Dancing, gardening and jacob's ladder

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
These are things I've seen come up as 'substitute' activities talked about in various places.

If zumba etc are going in 'gymnastics', might dancing fit there too?

Jacob's ladder - would that maybe fit in running?

Gardening, I can't think of a place for at all.

Are these activities that might be included, or not? (These aren't for me btw!!)

Replies

• lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I actually sent the question about Jacob's Ladder to the Host... that thing is a beast, I hear, so I am kinda curious to see where it may fit. Since I will be doing some traveling coming up - I am looking at if I can do a day pass at some of those local gyms. If there is a Jacob's Ladder - I'm gonna try it... been hearing so much about it and really would like to see what it's all about! :)

I am actually wondering what types of substitutes could fit for Wrestling... I'm not sure that any of us are going to be doing competitive wrestling, especially for 30 minutes... BUT... I want to see what events I can get in... Guessing I might, with work, find a way to get to 20 events, but... I just don't know that I can actually get 30 in because of availability for me. So, thought if something fits in that category... well, maybe I could get "wrestling" as a sport! Ha! The pure thought of that makes me laugh... loud!! :)
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    lol I was wondering about some clarifications for things too...I would bet dance would count as gymnastics, or I would think it would anyways, but i'm not the organizer lol. gardening i'm not sure...I was wondering if other previous olympic sports could be added too (like softball/baseball...ugh that was my favorite event!!!!) I'm starting a league in a couple of weeks so that would be awesome lol! Also, I know it's mentioned as just ice or roller, but field hockey counts as hockey as well I'd assume? (Since that's actually the 'hockey' in the summer olympics lol!)

Ohh and also what about street hockey? Golf fit in anywhere? lol
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Just want to emphasize again... I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE!!

So, I am not really advocating for adding any new sports or that type of thing... because, it's already created and looks like a heck of a lot of work... I am just wondering about if there are other things that fit into some of the categories is all.

LOVE THE CHALLENGE... Don't want any of my questions interpreted as not liking it or complaining!
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey guys -- glad you're liking the challenge! I don't mind clarifying a few things....and we can put to a vote if people disagree, but I think Zumba or other dancing can fall under Aerobics. And field hockey definitely counts for hockey. Everything else though is hard to place. Golf, if you walk the course (no cart), I suppose can count for Athletics (if there is no beer involved! lol), but I'm really not sure how to incorporate the Jacob's Ladder, gardening, or softball into the events we have. I can't add new events, and we have to keep consistency with what we add as substitutes - they can't be completely random. The reality is that not everyone will be able to do all the events, and that's OK....

Hope this helps. Have a great week!

Rebecca
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hey guys -- glad you're liking the challenge! I don't mind clarifying a few things....and we can put to a vote if people disagree, but I think Zumba or other dancing can fall under Aerobics. And field hockey definitely counts for hockey. Everything else though is hard to place. Golf, if you walk the course (no cart), I suppose can count for Athletics (if there is no beer involved! lol), but I'm really not sure how to incorporate the Jacob's Ladder, gardening, or softball into the events we have. I can't add new events, and we have to keep consistency with what we add as substitutes - they can't be completely random. The reality is that not everyone will be able to do all the events, and that's OK....

Rebecca

My vote - for what its worth...
    Zumba - yes for aerobics
    Hockey - haha yes of course!
    Golf, surely if you walk 5kms as part of a game of golf you're logging it as a 5km walk? I dont think a game of golf should just automatically be the equivalent of something - you have to walk the distance to log it!
    Gardening - no way!! There is no gardening in the olympics haha!! It doesnt even remotely resemble a sport!
    Softball - could you just substitute hockey or football instead? They are both team sports played on a field...
    Jacobs Ladder - this isnt anything Ive ever heard of! But in my opinion, you have to actually run / walk the distance to log it - and if you run 1600m in this, then log it, but no more! (It kind of takes the kick out of those who actually do run those distances as part of training to know that you dont have to do these distances to achieve the points...)

Just my thoughts!
  • courtneymal17
    Options

Rebecca

Zumba - yes for aerobics
    Golf, surely if you walk 5kms as part of a game of golf you're logging it as a 5km walk? I dont think a game of golf should just automatically be the equivalent of something - you have to walk the distance to log it!
    Gardening - no way!! There is no gardening in the olympics haha!! It doesnt even remotely resemble a sport!
    Softball - could you just substitute hockey or football instead? They are both team sports played on a field...
    Jacobs Ladder - this isnt anything Ive ever heard of! But in my opinion, you have to actually run / walk the distance to log it - and if you run 1600m in this, then log it, but no more! (It kind of takes the kick out of those who actually do run those distances as part of training to know that you dont have to do these distances to achieve the points...)

Just my thoughts!

Lol the only reason I said golf was because my stupid brother had me convinced it was an olympic sport this year haha. but yeah...softball used to be (*sniffles* cause it's out) I'm more just being nostalgic lol
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Rebecca

Zumba - yes for aerobics

Just my thoughts!

Lol the only reason I said golf was because my stupid brother had me convinced it was an olympic sport this year haha. but yeah...softball used to be (*sniffles* cause it's out) I'm more just being nostalgic lol

Dont worry - in the early stages I emailed Rebecca and said it should be included too - I was convinced it was a sport this year!!!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah, I think jacobs ladder just doesn't fit. it wouldn't work for running/jogging/walking, anyway, just because it's so hard. I was on it for 61 minutes a bit back, just to prove to myself I could do it. and I think I finished that with something around 2600 or 2700 feet.
  • courtneymal17
    Options
    ok I'm clueless what's jacob's ladder?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Jacobs-Ladder.png

ladder is at a 40 degree incline, on a belt feed. so you are essentially on all fours, climbing a never-ending ladder. the braking system is attached to your waist. so the higher you climb, the faster the ladder will feed.

I've yet to find a cardio machine that burns like this one. I can be full-on dripping sweat in 10-15 minutes.
  • courtneymal17
    Options
    dang that's nuts. Ive seen those just didnt know that's what it's called lol. I can't even imagine...there's a stair thing kinda like that atmy gym, but that looks craaaazy