How do you get out of bed in the morning?

StephieWillcox
StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
Because of the stresses of life the only time I can find to workout is first thing in the morning, before work.

In order to do this I need to get up around 6:15 (which I know is not that early) but I just CANT do it. Every single morning I talk myself out of getting out of bed!!!!

Does anyone have any tips for getting myself up?

P.s I used to have an awful commute and had to get up at 5:15, which I managed because I knew I HAD to get up then, so I know I need to change my morning workout into a major priority but I just don't know how to do this!!

X

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    It all comes down to the first time. As soon as you do it once every subsequent time becomes easier.
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Honestly, I had to give up on the getting up early to exercise. I just couldn't get up early enough each morning or didn't want to get up. I totally understand where you're comoing from.

I made up my mind to exercise and changed it to everyday, but no specific time. I work full time and have the weekends off. So, I exercise immediately after work. My husband thankfully joins me and we walk, hike or bike when we both get home. Before dinner, before turning on computers, etc. We just do it. (Sounds like a Nike commercial) hahaha

It's become our routine now and much easier. The weekends we go in the mornings to avoid the heat and make it an adventure with a different hiking trail, etc.

It sounds like you have the mindset to exercise, you just have to pick the right time and what works for your schedule. GOOD LUCK! You can do it!!
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Have a baby...it's the only way I have accomplished this. He wakes up at 6 every morning. :) Of course that presents a whole host of other issues, like finding childcare while you go to the gym.

Seriously though, I agree with the previous poster that it just has to become a habit. It may take a couple of weeks of forcing yourself, but I bet you'll get used to it sooner than you think.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    I get up at 0330 to work out before I go to work. I have a 35 min commute each way on a good day, so I KNOW that after work I will not hit the gym. It is pretty much a mindset that you have to get into. I go to bed earlier than most everyone I know just so I can get up that early and still be able to perform my job duties all day. I get up, get my preworkout drink down and in 20 min I am out the door to the gym. The alarm is across the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off and at that point I might as well stay up and be productive.

You just have to find the time that works best for you and your schedule. Early in the morning is best for me.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Oh god, 3;30 in the morning, you are awesome.

I have tried getting my workout in when I get home from work, but then I'm rushing to finish so I can start on dinner/ clean up/ get out the house in order to get where I need to be.

Realistically the only time I can be consistent is first thing. I think moving my alarm clock might help me though, at least that way I am out of bed and standing up. I will try this week to get up and workout. I know that once I know I HAVE to get up then I will do, it's just pushing through!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 556 Member
    I think it's one of those things that you just have to MAKE yourself do, too. I get up at 5:30 most mornings. It's still hard 3 months later, and I almost talk myself out of it every morning, but then I feel guilty and get up...lol. I make sure to schedule my non workout days on non work days, so I get to be really lazy and sleep in. It feels soooo good!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    When I used to get up in a.m. to work out I did have my alarm placed where I had to get up a bit to turn it off. Then I had all my stuff ready to just grab and go. I would just do it and not think. I didn't usually eat before hand back then but if I did, then I would've had to eat something small then make sure I had at least a half hour for it to settle.

Then the next mornings would get easier once I seen I could do it and all the other positives. It woke me up for the day, I felt awesome knowing my run was out of the way for the day, I was done! Now my husband leaves for work by 5am and theres no reason for me to be up that early and I can't get into bed early enough the night before due to my youngest so I run after dinner when my husband gets home. My almost 3 year old insists on coming with me on my runs but the older two stay home with Dad. I do lift in the morns 3 days a week but thats in my home and only about 30 min so I can easily fit that in with out having to wake up earlier.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    I guess you just have to do what works for you, I am a morning person but I start work at 7.30 and don't want to be getting up at 5 or earlier to exercise : (

I also am shattered by the end of the day but I find working out gives me more energy (eating more has also made a massive difference!!)

My home workouts are intense but short, and my longer cardio I go to zumba so I am in a routine of going 1-2 evenings a week for that.

Would shorter workouts help? you'd have longer in bed or would take less time after work.
  • katnohat
    katnohat Posts: 43 Member
    If it's really difficult to get up that early, I would recommend waking up 15 minutes earlier every day until you reached 6:15 so that your body has time to get used to a new sleep schedule. Once your body is used to it, it should be just like getting up at your normal time. Just make sure to go to bed early enough! :]
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    I just started working out in the mornings just this week. So far, made it to both scheduled 530 workouts.

I hear the alarm and just plant my feet on the ground. No snoozing, just do it. I also make sure I have all my workout clothes laid out the night before so I can just get up, wash up and stumble out the door.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I get up at 4:50. It involves one regular alarm clock, one cell phone alarm that makes me do math to snooze it, one daylight simulator, and one small chihuahua who touches me with his cold nose if I don't silence the alarm quick enough for his liking.
    I've also gotten into the habit of playing music that really pumps me up the minute I begin to wake up - you know that song that makes you feel like you could kick everybody's *kitten* and like it? That's the song you want!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Because of the stresses of life the only time I can find to workout is first thing in the morning, before work.

In order to do this I need to get up around 6:15 (which I know is not that early) but I just CANT do it. Every single morning I talk myself out of getting out of bed!!!!

Does anyone have any tips for getting myself up?

P.s I used to have an awful commute and had to get up at 5:15, which I managed because I knew I HAD to get up then, so I know I need to change my morning workout into a major priority but I just don't know how to do this!!

X

I've really been making sleep a priority. I've NEVER been able to work out in the morning successfully for any length of time EVER in my life! I'd make it for a week or two and then just crash. When I started getting healthy in February I did everything in the evenings. But things are different now. I have two kiddos. As a result of my working out in the evenings, dinner was late, bedtime was late, bedtime stories gone because there wasn't time. So for me it came down to a decision because I was missing out on things I wanted for my evening. I now run in the mornings.

Your reasons are different than mine, but if there's any way you can remember while groggy in the morning what it is you want out of your workouts and your evenings and keep that in mind. Also, this is just not possible, in my opinion anyways, unless you make going to bed earlier a priority. I go to bed most days between 8:00 and 9:00pm now - super early. But my training is very important to me and my evening time with my kids even more so. So I'm making it work.

You can do this!! Move the alarm, change things around, do whatever you have to. You can make this work!!!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    I workout in the morning and I commute to work 50 minutes daily! I have my workout clothes ready, what I am wearing to work ready and I have my lunch ready! Its all about planning and taking away the stresses and excuses in the morning! I also set my alarm and move it on the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off! You can do it!!. Try it!