Scared but takin' charge

Options
On May 18th, I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. Just weeks before I was told I had hypertension. I've also been dealing with severe depression for the past few years. This new news both overwhelmed me and shocked me to my core. While at times I've wished to die, I absolutely do not want to survive a heart attack or stroke only to find myself struggling with a body that doesn't work normally! So I decided to take charge.

I started by restricting my sodium because I do not want to be on bp meds. Fortunately, I am one of those people sensitive to sodium. My blood pressures have fallen into the normal level. Yeah! One bullet avoided.

Next, I started really counting my carbs and testing my blood sugars. My doctor put me on Metformin. Most of my readings are in the acceptable range. Though I can't help but want them to be in the normal range. I feel disappointed when they're not. Like I failed!

Somewhere I've found the energy for the short-term, but I don't know if I have what it takes for forever. Yet, somehow I must! I must keep taking charge each day. Or if that's too much each moment.

Replies

• StartingAtSixty
    StartingAtSixty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know the feelings you have.. I have been a diabetic type 2 for several years.. I also take Metformin..I have been told that if I lose weight I may be able to stop alot of my meds.. I have 5 stents in my heart and take blood pressure pills as well.. I am the prime example of what not to do... But that will not always be the case.. as I am starting a new path today.. I am sick of being sick, especially when most of it is my fault.. I applaud you.. We can do this! God Bless...♥
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have had T2 for about a year now. I started out really good...watching my carbs, getting low readings. Because I felt good, I slipped back into my old habits. I wasnt testing....I was afraid to.

I take metformin as well, although I cant handle the side effects anymore and will be talking to my doctor when I go back in 10 days. But for the last 3 weeks since I came here, when I hit bottom, my sugar has been under 100 consistently. I WILL lose the weight and get off these pills forever. I never did like taking ANY medication and having to take this stuff twice a day makes ME feel like a failiure.

I also suffer from depression, although its moderate. I am fortunate in that I have never had an issue with blood pressure. The day I was released from the hospital last year, the doctor told me that, except for the T2, I was in excellent health....they checked my heart, liver, pancreas....no problems at all, so for that I am grateful. I eat pretty low carbs and high protein...you can friend me if you like. Its going to be a long journey for me, too....but I brought this on myself and only I can change it. Good luck with your new life! For people like us, its not a choice....its a necessity.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There is no need to feel that you are responsible for having Type 2. While it's true that an inappropriate lifestyle can be a contributing factor, it is not the sole cause and current research is begining to recognise that genetic factors also influence the outcome. As often happens, the media jump on a bandwaggon and point fingers. Do not become a victim of lazy journalism. Simply accept that you are where you are for whatever reason, and use the help available to take charge of your condition and do what you can to get the best possible outcome You have already made a positive start and I wish you well on your journey.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    There is no need to feel that you are responsible for having Type 2. While it's true that an inappropriate lifestyle can be a contributing factor, it is not the sole cause and current research is begining to recognise that genetic factors also influence the outcome. As often happens, the media jump on a bandwaggon and point fingers. Do not become a victim of lazy journalism. Simply accept that you are where you are for whatever reason, and use the help available to take charge of your condition and do what you can to get the best possible outcome You have already made a positive start and I wish you well on your journey.
    This is very true. Researchers are looking at the fact that diabetes may cause people to get fat rather than the other way around. Also realize there are a lot of type 2s that range from barely plump to very skinny and yet they still have it. I was diagnosed at 34 and was barely plump. I lost some weight and still had it. I have never been solely diet controlled but have always been on met. Now I'm 46 and have progressed from 1000 mg met to 2000 mg met, low carb and still am not consistently getting good BG. I work out regularly and have a few pounds on me but nothing close to obese yet my control is getting worse and worse.

I always believe that we need to do whatever it takes to reach good control. If that means taking drugs, so be it. You didn't fail, your body is just doing what it is doing despite your best efforts. Don't beat yourself up. Do your best to take care of yourself.
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised if your depression improves as you get better control of your sugar T2 will totally throw your hormones for a loop and cause or worsen depression, anxiety and other mental illness's but the more you gain control the better you will feel in the long run. Good luck
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    the metformin made me sick at first but eventually i adapted to it. I started out 299 when i was dignosed in january of this year. The end of march on my doctor visit i had lost 30 lbs and my morning readings were very good . I was taken off one dose.I only take half a pill a day now. My numbers are still good. If they go up i can usually figure what caused it. It can be done . Just hang in there take one day at a time. Eventually you will know yourself and what works for you.. Good luck:smile:

mo
  • Bibliokat
    Bibliokat Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't be surprised if your depression improves as you get better control of your sugar. Good luck.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Something to hope for.
  • Bibliokat
    Bibliokat Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow! That's great. Proof that losing the weight will help.
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing the right things. Remember to take it 1 day at a time. I have been type 2 for years and have been successful with controlling my BG with diet, exercise, and meds. I am now working with my Dr. To get off the meds. It does not happen overnight, so stay calm, eat right, exercise and enjoy life. The best help I have had is the day I decided to eat to live and not live to eat. Today I eat what what my body needs and have found these are now the foods I enjoy. It has been a long slow process but I am being successful and plan on living a long life and seeing all my grandchildren grow up and enjoying life with the love of my life.

If you need a friend fell free to add me.

Keep your chin up, smile, and remember to be good to everybody because everybody is having a tough time.

God bless and good luck.
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    I've been T2 for 5 years. The A1c dropped after the initial diagnosis through watching my eating, a bit of exercise, and a boost from Metformin. The numbers started to creep up so the doc switched me to Janumet (metformin and januvia) and that held the numbers down for more time. Then it started to creep up and I think last summer the A1c was 6.7, still okay but on the rise. In September I started MFP and lost about 20 lbs before I saw the doc again in Dec. with a new A1c of 5.7. I knew it would be under 6 because of the fasting numbers ~ sweet. Since then I've only lost another 5 lbs but the fastings are avg about 100 so I think the numbers may go down again. Keep in mind that I could lose another 25 lbs before I reach the simply "Heavy" BMI category. The attention to diet and exercise here has really helped me live a healthier life. You may need to change meds along the way. So much depends on the balance of calories in --> out as well the pancreatic activity and insulin resistance of your own unique body.
    Hang in there!
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    And stop beating yourself up. You are not always the source of trouble. Take a good long look at your gene pool. Did you invent the diagnosis in your family or does the family tree look more like a checker board? Mine dose.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You are so not alone! It is a struggle to come to terms with it. I was diagnosed with type 2 at the same time I found out I was pregnant. I lost the pregnancy due to my A1C being 11.7. My A1C was 8.7 one month after my first test.
    I am checking my sugar 7 times a day, taking insulin before meals and at bedtime, and taking Metformin. The more weight I loose, the easier it is to keep me sugar down. I hate the injections, but they will be necessary when I get pregnant again(easier to start it now, then start it later).
    So, Chin up! Read up! Educate yourself about it! Become empowered! We will thrive and survive!
  • teacherspet50
    Options
    Remember please that it's a day to day trip with diabetes. It is NOT something that goes away forever, but YOU are in control. And it appears that you are determined to be so. Good for you!
    There are so many things besides foods that will affect your Bg's. Stress, life, sickness, some friends have told me even high and low pressure readings affect theirs., So you learn there are things you can control. and there are things you can't. You take your readings and work from there....if they are high you work your way through those. Some of those things you can't control. And don't devalue the use of exercise....even walking for 10 minutes will help you oui. And finally,, REMEMBER THIS: I heard it from Ella Fitzgerald when I was first diagnosed 12 years ago, "You are NOT diabetes, You have diabetes, it doesn't have you, because YOU are in control". Good for you!
  • AmyisCrazy
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few months ago with type 2 along with the neuropathy in the legs and hands and I am with you on the hypertension.I was given capoten for mine which it has helped keep my bp in the normal ranges ever since I started taking it thankfully but there are some side effects that come and go.The doctor said those would go away as my body adjusted but doesnt seem fast enough for me since its been two months lol.I have found so far that there are days I don't feel like moving and my levels are crazy and all over the chart and I dont know if Im coming or going .But I focus on my family and use them as the reason to get up and continue the fight.We didnt ask to be hit by diabetes but now that we have with groups like these and local groups you can join there will always be someone you can relate to and know you aren't alone in this daily struggle.Keep your chin up and stay strong :)