Working out on empty stomach?

Options
mcmom0725
mcmom0725 Posts: 53 Member
Hi all - I am starting week 6 - I wake up at 4:30am to exercise because if I leave it until the end of the day I tend to find reasons not to. I don't eat anything before I work out. Anyone else doing this? Am I just burning muscle?? Just can't imagine eating and then doing br!

Replies

• Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I always workout on an empty stomach because otherwise I feel like I'm going to throw up. My smaller waist and new biceps tell me I'm burning fat, not muscle :drinker:
  • mcmom0725
    Options
    Good point!!! Thank you!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Cardio on an empty stomach is fine, but you really shouldn't strength train on an empty stomach. At least have a half glass of orange juice or a few grapes, spoonful of applesauce or something along that line.
  • pashalia
    pashalia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cardio on an empty stomach is fine, but you really shouldn't strength train on an empty stomach. At least have a half glass of orange juice or a few grapes, spoonful of applesauce or something along that line.

I ll agree , don't do strength with an empty stomach. I wake up also on the morning for my exercise, I have an orange juice and then I start....
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 am also. I do the BR workout and do not eat first (otherwise it would alllllll come back up!). I do drink water during and after the workout out (16 oz). I take a shower and then eat breakfast. Haven't had any issues and have been doing this for 10 weeks now. In the afternoon I have some snacks at work and then when I get home I walk/jog on the treadmill. Again, I drink water throughout and after. I have a snack after that workout. This will all normalize though in a few weeks when I'm off for the summer and don't have to get up so early! Then it will be breakfast and then the workout! :)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Well if its working for you, than keep pushing forward. But with strength training your sets have to be strong, so if you feel like you don't have enough energy to push through, at least have a glass of juice before you start.
  • mcmom0725
    Options
    Thanks all! Actually orange juice sounds like something I can do and will try that tomorrow morning! Working too hard to get stronger don't want to lose what I am working for. Thanks again for great advice! Good luck to all!!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • Jennifer_lynn85
    Options
    for the first 2 weeks it was okay for me to not eat anything before hand but when I did workout 3 I didn't eat and I was so extremely weak from it. So now I eat something REALLY light, maybe a yogurt or a granola thin and wait 30mins before doing the exercise! If its working for you keep it up but I would try something little!!
  • aprrae
    aprrae Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts at 6:00am and don't eat before them. I was thinking about your question today as I did Cardio 2, and I'm not sure that I could eat anything without feeling it during the workout.
  • allibean15
    allibean15 Posts: 28
    Options
    I thought about the same thing. I work out usually at five am when I can get up :) and I dont eat either. I dont notice any weakness but I am usually starving right after but dont have time to eat until I get to work about an hour later! I was thinking of having a little peanut butter before but I like the OJ idea too.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast before a workout makes me feel pukey and when I have a "little something" before a workout, all it does is start up my metabolism and I end up feeling hungry and weak during my workout. An empty stomach works best for me.

Everyone is different. Try each way and see what works for you.
  • mcmom0725
    Options
    Haven't tried OJ before will be doing that tomorrow before strength workout. Definately could never eat before Cardio 2 (feel like I could throwup stuff I ate three days ago the first few times I did it lol) I actually heard Jillian say something funny for first time today during cardio 2 - guess I am not sucking wind as much any more! yayyyy! Gotta love it!!