Getting started with lifting

Options
Mistymath
Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
I feel kind of intimidated about lifting because I really know very little about it. I don't know what's what as far as equipment, and I don't have much of a concept of where to start.

Should I just buy NROLFW and jump in? Do you have other resources you can suggest? Maybe YouTube videos? I don't know why I'm so nervous about this aspect of exercise/fitness, but I've gotten into a real comfort zone with my cardio. I'm doing 30-70 minutes every day of cardio, and I know I need to change things up some.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did you see this dumbell only home or gym full body workout? Maybe that would be a good place to start. There are videos showing the exercises.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html?page=20
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!

Do you go to a gym now ? If so, I'd utilize the services of a trainer there to get acquainted with the basics . Form/ technique is very important and you may feel more comfortable learning hands-on with a trainer. Weights were not my comfort zone, so thats how I started.

With that said, I k ow folks get started and do well at home. NROLFW, Strong Lifts 5x5 are good . I would highly recommend NROLFW ...great information relative to nutrition in there as well.

Good luck!
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!

Do you go to a gym now ? If so, I'd utilize the services of a trainer there to get acquainted with the basics . Form/ technique is very important and you may feel more comfortable learning hands-on with a trainer. Weights were not my comfort zone, so thats how I started.

With that said, I k ow folks get started and do well at home. NROLFW, Strong Lifts 5x5 are good . I would highly recommend NROLFW ...great information relative to nutrition in there as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will check out the links and videos when I get home this afternoon.

I am currently working out at an on-campus facility where I work, but I'm actually not sure if trainers are offered. I will ask about it this afternoon when I go. It makes sense that form is important ... definitely don't want to sideline myself with an injury from lifting incorrectly.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    WOOPS!

I forgot about Bodybuilding.com

free, free, free!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Everyone has made some great points. There are tons of free programs out there if you do a little digging.
    When I was first getting started, Cathe videos were what I started with. If you prefer to work out at home, they are a great option. They are a bit more expensive than other videos, but so worth it. definitely the best ones out there. Just another option.
    Her website: http://cathe.com
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into the Cathe dvds and wanted to point out that she has downloads as well, which I thought was really cool. They're currently 15% off dvds and 20% off downloads if you spend at least $20. Just put SAVE15 or SAVE20 in the promotional code area to get the discount. It expires at the end of June.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    body rock tv looks good too and i am starting tomorrow. I am going to do the 30 day challenge ... even though it was for May it is still able to be done. It has it posted as week 1 day 1, week 1 day 2 etc etc

http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/all-workouts/page/2/

I don't have NROLFW either and have a couple of dumbells so i will see how this goes and maybe progress up.

:flowerforyou: