar. Deadlifted it. I thought he was going to leave his rectum behind on the floor, but he got it up, and great form.
  • ishtar13
    Options
    This isn't an oddball thing, but in fact an AWESOME thing I saw at the gym. I saw a early 20s kid with, what I'd call the college basketball physique - fit, but still kind of skinny, nothing buldging. He had, from what I could tell (didn't have contacts or glasses on, but my eyes aren't that bad) about 430 on a bar. Deadlifted it. I thought he was going to leave his rectum behind on the floor, but he got it up, and great form.

That is completely awesome!
  • tameko2
    Options
    oohhh speaking of bruising I once saw someone doing jump squats with the barbell. it seemed like a really bad idea.

This is a legitimate exercise. It has been in a few workout programs I've used. As long as the barbell is in the low position, it really isn't particularly dangerous. The bar shouldn't be rising up and slamming back down as you land. I have seen others do it and it does seem scary, but when I tried it, I found it wasn't very scary, or painful, or dangerous at all. But one should still have lifting experience and exercise care.

They were NOT doing it right, and I think one of the problems with people reading about this kind of exercise (ok, lets be honest here, this is mostly a guy problem) is that they will just charge in and grit their teeth through the bouncing bar instead of thinking "am I doing something wrong? Should this HURT?"