Should everyone start this journey with a Reset?

Options
Morgandobes
Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
Hi guys -
Have a question for those of you with more knowledge than myself on the metabolic issue.
Do you think everyone should start with a Metabolic reset before starting to cut?
I havent been dieting for quite a while, just helplessly watching the scale go up, up, up.

Do you think I should start with cutting? I have been for about 30 days now.

Thanks,
Lisa

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can benefit from a reset.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can benefit from doing a reset, and it is never a bad idea.

However, I don't think some people understand how mentally and physically challenging a reset really is, and some people jump into it blindly. Knowledge is power, and it is very important to understand what exactly you are signing up for.

As far as it being absolutely necessary, I think it depends on the "dieting history" of the individual. Those who have never eaten super low calorie probably don't need a reset, although they do need frequent diet breaks (eating at TDEE for about one week out of every 4-6 weeks of eating at TDEE -15%). Those who have followed a very low calorie diet for 6 months or more should absolutely consider following a reset.

Some good reading:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had a difficult enough time doing EM2WL to begin with. A reset I think would have been too mentally demanding for me personally - and I know a lot of others who start the journey.

If you think you can do it, by all means go for it.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can benefit from doing a reset, and it is never a bad idea.

However, I don't think some people understand how mentally and physically challenging a reset really is, and some people jump into it blindly. Knowledge is power, and it is very important to understand what exactly you are signing up for.

As far as it being absolutely necessary, I think it depends on the "dieting history" of the individual. Those who have never eaten super low calorie probably don't need a reset, although they do need frequent diet breaks (eating at TDEE for about one week out of every 4-6 weeks of eating at TDEE -15%). Those who have followed a very low calorie diet for 6 months or more should absolutely consider following a reset.

Some good reading:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan

This is a great response, and remember you can always work up to a reset if you aren't ready for it. It might take you longer to see results, but if starting with a reset is too much to handle, just start with TDEE - 15% for a few weeks before moving to a reset. You might even see some results at tdee -15% before stalling out and needing to do the reset...or you might not.

But, I too agree that you can't ever go wrong with a full reset...it just gets things started on the right foot.
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a reset, and the reason for that is:
    1. i have not attempted to diet for over 3 years
    2. i worked out that i was eating to my TDEE for the last 3 years
    3. i gained the 30lbs I'm trying to get rid off 3+ years ago and have maintained it within 2lbs variance since then.

I also checked with Harlamjen & Lucia about what i should do and i went straight into my cut

So i think if your not sure, speak to some of the experienced members and be honest with your history, they will help guide you
  • Morgandobes
    Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the well-thought replies

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Lisa