Food suggestions

Options
CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
I am trying to eat primal but I am on a doctor prescribed restricted diet. I am a type 2 diabetic, and have another 83 lbs to go. I am trying to stay within the following:
1800 calories
<1500 mg sodium
<200 g Cholesterol
45% fat (90 g)
20 % carbs (90 g)
35% protein (158 g)

With these restrictions, I am having a problem reaching my calories. I am often 400 calories short and that is not including exercise calories.

Does anyone have suggestions for high calorie, low sodium, low carb food? I am not as concerned with fat content. Also, I really don't want to have to concoct something every day.

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I'm lazy so I'm making meatballs today for lunches this week-- meat is a good source of calories. So are nuts and oils. Maybe add more oils in?
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Grab a handful of unsalted almonds, cashews, or walnuts.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    pork rinds
    nuts - almonds, pecans, cashews (make sure they are raw and unsalted since you are watching sodium)
    Guacamole with some baby carrots or red pepper strips
    berries - blueberries, strawberries,
    a SMALL apple with fresh almond butter
  • ChunkyChickn
    ChunkyChickn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    dried unsweetened coconut shreds (thick flakes) or dried coconut meat -- Mmmmm...so good! Has plenty of great fats
    anything with avocado. Do a search for baked avocado fries
    Smoothie with coconut milk

I love pork rinds, but watch what they are fried in. Stay away from processed vegetable oils as they cause more inflammation.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I have bags of raw nuts in the pantry, don't know why I didn't think of it. I eat lots of berries, most of my daily carbs come from berries. We go to the farmers market twice a week to get fresh blue, black, straw and raspberries. I'll look for low sodium pork rinds, maybe at Whole Foods?