Cloth Diapers

Options

Replies

• kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mpederson - I live in a one level house too. I think the trick is to keep it close to a bathroom and where you will be changing your little one.
    When we lived in an apartment I used a wet pail and kept it in the laundry room and washed every other or every two days. It was fine. really especially if you get a cover for the wet pail. When we moved to the house I inherited an extra trashcan that I cleaned out and shook some baking soda in the bottom of and then took a large wet bag ( probably like the bag the lady give you) and used that as my pail liner. If she gave you a small wet bag then it's probably to keep in your diaper bag so you have somewhere to put soiled diapers when you are out and about.
    Once a twice a week usually at the beginning and the end sometimes once a week depending on my son now that he's older...I wash all the diapers and the liner. I think whether you use a dry or wet pail is really up to you. We keep the diaper pal in the hall bathroom which my step son uses and just move it out when he's at the house. we also have a diaper sprayer that I use on all the poopy diapers so the poop is not just sitting in the pal. In the summer time I would wash more frequently especially if you get flies in the house.

I never used vinegar on my diapers although it's perfectly fine I heard they kind of strip them...which they need every once in a while and it's a natural way of doing that. I have had to strip my diapers once when my son got a yeast infection and I used a little bleach with extra rinses for that because I wanted to be sure. The other thing I do which doesn't necessarily cut down on the wash is I was my inserts and perfolds seperate from the covers and AIO because I was finding the velcro (aplix) closures were sticking to the cotton and making a bit of a issue. I know many people who wash everything together and swear by it but for me the two washes work better.
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I am sure this has been asked but what detergent do you use? I have tried reading up on it because I would really like to buy something that I can get at any store. I am using thirstie covers
  • kelley_m
    Options
    I am sure this has been asked but what detergent do you use? I have tried reading up on it because I would really like to buy something that I can get at any store. I am using thirstie covers

I use free and clear tide the powder. When I can afford it I buy some rockin green but since I wash everything else in tide free and clear I use that on the diapers as well...so far no issues. I had been using some liquid detergent before but I am finding the powder works better.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

www.diaperjungle.com has a rating of which detergents are the best for diapers :)
  • kelley_m
    Options
    That was a through list... I think I may try a different detergent after all...thanks for sharing.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    BusyPK - have you ever tried a ragababe diaper?

Nope, never tried them, but have heard great things about them! I am a BumGenius fan and now that I am diapering 2 boys and am pregnant with #3 I am not buying different brands to try right now.

I use Tide Free powder as well. Tide works best getting my diapers clean and I've tried Rockin' Green and Charlies Soap. And sometimes, gasp, I use regular Tide powder. :laugh: No build-up in my diapers either.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am CDing...I am starting with prefolds and covers, and grabbing some other kinds for when she is bigger when the are on sale. Madison's Organics online is having a store closing sale, so I grabbed a few things there. Cottonbabies does have free shipping, too, and they were fast. Spot's corner also has a lot of resale dipes pretty cheap.

I hear mixed reviews on the Gdipes, which are a hybrid. There are a lot of hybrids out there to consider -- like the Grovia and Flips, too...they both make disposable inserts as well.

I am not so sure what I will do about flushable liners. I have some, but DH is concerned that they will clog the pipes, and thinks we should just toss them in the trash if they are icky. The ladies on the Bump suggest using fleece liners that you can make yourself and plopping the poops in the toilet...and if the fleece liner is too icky you can just toss it since it is so inexepensive.
  • busyPK
    Options
    I am not so sure what I will do about flushable liners. I have some, but DH is concerned that they will clog the pipes, and thinks we should just toss them in the trash if they are icky. The ladies on the Bump suggest using fleece liners that you can make yourself and plopping the poops in the toilet...and if the fleece liner is too icky you can just toss it since it is so inexepensive.

We actually put a layer of microfleece in our BumGenius Elemental diapers (organic cotton inner). It makes it easy to spray off poopy diapers and keeps the stains mostly away from the organic cotton which stains very easily (although if you can lay them out in the sun while they are clean but wet that will help the stains dissapear). I just bought a yard of microfleece from the fabric store and cut them up to fit the diapers we have - they don't fray at the edges or anything! :smile:
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options

We actually put a layer of microfleece in our BumGenius Elemental diapers (organic cotton inner). It makes it easy to spray off poopy diapers and keeps the stains mostly away from the organic cotton which stains very easily (although if you can lay them out in the sun while they are clean but wet that will help the stains dissapear). I just bought a yard of microfleece from the fabric store and cut them up to fit the diapers we have - they don't fray at the edges or anything! :smile:

BusyPK : I'm interested in the microfiber fleece inserts.. I have kawaii diapers with inserts and I don't want to use disposable liners because it defeats the purpose.. Once you cut up your piceces and everything, do you put it right over the diaper (between the diaper and baby's bottom) ? It dosen't slip and slide and make more messes?
    And then for washing - do you rince the liners and add to your wet bag/bucket ?

Another question - i was told to keep a bucket with a lid, add water, baking soda and vinegar and just put all dirty diapers in there to soak utill the wash.. how do you do it?
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    We used cloth diapers for several years. Right now I'm using disposables on my 15 month old because she's so petite that what we have doesn't work for her. And I'm too overwhelmed with laundry anyway. Maybe I'll try again with this next baby.
  • busyPK
    Options
    BusyPK : I'm interested in the microfiber fleece inserts.. I have kawaii diapers with inserts and I don't want to use disposable liners because it defeats the purpose.. Once you cut up your piceces and everything, do you put it right over the diaper (between the diaper and baby's bottom) ? It dosen't slip and slide and make more messes?

Another question - i was told to keep a bucket with a lid, add water, baking soda and vinegar and just put all dirty diapers in there to soak utill the wash.. how do you do it?

Kawaii diapers, I believe, have a more "stay-dry" material that touches baby's skin so microfleece liners aren't really needed, until you are trying to help with poop clean-up. We use the microfleece because organic cotton touches baby's skin and it stains very easily and also is wet to the touch (not stay-dry). But yes, you ahve it right. The microfleece is what is between the diaper and baby's bum and it doesn't slip around at all for my boys. I put the microfleece liners, diapers and cloth wipes all in our trash can that was use for all dirty diapers. We do not use a "wet" type of diaper style like you are talking about. I've never needed to. We wash every 48 hours and don't have problems with stink/stains/etc. with our dry type of dirty diaper trash can system. :smile:
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options

The only thing I want to stress is read what is recommended for your diaper by the maker. I was told to use vinegar in each wash. However, when I looked on the companies website it said not to use vinegar and that it would void any form of warranty of there product.

I have only been doing cd for 2 weeks with my newborn but love it so far. We also go the dry route and I down them in Tue wash before I actually wash them.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about it. Both my husband and I are full time employees, so cloth diapering may not be feasible for us unless I'm working from home, but I don't like the environmental impact of disposable non-degradable diapers either.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about it. Both my husband and I are full time employees, so cloth diapering may not be feasible for us unless I'm working from home, but I don't like the environmental impact of disposable non-degradable diapers either.

My husband and I are full-time as well. All the daycare providers I have spoken with are perfectly happy doing cloth as well, they just require a separate trashcan for the cloth ones and then you take them home everyday.

The new cloth diapers seem almost easier than disposable!
  • busyPK
    Options

Both my husband and I worked full-time while my first son was in a licensed, home daycare (for his 1st year of life) and she had no problem using our cloth diapers. We brought enough clean ones each morning in a clean wetbag (got the simple, like disposable ones so it was easy) and then took the wetbag with the dirty diapers home every night. It was rather simple really if you can find a provider that is willing. Just show the provider/daycare facility you are interviewing the diapers you have and they may have no issues with it!
  • jenns65
    jenns65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am cloth diapering this baby. I am using prefolds and covers for the NB stage then mostly Bum Genius one size after. I am so excited since my son always had a rash or we were trying to prevent a rash since his skin is very sensitive. I had my NB stash done when I was 14 weeks and I am now working on my OS stash.

My husband is not excited at all but I am the SAHM so I will be doing most of the work so I finally told him that is is my decision. He finally got over it when I showed him that cloth diapers are not like they used to be with pins and plastic pants. My family still gives me a hard time and my grandparents refuse to change their minds about how they are now even with me showing them how far they have come.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I will have to read this after work. I really want to try cloth diapering as well. I think for me though it will be both cloth and disposable. This is my first child so it will all be a learning process. I'm not sure that I will be able to handle cloth diapering as soon as we get home.
  • busyPK
    Options
    I am cloth diapering this baby. I am using prefolds and covers for the NB stage then mostly Bum Genius one size after. I am so excited since my son always had a rash or we were trying to prevent a rash since his skin is very sensitive. I had my NB stash done when I was 14 weeks and I am now working on my OS stash.

My husband is not excited at all but I am the SAHM so I will be doing most of the work so I finally told him that is is my decision. He finally got over it when I showed him that cloth diapers are not like they used to be with pins and plastic pants. My family still gives me a hard time and my grandparents refuse to change their minds about how they are now even with me showing them how far they have come.

You have a great system in place! Prefolds/covers are great for the itty bitty newborn stage! It might take you some time to find the folding style you like with your prefolds (do you have any snappi's?), but once you do, you will be able to change those diapers fast! :wink: I love BumGenius diapers - they are all we use on both my sons (2.5yo and 9mo). Love the one-size aspect and they fit both my boys on the smallest setting by around 6-8wks old (they were both 8lbs when born and gained weight pretty quickly). Once your baby is in cloth and you are doing it, your family will shut up (at least mine did). :laugh:
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I use the GroVia All In 2's, and LOVE them!
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's raining outside so I decided to start nesting......and make an inventory of my cloth diaper stash. I've been buying gently used cd's locally and buying new cd's online when I find good sales. I found myself getting a little too excited when I found a great deal and realized that I had no idea what I actually had! So after taking an inventory I seperated them into the small stash for newborn stage and then the rest of them.

Newborn stash:
    - 8 AMP one size pocket duo size small
    - 1 Grovia AIO newborn
    -2 Thirsties duo wrap coversize 1 with size 1 inserts
    -1 tots bots AIO
    -2 applecheeks size 1pocket diapers
    -4 newborn Kawaii pure & natural newborn

Other stash:
    -2 Thirsties duo wraps with inserts
    -3 bitti tutto one size pocket diapers
    -5 kushies AIO
    -8 Baby Kanga Pocket
    -4 Grovia AIO I think two are the flip kind
    -3 bum genious AIO
    -4 Alva baby pocket diapers

I had no idea I had that many, not when I was buying 4 at a time. So the only fear that I have now is that I have a great variety of diapers but they are all a bit different. I feel like i'm going to have to keep a binder with a "how to use" and "how to wash" list for each brand. I bought the bitti tutto brand from an online sale and they just might be the trickiest. The diaper comes with 4 inserts that snap together that you can use in a number of combinations. They are color coded for boys and girls. Not sure about that one......they might just be too complicated. Has anyone used the Alvababy brand? I scored these four for less than $10 new on ebay. They are microfleece inners and liners with a PUL cover and the cutest prints. For that price I thought sure let's try them but when I was able to compare them to the other diapers they seem very very lean. I'm not sure if they'll hold up or maybe i'll have to add another insert. This manufacturer also said to wash the liners and covers seperately. That seems like a pain.

So, does anyone wash their liners and covers seperately? Considering the wide variety of diapers I ended up with will I be able to prep them and later wash them all the same? Also considering the wide variety of diapers and assuming most work for me do you see any gaps I might need to fill?

Sheesh! hope I haven't gotten in over my head here.