Confused

Options
BlueStar1989
BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
I've read the topic and I'm ready to stick it out for another month if that is what it takes. I'm not looking for anything to just drop off over night, but I can't understand the math that goes into counting calories. I have never really had a firm grasp on my net or activity level and both have changed with summers arrival because I have more time to dedicate to my workouts. The main thing that confuses me is calories in. I've figured my TDEE at 2400 and 20% cut at 1920, BMR at 1570. While I'm still kinda confused about the numbers, I have tried to add more activity and more healthy choices into my lifestyle. I walk between 6 and 10 miles a day and strength training 3 days a week, and although I feel better I have yet to see really changes. I still gain and loose that same 2 pounds that I've been cycling through for the past six months. I've tried to net my BMR and until summer started I was doing a good job of meeting that goal. Now I've been attempting to figure my exercise calories on a daily basis which has lead me to wonder if I'm really even netting my BMR these days. Please help me figure this out so I can get back on track in the end of my second year of healthier living. I want to be sure that I find a healthy safe way to loose these last 10 to 20 pounds in a way that I will be able to keep them gone for good. My dairy is open and I am open to suggestions from anyone. I split my walks into am and pm sessions so that my bad knee can play catch up while healing and getting stronger after a recent injury.

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you haven't been consistent enough to really tell what's going on.

You said you having been eating at your cut but then you changed the amount of activity you're doing, plus you said you have been playing around with eating back exercise calories as you earn them.

I think this is kind of messing with things and you need to pick your number and stick with it for 6-8 weeks before reevaluating.
  • BlueStar1989
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories I just tally them up because I'm not sure I have the numbers set right. I have been eating at my bmr for the past month. I lost a pound and gained it back over the course of that month. I'm willing to allow my body to adjust in any way it needs to I just want to be sure I'm doing it the right way and not causing more problems
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You might need a slight increase in calories if you are eating just at your BMR.

Have you considered raising your calories to the 15% cut?
  • lindsayjdodd
    lindsayjdodd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You might need a slight increase in calories if you are eating just at your BMR.

Have you considered raising your calories to the 15% cut?

^^^ This!! I would recommend going to the 15% cut and sticking with it consistently for 4-6 weeks.
  • BlueStar1989
    Options
    thanks for your suggestion. I knew it was likely that I wasn't always eating enough, but I wasn't sure about the numbers. I'm glad that I found a place where I could ask the questions I needed to ask without to many negative or confusing answers. Thank you all for your helpfulness with my problem.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    thanks for your suggestion. I knew it was likely that I wasn't always eating enough, but I wasn't sure about the numbers. I'm glad that I found a place where I could ask the questions I needed to ask without to many negative or confusing answers. Thank you all for your helpfulness with my problem.

Thats why this group is so awesome!!!
  • BlueStar1989
    Options
    now that I have the cut values set any suggestions on carbs protein and fat % numbers?
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    most of us do 40/30/30(c/p/f):wink:
  • BlueStar1989
    Options
    thanks for the feedback plumsgrl