Recent places you have found a sneak attack of dairy...

Options
BeesKnees181
BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
I just started taking a new brand of supplements. I was so excited about their probiotics...guess what? First ingredient: Skim milk. ARGH.

Replies

• SEDIMATTEO
    Options
    Natural allergy relief. Milk based. How ironic is that? Milk is my worst allergy, and will land me in the emergency room!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Was surprised to see it in some frozen meatballs recently.. you couldn't taste it in there but there was cheese in them.

Another was a taco seasoning mix a family member wanted me to use which contained "dairy and whey".
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting to this. I think it can be helpful. Seasoning mixes are tough. I have taken to seasoning myself, these days. But I never would have guessed in taco seasoning!
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bread! I've made my own sandwich bread for a few months, but the recipe has powdered milk, and this loaf is barely started (made it before going DF). I'm going to the store today and I guess Freihofer's brand is both milk-free and HFCS-free, but I bought a package of Pepperidge Farms sandwich buns for homemade veggie burgers that I planned for dinner tonight, and they have milk in them! I'm now having trouble finding a sandwich bun made without milk and HFCS. I can just see myself standing in the bread aisle for like an hour reading labels and trying to find one. Though I'm thinking I'll just leave the buns I have for my boyfriend and eat by burger on pita bread or something.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    VeganMotoGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Rice Dream shreadded "Cheese" - had Casein in it. and Soy Sation Shreaded "Cheese" also using Casein. I thought these cheese alterniatives were supposed to be dairy free. Sure they are lactose free but not completely dairy free. I worry that these are marketed to Vegitarians and Vegans who think that they are eating animal free products and they are not. So far Daiya Cheese is the only shreaded dairy free cheese I can find easily.
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bread! I've made my own sandwich bread for a few months, but the recipe has powdered milk, and this loaf is barely started (made it before going DF). I'm going to the store today and I guess Freihofer's brand is both milk-free and HFCS-free, but I bought a package of Pepperidge Farms sandwich buns for homemade veggie burgers that I planned for dinner tonight, and they have milk in them! I'm now having trouble finding a sandwich bun made without milk and HFCS. I can just see myself standing in the bread aisle for like an hour reading labels and trying to find one. Though I'm thinking I'll just leave the buns I have for my boyfriend and eat by burger on pita bread or something.

Bread is public enemy number one for me. It's so frustrating... I went out to dinner the other day and wanted to treat myself to a burger (I had the calories left) - but this restaurant put milk in their batter for anything fried, they put buttermilk in the frier, and the burger buns had milk in them. I was forced into a Salad, which wasn't so bad, but I really wanted to treat myself.

Also, this is the 3rd restaurant I've been to recently that said they put milk in their friers, so that's something else to watch out for... no french fries or onion rings or chicken wings (not that we should really be eating that, but it was just interesting to know).
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got sick once from bunble bee tuna. I looked online because the tuna was the only thing I ate that could possibly had made me sick and I found out that some processed meat contains protiens from milk but they don't even have to put it on the lable for some reason. The lable just said tuna and water. Since then I believe I read on the bumblebee site that they changed their product and it no longer contains these protiens. But I still stick with chicken of the sea because I know it's safe.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning is a definite!
    http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/2010/03/ortega-taco-seasoning/

Try this recipe for homemade taco seasoning
    Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
    1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
    1 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
    1 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
    1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
    1 Teaspoon Paprika
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    Instructions

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
    When ready to use the seasoning, add 3/4 cup water along with the seasoning blend.
    Bring to a boil
    Reduce heat to medium to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Not really a sneak attack but I was not ready for it. I purposely ordered a french onion soup from panera with no cheese (citing I am unable to have cheese). It is pretty frustrating to have to bring the soup back when you realize that they put ASIAGO croutons on top of the soup. I just wish people were more educated with allergies.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Walmart USDA choice steak! Who would think a steak? All I had was a potato with my fake butter (absolutely no dairy), and the steak. I got totally sick. When I looked online it listed "natural flavoring" in the ingredients. And we all know that can be just about anything. I knew some processed meats can contain milk protiens that may not be listed on the lable; but this was indeed a sneak attack!
  • raethepain
    raethepain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Instant porridge oats! Very annoying!
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Probiotics without dairy

The brand "Nutrition Now" PB8 has a vegetarian formula that is milk free. You have to read the label carefully, because the non-vegetarian product has milk. I buy them at The Vitamin Shoppe.
  • amazon69
    amazon69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My allergy Doctor told me that their office was just sent a notice that McDonald's soaks the french fries in milk before freezing. This makes them more stable for shipping to the stores.
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe how many butter-free spreads have buttermilk or other milk products in it. It's like every single thing has to be scrutinized. Then there was this creamy lentil stuff that tastes just like chili. I ate it like 3 days in a row, wondering why I was feeling so congested, and then realized it had actual cream in it. I could swear that the person doing the demo said it was vegan, but maybe she just said vegetarian.

Then there was the time I went to Applebees, thinking that I'd find a wide array of options. Except that there were only two items I could choose from, and then I found out they'd sauteed the onion slice in butter.

Or this golf course restaurant, which had only two options - grilled chicken or grilled fish. I got the grilled chicken. I also asked if they had plain rice instead of rice pilaf, and I was told, "No, I'm sorry, we don't." So I said just steamed green beans and grilled chicken. I figured out that they actually drenched both in butter :( Then I happened to look over at my coworker, and he had black beans and rice - with plain rice! I could have ordered that and asked them to hold the beans.
  • proudmymmysj
    proudmymmysj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started taking a new brand of supplements. I was so excited about their probiotics...guess what? First ingredient: Skim milk. ARGH.

Sweeteners for me. Luckily I'm only intolerant and always keep to the same brand at home. However while out we used some and later found our they had milk in! Like seriously why do you need milk in sweeteners!

I also only just found out that dark chocolate rarely has milk in after years of assuming all chocolate other to free from would have milk In.
  • hiiamamie
    hiiamamie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Over the years - I have learned, sooo many kinds of hotdogs. Salen's for the win!
  • hiiamamie
    Options
    Lily dark mini chips are a great sweet/craving fix and you don't need many. Dairy free, walmart.
  • CottonwoodMama1
    CottonwoodMama1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Zyrtec allergy medicine was most recent surprise. I'm part of the Utah Food Allergy group and those moms are very on top of what foods have what. They are always listing which foods/places have or don't have all the different allergens. It has been a life saver!
    Once when traveling we thought we would stop at an Olive Garden. I'm pretty sure the only thing on the menu I could have was a plain chicken breast. I've found that anything "Italian" will always have some kind of dairy, even just marinara.
    As I read through this thread I realized there may be foods that I've eaten that did have dairy. I never thought about steaks or hotdogs.
  • hiiamamie
    Options
    It took me a long time to learn about hotdogs as kid. There are brands that are fine. Salhen's Orginal is our favorite and has a nice snap. Steaks - I can only eat them when home or at a fine steakhouse with handing a note to the staff. No chains!
  • hiiamamie
    Options
    @proudmymmysj sweeteners have dairy in them. I know I get sick from some sugar alchols - but I didn't know there are hidden dairy in them - which products?